Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help finding the right hardware for my needs.  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Help finding the right hardware for my needs.
« on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
Hey there.

I have spent the last few days looking around for something that I can pickup for ~250 bucks. I currently have

SP-CMC-2 [AT-831's] > SP-SB1-SL > Zoom H2.

It works out pretty well for what I am doing. But I am now wanting to have the ability to mix a matrix of SBD + AT-831's and record to SD or CF on the spot. I was looking into the Tascam DP-004 or the DP-02CF. Only problem is I do not think this is going to work for what I am wanting to do. I need the ability to plug my mics in as well as the SBD. I have been reading and see that these only allow for 2 tracks to be recorded at one time. So this would be great had I only been working a soundboard recording but I am wanting to mix on the spot.

Would I be better off just grabbing something simple like the DP-004 and recording the soundboard feed through it and mix the matrix post recording or??

I am not against recording with the zoom as well and mixing later on. I just figured it would be best to mix on the spot.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should be throwing my money towards??

Thanks so much in advance

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help finding the right hardware for my needs.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »
I doubt if you can find a 4 channel recorder for $250, so you might need to matrix 2 recordings.

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
If I do go with the DP-004 for soundboard recording is this a good choice? Am I correct in thinking that I could just run 1/4" from soundboard to backside of the DP-004. Is this going to work out pretty well or would I be better off going with a field recorder and building some sort of passive attenuator and using this in-line before the field recorder. I guess what I am getting at is will I be able to make all the adjustments necessary to record from the SBD on the DP-004 itself or would I still need some other type of mixer to make this happen?

thanks so much
Neil

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
if i had $250 and wanted 4 tracks, i would get another h2.  the clocks wont be PERFECTLY in sync, but it will be close enough that you can matrix them in post and get what your after.

you can find (rarely) a used edirol r-4 for around $600 in the yard sale.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that I could just run 1/4" from soundboard to backside of the DP-004.

From what I understand, soundboard outputs vary from model to model, so you should check in advance to make sure you have the right connectors.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that I could just run 1/4" from soundboard to backside of the DP-004.

From what I understand, soundboard outputs vary from model to model, so you should check in advance to make sure you have the right connectors.

The soundboard I've been pulling from has RCA outputs for recording.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
yeah I have cables and adapters but what I was getting at was will the dp-004 be able to work with a sb feed that is running pretty hot without having to throw some other form of mixer or attenuator in the mix.. I never gave that a thought on sync. How far out of sync could two sources be jess? If I were to go with the tascam (only because the first zoomh2 I purchased had issues and only recorded through left channel. I have since gotten a new one and it is working well but just bothers me seeing that others have had that issue as well) would the recordings be so far out of sync it would make it a nightmare to sync them later?? Or are we talking sync times that would be very noticeable in an audio matrix?

thanks

neil

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
the dp-004 only records 2 tracks at a time

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
correct left and right from soundboard (in my case) but what i was wondering is just how much different the recordings would be.. would i still be able to sync the two recordings with little problem? I would think so but earlier you mentioned that the 'clock' would be somewhat close. Is this just saying it would be somewhat easier to sync the two had they come from the same recorder.

neil

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
correct left and right from soundboard (in my case) but what i was wondering is just how much different the recordings would be.. would i still be able to sync the two recordings with little problem? I would think so but earlier you mentioned that the 'clock' would be somewhat close. Is this just saying it would be somewhat easier to sync the two had they come from the same recorder.

neil

correct.  you should be able to sync the 2 recordings with little problem.  i use 2 jb3 for recording, and have little problem matching the 2 up. search the "computer recording help" forum, and you can find several different ways to do the matrix.

using 2 recorders of the same model, you have the signal going through the same electronics, the same a/d converter, etc etc, and the resulting recordings from the 2 different machines will have little drift between them (im my experience anyways....someone much more knowledgable can give a better explination).

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
I appreciate the reply Jess! That is what I wanted to hear. I am not against getting another H2 but I will need to build an attenuation box adj between 0db-18db so I am able to adjust the level before getting to my H2. The only reason I was even looking at the tascam dp-004 was because of the level adjustment as well as some basic effects. I dont know I will keep looking around and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for all the help

neil

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
I've pulled soundboards with my H2 (line in) with no inline attenuation. The soundboard should be line out level. The board I pulled from is a Allen & Heath GL2200. There is a pot on the board for level. I just set the H2 to unity then adjusted levels from the board. I never got around to trying to matrix the snb with the aud though. I DID listen to them and they were fine. YMMV
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:55 AM »
thanks for that info cybergaloot! I will probably give the sb a shot this next weekend with h2. I have an old nano 2gig 1st gen that I rockboxed. I purchased the male connector which I plan on soldering a stereo jack to. I may use this to record from the board and the H2 to pull my aud feed. I will let everyone know how it turns out if it works haha fingers crossed.

Neil

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
But I am now wanting to have the ability to mix a matrix of SBD + AT-831's and record to SD or CF on the spot. I was looking into the Tascam DP-004 or the DP-02CF. Only problem is I do not think this is going to work for what I am wanting to do. I need the ability to plug my mics in as well as the SBD. I have been reading and see that these only allow for 2 tracks to be recorded at one time. So this would be great had I only been working a soundboard recording but I am wanting to mix on the spot.

Are you looking to record genuine 4-channel, or mix down the matrix on the fly and record 2-track?!

For two track, the obvious answer within the $250 budget is: digimod UA-5 ($115)>iriver H1xx ($135)

A four track recording rig under $250 is tricky. Since you mention the bulky tascam gear, I assume you don't mind open taping, or even AC powering?!

Your best bet would be to pick up a four track sound card ($150) and pair it up with some old el cheapo laptop second hand ($100). I doubt that you will find one with sufficient battery life though, so you'd probably have to power it AC from the soundboard.

If you go that way there are several options. I don't have first hand experience, but you should take a look at:
Presonus Inspire 1394
Tapco Link Firewire 4x6
EMU 0404 USB
Lexicon Lambda
Yamaha Audiogram 6
etc... (there are better sound cards out there, but these are all in the $150 range)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »
I appreciate the reply sunjan. I will have to keep my eyes open for a ua-5. i purchased an iriver h320 (rockboxed) from the yardsale yesterday. for now i will just mix in post but would still love to eventually mix down to 2 track (From both sources 4-track) on the fly. I have a smaller laptop so this is possible.

thanks for the reply

neil

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com