Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick microtrack help  (Read 4089 times)

Offline jkeats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
quick microtrack help
« on: June 14, 2006, 07:01:52 AM »
Hello,

So after buying a microtrack about 8 or 9 months ago and leaving it unopened in a drawer until now, I will finally be taking the wrapping off and using it tonight.  Since I haven't had a chance to play/experiment with it, and will be getting home from a business trip about an hour before I need to leave for the venue, I apologize for asking a question that has probably been answered a million times.  I am typing this post on my blackberry from the road, which is pretty cool, but searching the archives for an answer wouldn't work on this thing.

Anyway, what is the best way to run the microtrack with a pair of AT853s?  I have a little SP preamp, but have also not played with that yet, so probably will not use it.  My main questions are what settings assuming I use the 1/4 " TSR inputs?

L/M/H?
Db boost?
Okay to run mics directly in, or should I consider using that pre even though I haven't screwed around with it yet?

I will update the firmware when I get home.

I know I should have found time to experiment with it before now, but life has been hectic.

Thanks for any help advice.  About to get on a plane and will check back in later on.  Assuming all goes well, I'll torrent tonight's recording this weekend.

rigs:

open: mbho 603 > sound devices mp2 > gp adc20 > d8
stealth: sound pros cmc8 > sound pros battery box > d8

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: quick microtrack help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »
Honestly - I'd would highly suggest leaving the MicroTrack sealed and sell it off on ebay...

Pick up a Edirol R-09 or R1 and you will be much happier in the long run. IMHO, the R-09/R1 has a better sounding mic pre, better A/D conversion, runs on just two AA batteries for four+ hours and can handle recording from a line-level source, unlike the Microtrack.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »

Honestly - I'd would highly suggest leaving the MicroTrack sealed and sell it off on ebay...

motion seconded.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
would you even have time to charge it up before you need to go to the show?

if not, i would leave it sealed and sell it.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »
no he wouldn't. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »
Assuming you do have time to charge it, which will take more than an hour, I would use the pre into the 1/4trs jacks L/M/H on L no boost. The MT loves the 853's and with the newest firmware it runs just fine. If the battery is dead though, it may need to be plugged in for 1/2 hour before you see any signs of life.

I use the MT all the time, and I know a few others that do too. None of us have had any problems other than getting used to the deck. I find it pretty easy to use and the recordings have been great.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jkeats

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:26:28 PM »
Well - hadn't checked back here and called my wife and had her open it and charge it this morning, so that isn't an issue.  Too bad I guess.  So no that I am at least keeping it to tape tonight, anyone have any advice on the settings?
rigs:

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »
Assuming you do have time to charge it, which will take more than an hour, I would use the pre into the 1/4trs jacks L/M/H on L no boost. The MT loves the 853's and with the newest firmware it runs just fine. If the battery is dead though, it may need to be plugged in for 1/2 hour before you see any signs of life.

I use the MT all the time, and I know a few others that do too. None of us have had any problems other than getting used to the deck. I find it pretty easy to use and the recordings have been great.
Follow the above you will be fine. Set the input for TRS, and you will find all the menus very easy for other settings. Make sure to update to the newest firmware. There are plenty of happy MT users, but there is no need to post when everything is working fine. You may want to put the hold button on when recording. It is easy to grab the unit and hit a button by mistake. Also if you don't keep the backlight on all the time (which I usually do), it is a good way to light it without changing anything. If I record and do not have the hold button on, and want to light up the backlight, (again if not set to be on always) another way is to press the output level button.

Offline jkeats

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 11:29:53 AM »
hey thanks guys.  i screwed it up last night having not played around with the microtrack, but it was my fault.  left the +27 dB boost on accidentally and it totally distorted.  rookie mistake for sure.  the only thing that annoyed me is that the monitor showed the levels as fine while recording, then played back and they were totally jacked (presumably from the 27 dB boost).  So, am I correct in assuming the levels shown while recording are what is coming in, and the 27 dBs are boosted "on top of" the levels shown?  too bad too, because it sounds like it would have been a great pull otherwise.  the band was wolfmother, by the way.

just reading through the manual - i think i was wrong in my interpretation of the db boost.  so anyone who has used this thing...why would my levels appear fine when recording, but in actuality be totally overloading?  Pretty strange...thought I was pulling a great tape only to get home and have it totally distorted.  user error or mictrotrack bug?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:58:40 PM by jkeats »
rigs:

