Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Can you tell the difference, and is the difference worth the cost of the software?

I can tell the difference between Free and PRO (LinPhase).
0 (0%)
I can tell the difference between PRO (LinPhase) and PRO (MinPhase).
0 (0%)
I can tell the difference between Free and PRO (MinPhase).
0 (0%)
I can tell the difference, but don't think that it is enough to justify the cost of the software.
2 (40%)
I can not hear any difference between the free version and the PRO version.
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: r8brain (free version) vs. r8brain PRO  (Read 4789 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
r8brain (free version) vs. r8brain PRO
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
on the r8brain forum, there is some discussion about the differences between the free version of r8brain, and the PRO version.  I've been thinking about getting the PRO version for a little while, so I decided to download the demo version of r8brain PRO.  The demo version provides full functionality, but only converts the first minute of each file.  I then went back to a recent show I recorded, and converted the same file with the free version, and the PRO version (with each of ther various settings).

based on the discussion of the on the r8brain forums, the "MinPhase" option supposedly sounds better than the "LinPhase" option.  and the "Ultra-Steep" option maintains more of the original bandwidth (but takes longer to process).  The PRO Light version is $60, but doesn't allow you to use the "MinPhase" setting.  The PRO Full version is $130, and (of course) allows all the settings to be used.  Also, based on my limited use of the demo PRO version, the user interface is nicer on the PRO version relative to the free version.  but that on its own probably isn't worth the money.  So, check out the samples, vote in the poll, discuss, let us know how you listened to the samples (headphones, speakers, other gear used, etc, etc...)

in this case, the original file is 24/192.  I recorded the 2nd set at 192kHz because, well, really just because I could and I hadn't ever done that before.  I typically record at 24/96, and will likely continue to do so in the future.  I have some thoughts, but I need to do some more critical listening of the resampled files.  also I thought it'd be good to get the discussion going before I posted my initial thoughts.

http://www.turtleside.com/misc/r8brain-sampler/

;D

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: r8brain (free version) vs. r8brain PRO
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
The only place I could tell a difference between Free and Pro was in the upper highs, 16-20k range.  The snare just sparkled a bit more in the Pro version.  I couldn't, however, tell the difference between the LinPhase and MinPhase.

And as expected, the dithered versions had a bit less low-end than the original 24/192.

SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum (kX Audio Drivers) > 5 1/4" Bay unit > Sennheiser HD570 > foobar 0.8.3 (Kernel Streaming)

Thanks for taking the time to post samples!

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
John - thanks for sharing you thoughts.

after listening to these samples several times over the course of a couple of days, I've decided to stick with the free version for the time being... I don't think I can hear any difference between the resampled version.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
Nice recording, BTW.

I can't hear any difference between the free and the pro with lin-phase and ultra-steep.

I loaded up the two files in har-bal (www.har-bal.com) to look at the frequency traces, just to see what the differences might be. Actually I didn't expect to see any differerences on the graph. But there is some additional filtering starting at 18.5kHz in the pro file.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
thanks for your thoughts, Gordon.  also, thanks for checking it out with har-bal.  I haven't done any sort of computer analysis with these files, so its definitely interesting to hear what you've done.

I can't hear any difference between the free and the pro with lin-phase and ultra-steep.

Are you implying that you could hear a difference between the free version and the pro with min-phase (either with or without the ultra-steep),  or even that you could hear a difference between the two settings on the pro version (lin-phase vs. min-phase)?

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »
I wasn't implying anything else.

I compared the min-phase file tonight to the free version file and I can tell no difference.

There is additional filtering in both files I checked rendered with pro version. This I could tell on a frequency trace only.

Gordon

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted to the board yet, but it is a comparison chart of various sample rate converters.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Hey, if you haven't listened to Jason's samples. Give them a listen and vote.

Gordon
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:47:18 PM by live2496 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com