Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My recordings sound muffled... any suggestions?  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: My recordings sound muffled... any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 02:43:17 AM »
Bass end is problematic beyond eq, but here's a quick & dirty foobar curve to bring better goodness-

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Panthro10

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
Bass end is problematic beyond eq, but here's a quick & dirty foobar curve to bring better goodness-

thanks.. I'll give it a try. there was some type of club (heavy bass) show going on in the room next to the one I was taping in and you could completely hear the bass the whole time. 4 bands played that night, on the others' sets, I had to use the "rumble" eliminator in soundbooth set all the way up to 80Hz just to get it to sound ok.. I'm sure I loose some of the bass from the bands, but it's almost unlistenable to me otherwise
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
try recording your stereo and see if the problem is still there!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
did anyone listen to the sample?

It sounds like a sub-card recording in a shitty room...  I'm not so sure the problem is the the recording equipment...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

It sounds like a sub-card recording in a shitty room...  I'm not so sure the problem is the the recording equipment...

sounds likea bad room. maybe the wrong place in a bad room.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:59 PM »
It sounds like a sub-card recording in a shitty room... 

Except that the low bass information is considerably lower in level than would be expected from a recording using sub-cardioids in that situation.  Panthro's explanation of the necessity of applying the 80hz 'rumble eliminator' filter goes a long way toward explaining that anomaly.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:31 PM »
It sounds like a sub-card recording in a shitty room... 

Except that the low bass information is considerably lower in level than would be expected from a recording using sub-cardioids in that situation.  Panthro's explanation of the necessity of applying the 80hz 'rumble eliminator' filter goes a long way toward explaining that anomaly.

It was not applied to sample that I posted
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »
25 feet is a LONG way back...  Try a "stack tape" and see if this changes things for you. Basically tape about 5-7 feet from the pa speaker. If you feel this is less muffled, it's time to study mic placement issues. 

Do this before you spend more money on hypers, mods, pres, etc.

Very similar thread ongoing now...
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122946.0.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:28:39 PM by bugg100 »

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »
Have you tried pointing your mic's in the right direction ?
For example my Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid sounds best when they are in a 45 direction. Like in my case they sound best when they are pointing towards C in the picture below. When they are pointing towards B the recording really sounds muffled.

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline J.D.S.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Skittles or cupcakes, whatever it takes.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »
Are these your first mics? Or were you running something before them?
I know when i went from the at933's to busman mics they sounded a bit muffled since the at933s are very bright sounding mics. The busman mics also sounds a lot like the room. when the room sounds bad and the highs are being sucked up and dying really fast, i have gotten some recordings that could be called a bit muffled.

First set of mics..

I don't think it's so much the room, as i think all of my recordings in different rooms have sounded like this..

1) Running screens and if so what type, thickness, and density? This will subtly change the sound. I've found that for my Busman LD mic, if I run it with the screen, it takes a bite out of the presence bump that the card pattern seems to have, while i I run it open, I get that 8-11khz boost (sometimes thats good, sometimes it's not). That might be enough to cause you to notice, might not.

2) Have you taped the same show as someone else (e.g. been on their stand or really close)? Trade for their tape and compare.

No screens. And I have been the only taper at most of the shows I have taped. But I do have a friend who just got his rig up and running (nak 300's > ua-5 > jb3) so I could run some comparisons with him this summer..

i would say do a comp w/ other Busman mic's, running similar gear as you are. not against the Naks. they're a bright mic imo. plus he's running a UA-5 with it and a JB3 which at most can record 44.1/48. you said you're running 24/48. gonna be a difference.

Are you turning on the HPF?
:P

the amish chicks i got in my basement like black sabbath.  they head bang and churn butter like crazy

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

That was my take. I think I've been in that room...or one's just like it.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Panthro10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
well I recorded the same room last night. I think it sounds a lot better. I used hypers pointed at the stacks. And I was about 10' closer to the stage. I set up right in the middle of the floor. But my battery died like 15 min into the set, and I didn't realize until like 35 min into it.. oh well...
Busman BSC1 > v3 > r44

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
well I recorded the same room last night. I think it sounds a lot better. I used hypers pointed at the stacks. And I was about 10' closer to the stage. I set up right in the middle of the floor. But my battery died like 15 min into the set, and I didn't realize until like 35 min into it.. oh well...

welcome to taping :P You get the right caps and the right location for the room then your batts die....it's always something.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »

welcome to taping :P You get the right caps and the right location for the room then your batts die....it's always something.

No doubt. BUMMER to say the very least :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com