Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 Line-in failure  (Read 3545 times)

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
R09 Line-in failure
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Well I guess that it was bound to happen to me.
But my R09 Line-in port failed to work at this past weekends gig.

I plugged into the DJ's mixing board in his RCA Tape Out port, and got "Nothing".  Looked at all of the settings, but nothing worked.

Luckily I had a spare Marantz PMD620 recorder to wok with which worked flawlessly, with the exception of the batteries dying, as I didn't replace these before the gig as I hadn't expected to use it.  But I always carry extra power if needed.

My question is, if it is possible or worth it to fix the R09's Line-in port or simply scrap the unit and pickup another PMD620 (which I was going to do anyway) or a new R09R.

I already own and a Edirol R-44 (which I wanted to use this night, but didn't have enough time to set it up as I was running late), Zoom H2, Marantz PMD620 and of course the Edirol R09 (which is one of the first generation units BTW).  I do cideo production and use all of these recorders for different situations, so I will need another small recorder to replace the R09 if I scrap it.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: R09 Line-in failure
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »
Sorry to hear of your R09 troubles.

When my line in jack went I tried my best to solder it, but there just was not enough trace on the circuit board to work with. I think Edirol will replace the board for some where around $150. Maybe you can try and talk them into doing it for free being it's a known problem, then sell it before the new board goes.

I used the mic in jack on mine for a couple of months after the line in broke. Had to keep the levels on the R09 and the preamp way low. Never had any problems and it still made good recordings. The internal mics should still work as well, might have some value to someone that will only use the mic in or the internal mics.

I ended up keeping mine as a loaner stealth deck.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:24:32 AM »
Well I guess that it was bound to happen to me.
But my R09 Line-in port failed to work at this past weekends gig.

I plugged into the DJ's mixing board in his RCA Tape Out port, and got "Nothing".  Looked at all of the settings, but nothing worked.

Luckily I had a spare Marantz PMD620 recorder to wok with which worked flawlessly, with the exception of the batteries dying, as I didn't replace these before the gig as I hadn't expected to use it.  But I always carry extra power if needed.

My question is, if it is possible or worth it to fix the R09's Line-in port or simply scrap the unit and pickup another PMD620 (which I was going to do anyway) or a new R09R.

I already own and a Edirol R-44 (which I wanted to use this night, but didn't have enough time to set it up as I was running late), Zoom H2, Marantz PMD620 and of course the Edirol R09 (which is one of the first generation units BTW).  I do cideo production and use all of these recorders for different situations, so I will need another small recorder to replace the R09 if I scrap it.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

R-09HR IMHO.
I have a R-09 and I'm one of the lucky ones: the jacks never let me down.
The new R-09HR has no jack failure issues and sounds better than the 620 ( which I also own).
Take care ;)

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »
Thanks all for the reply.
I think that I might keep the R09 as is for mic use only (internal and external), and pickup another recorder.
I am leaning towards another PMD620, only because I like the build so much better on the Marantz over the R09HR.  Although the R09HR has better internal mics, and only slightly better pre amps, I don't know if it's enough for me to jump to the Edirol again over the Marantz.

Also, the jury is still out on the R09HR, as it hasn't been out long enough to see if the issues, such as poor 1/8 inputs have really been corrected.

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
Also, the jury is still out on the R09HR, as it hasn't been out long enough to see if the issues, such as poor 1/8 inputs have really been corrected.

I disassemble my R09HR the day I got it, before I even powered it up. The jacks are now soldiered with posts going thru the circuit board, not surface mounted like the R09. I see no way it could fail with normal use.

The way the R09 jacks were installed was a very poor design.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com