Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-25  (Read 3988 times)

Offline dolzani

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
UA-25
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »
I don't see a lot of talk about the UA-25. Since UA-5's are hard to come by, is the 25 not the answer?

I've read that the 25 doesn't have the RCA inputs, but besides that, if that's not important, would it still be comparable?

thanks-
b

http://www.briandolzani.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: UA-25
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
I don't see a lot of talk about the UA-25. Since UA-5's are hard to come by, is the 25 not the answer?

I've read that the 25 doesn't have the RCA inputs, but besides that, if that's not important, would it still be comparable?

thanks-
b

http://www.briandolzani.com

I don't think anyone has tried the "digimod" on it.  If anyone has one, please take closeup pictures of the insides.  It probably can be digimoded, but noone has tried that I know of.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
Settings controled by software - unless you are using a laptop - no go...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:45:36 PM »

I've stated as such a couple times, but...just found a new pic of the rear of the unit - looks like it may be possible to set bit-depth via the ADV switch, and SR with the, well...SR switch.  So, maybe it's possible to digi-mod after all?

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:07:42 PM »

If someone gives me one (or sells for very cheap), I'll try to digimod it :)

Otherwise my time/money will go to something else, like Edirol R1/R09, etc.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:13:35 PM »
seems like the only power input is via usb.  this could be a problem.  If there is a way to power stuff directly via usb then you should be able to digimod the SD usb pre for a great pre.
mics & cameras

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:26 PM »
I thought Doug Oade looked at the unit and determined it wasn't possible to use it in the field.  I mean, if he can't do it I can't think of any reason why it would be possible.  Especially since he only stands to gain from it monetarily speaking.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:21:30 PM »
I thought Doug Oade looked at the unit and determined it wasn't possible to use it in the field.  I mean, if he can't do it I can't think of any reason why it would be possible.  Especially since he only stands to gain from it monetarily speaking.

If I had to guess, I would say it could be modified.  Powering USB externally is no problem (using +5V from an external supply).  It should just be a matter of tracing stuff out.  The only thing I can think of is if it needs to download firmware from the computer or something.  Anyway, are there any options options that are known to work, besides the UA5?  The AD20, right?

Richard

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »
wonder why there is a USB light on the front if it  will only work when hooked up to a computer, power indicator?

looks much nicer than the ua-5
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:26:12 PM »
its bus powered too right? thinking about this again, i only use my UA-5 with laptop, and wouldnt mind the midi-ins (i mess around in reason alot, but dont have a controller, have to program by hand). hmm....

Roving Sign

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 11:35:31 PM »
On the Oade board - it seems like Doug didnt even crack one open...

...the mods needed to make it work without a PC are more extensive than those needed for the UA5 so it will cost more for the same signal quality. The use of laptops for field recording will decline due to the use of tapeless recorders. The one plus, size, is less meaningful in the absence of a 24 bit storage device, like a 24 bit JB3. For 16 bit stuff, a modified M1/D100 will offer great signal quality in a smaller package. Think of using a PS2 or Schoeps battery mics ( see : http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/specs-cmbi.html ) into a tweaked M1/D100, it is tiny and trumps what can currently be done with the UA25 even after modifications without a 24 bit storage solution. If they were thinking field recording solution for tapers, making it work as a stand alone box would have been on their minds, instead they offer MIDI, ever use that in the field ? Unless someone points out the error in my thinking, I am spending some of my spare time working on new tweaks for the M1/D100.

From another post...

I did not pop one open because it is usable only for laptops but were we told it is UA5 quality. It is a great choice for a low cost interface for a solo musician. I hear from an increasing number of laptoppers that they are ready to ditch them for something like the FR-2. I see this as the future and laptops has having filled a void in the transition from DAT to HD and Solid State recording.

Offline dolzani

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:42:56 PM »
  Anyway, are there any options options that are known to work, besides the UA5?  The AD20, right?

Richard

I'm new at this but yes, I think the AD-20 is comparable. Though it looks half the size and a lot less buttons/things to tweak. So feature-wise, I don't know. But conceptually, yes.

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
I think the AD-20 has some issues with the gain - like it has a certain amount of inherent gain? - making it easy to overload...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com