Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: installing firmware on the edirol r-09!  (Read 8573 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
installing firmware on the edirol r-09!
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
Hi!

I am a new edirol r-09 owner and i am wondering how to install the firwares to it! I found a link to Rolands / edirols page and downloaded the updated firmware 1.30, but the folder only contains a .upd file, no info file how i update it to the edirol and the owners manual says nothing about firmwares either... So how do i do it? What do i do with the .upd file?  And how should i proceed when having a new 4 gb SDHc card i want to install?

Thanks!

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: installing firmware on the edirol r-09!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:22:58 PM »
Connect the R-09 to your computer via the USB cable.  Copy the .upd file to the SD card (the 64 MB SD card that came with the R-09 is fine).  Disconnect R-09.  Power off, power on.  Updated firmware will install.  I think there was a readme file on the download page.

As for the 4GB card, after the firmware update, power off the R-09, change the SD card and power back on the R-09.  I would then format the SD card.  It is one of the menu items.  Hope that helps.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »
Don't you have to press the record button as you're turning the unit on? I seem to remember having trouble updating my firmware because I missed a step. I could never get the 4gb card to format until I upgraded to 1.20. After that it's worked perfectly.

Here's some instructions from my last upgrade:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update cautions (important)

Do not use this system program in products other than the R-09. Using the improper system program may damage the data or system.

Note: Use the supplied AC adapter for the update. Do not use batteries for the power supply during the update.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update procedure

The update procedure is described below.

Note: Do not turn off power to the R-09 unit until the update is completed.
 Note: Settings such as the display contrast and recording format are initialized during the update. We recommend copying down important settings before beginning.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Insert the SD memory card in the R-09.

Turn power on to the R-09 unit.

Connect the R-09 to the computer with the USB cable.
-> The R-09 is detected by the computer.

Copy the DMZ15.UPD file (already extracted) to the R-09 root directory.

Disconnect the R-09 from the computer in the following manner.

[Safely disconnecting the R-09]

When using Windows
Disconnect the connection with the R-09 using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon located in the taskbar in the lower right part of the screen. Disconnect the USB cable connecting the R-09 and the computer.

When using Macintosh
After dragging the R-09 compact flash icon to the trash can, disconnect the cable connecting the R-09 to the computer.

Turn power off to the R-09.

Turn power on while pressing the [REC] button.

When the R-09 detects the update, the following screen is shown.

In the place where "PROG: 1.03" is shown, the current version of R-09 being used is displayed.

Note: The numbers to the right of "BOOT:" or "UPDT:" do not need to be checked.

Note: "-- no card--" or "--no update file--" may be temporarily displayed until the screen described above appears. This is not a malfunction.

If "PROG: 1.10" is already displayed, there is no need to update. Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

If the SD memory card cannot be detected, "-- no card--" is displayed; if the update cannot be found on the SD memory card, "--no update file--" is displayed. If this occurs, turn off power, return to the previous procedure, and check the SD memory card and update data.

Press the [REC Button].
 -> The following is displayed and the update process continues automatically.

The update takes about 30 seconds.

[Caution]
While the above is displayed, do not turn off power to the R-09 or remove the SD memory card.

When the update completes, the following is shown.

Press the [POWER] button to turn off power.

This completes the update process. The new system program will run from the next startup.

Review how to check the version, and then verify that the version was updated.

After verifying the version has been updated, either reconnect the R-09 to a computer and delete DMZ15.UPD from the R-09 root directory or format the SD memory card on the R-09.

------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (C) 2006 Roland Corporation. All rights reserved.
The contents of the file may not be modified, duplicated, distributed, or transmitted without the permission of Roland Corporation.

Hope this helps!  rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 07:26:52 AM »
Don't you have to press the record button as you're turning the unit on? I seem to remember having trouble updating my firmware because I missed a step.

Doh!!  Right.  I forgot a step. Thanks for catching that, russ.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:38:35 AM »
Thanks, I sat around frustrated for a while trying to get the darn thing to work and format the card. Had I actually read ALL the instructions, I would have been up and running much quicker! ::) :P Glad to actually help!  rWc3523 8)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com