Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A Couple of UA-5 Questions.  (Read 3079 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
A Couple of UA-5 Questions.
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
Just a quick one first up.

What is the going rate for a used (Unmodded) UA-5? (on ebay etc)

From what I have seen around it seems to be in the $140 - $180 range, so that is £70 - £90 in real money.

Secondly, what is the digimod (I Think)?

I am guessing it makes a decent difference, as the ones in the YS seem to be going for a lot more. Of course knowing the vendor and the unit's history makes it worth paying more than for an unknown quality unit, but how much of a difference does it make?

Thanks

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: A Couple of UA-5 Questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
Not sure of price of a stock UA5, can't help you there.

But if you want to use the UA5 as a stand-alone device, you'll need the Digi-Mod.  Otherwise, it must be plugged into the USB of your PC in order to function.  The Digi-Mod allows the UA5 to be used without the USB connection.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
The price range you're listing is about right.  You might occasionally find one cheaper than that though.

The digimod just allows you to use the UA-5 as a stand alone device, outputting a signal to the coax and toslink ports.  This is one of the mods that makes it popular as a field unit.

If you're going to use it connected to a laptop though, the digimod isn't really worthwhile.

There are also additional mods from the Oade Brothers and Busman Audio (a member here on this board) that improve the overall sonic performance of the unit.  These mods are not cheap, and drive the price on those units up - often in the $350-500 range depending on the mod.

Oade offers "P Mod" (presence), "T Mod" (transparent) and "W Mod" (warm) upgrades.

Busman's is known as a BM2P mod.  It's similar to the Oade mod and most often found on units that were not purchased from Oade (thus not eligible for the Oade mods).
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies guys.

As I am in the UK, trying to get mods done, might prove something of a problem, even more so than finding one for sale.

Thanks again.

Dave.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:38:41 PM »
From what I have seen around it seems to be in the $140 - $180 range, so that is £70 - £90 in real money.

I just caught this.  +t
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Wiggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »

As I am in the UK, trying to get mods done, might prove something of a problem, even more so than finding one for sale.

A BM2P+ modded UA-5 is worth every bit of hassle and money, in my opinion. After owning a sketchy (read: newbie) DAT setup and then moving to bulky laptop recording for a while, I've been quite pleased with my results now that I'm down to mics > UA5 > iRiver. I don't regret a cent/thing.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:56:16 PM »

A BM2P+ modded UA-5 is worth every bit of hassle and money, in my opinion. After owning a sketchy (read: newbie) DAT setup and then moving to bulky laptop recording for a while, I've been quite pleased with my results now that I'm down to mics > UA5 > iRiver. I don't regret a cent/thing.

I see from the amount of people that use this unit that it is obviously a quality piece of kit. I just don't know if I can justify the expense for the rare occasions that I am going to be able to run an open rig. Just looking into things right now, but thanks for the input.

I will try and remember to drop a +T when I get that far  :-[

Dave.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com