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
hey thanks guys.  i screwed it up last night having not played around with the microtrack, but it was my fault.  left the +27 dB boost on accidentally and it totally distorted.  rookie mistake for sure.  the only thing that annoyed me is that the monitor showed the levels as fine while recording, then played back and they were totally jacked (presumably from the 27 dB boost).  So, am I correct in assuming the levels shown while recording are what is coming in, and the 27 dBs are boosted "on top of" the levels shown?  too bad too, because it sounds like it would have been a great pull otherwise.  the band was wolfmother, by the way.

just reading through the manual - i think i was wrong in my interpretation of the db boost.  so anyone who has used this thing...why would my levels appear fine when recording, but in actuality be totally overloading?  Pretty strange...thought I was pulling a great tape only to get home and have it totally distorted.  user error or mictrotrack bug?

Sorry that you did not succeed. The MT will show the actual recording levels. Is it possible you were reading them wrong? When the MT clips, you will see red LEDs light up around the recording controls. Did you experience that at all? It should have been happening. The meters show a bunch of different things at the same time. There was a link that showed the meters broken down in depth, but I have forgotten it.

Offline jkeats

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 07:09:06 PM »
i don't know...i'm confused now...but yeah, the red lights were going on and off.  was clearly because the dB boost was on, but can't figure out why the meters looked fine (never went higher than about 3/4 of the way to the right).  i'll have to try to find that page you mentioned.  i'll play with it again tomorrow and see what happens.  seing a friend's band and taping with my open rig so the ATs and MT will just be secondary to test.  just pissed because i haven't seen many wolfmother tapes out there and the show was really good.  in fairness, i probably just should have used the D8 until I had time to play around with the MT.  That said, once I figure it out...I'm definitely not with the naysayers...seems like it will work quite well and it is very nicely stealthable.  hell security more or less grabbed it on the entry patdown and didn't say shit (was tucked into the small of my back).

rigs:

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »
i don't know...i'm confused now...but yeah, the red lights were going on and off.  was clearly because the dB boost was on, but can't figure out why the meters looked fine (never went higher than about 3/4 of the way to the right).

Thre are a couple of things going on with the meters.  The solid line is the average (RMS?) levels.  The floating peak indicator is the fast response peak indicator.  I've been able to maintain extrordinarily good levels by only watching the fast update peak indicator and getting that to stay as close to the top as possible without going over.  The post Cliff is referring to is a review at Sonic Studios that explains the metering as well as any I've seen.  At least it helped me make sense of them. 

Good luck with your MT.  Despite all its perceived and real warts it is still an amazing value for what it does.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »

Thre are a couple of things going on with the meters.  The solid line is the average (RMS?) levels.  The floating peak indicator is the fast response peak indicator.  I've been able to maintain extrordinarily good levels by only watching the fast update peak indicator and getting that to stay as close to the top as possible without going over.  The post Cliff is referring to is a review at Sonic Studios that explains the metering as well as any I've seen.  At least it helped me make sense of them. 

Good luck with your MT.  Despite all its perceived and real warts it is still an amazing value for what it does.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

I am grateful that one of us has some memory left. ::)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 10:09:39 PM »
Although I never really had any problem with my MT that was not user induced I ended up leaving Team MicroTrack to help fund an R-4 since I don't stealth much anymore.  I may come back some day but am slumming it with a iRiver for stealth for the time being.  Don't be daunted by all the posts to sell yours.  Mine proved very stable and I got some great recordings with it.  I'd still have it if mmMatt did not have such a good deal on his r-4 and I did not want to play with 4chan recording.

Anyway... Yep... the sonic studios review is good.   When I had my MT I hardly used the LCD levels and relied on the the red LED which seemed very accurate.  If you want to add some DB levels here is a link from the sonic studios review.  It's actually the middle of the previous link but things can sometimes be hard to find on the site.  You can print out your own label or they will send you one for free.  Give Guy Sonic a T+ if you see him.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm#tip2
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline jkeats

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:46:05 AM »
thanks guys.  very helpful stuff.  i'm going to play around with it tonight while seeing a friend's band.  i'm definitely keeping the thing.  i don't tape enough anymore to justify selling it, finding something else to buy that will be more expensive, etc.  It's been over three years since I taped a show and I have maybe three things to tape the rest of this year.  Honestly, the small and light nature of the MT kind of has me back into it.  I still wish I didn't screw up the Wolfmother pull the other night though!!
rigs:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com