Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee Mini Me  (Read 18357 times)

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Apogee Mini Me
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
How does it rank among pre-amps and A/D convertors??

Right now I have a UA-5 busman mod and was wondering is it worthwhile to snag one for a good price?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 05:08:48 PM by pmonk66 »

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Apogee Mini Me
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:17:41 PM »
How does it rank among pre-amps and A/D convertors??

Right now I have a UA-5 busman mod and was wondering is it worthwhile to sang one for a good price?

That question is suspect to opinion, as everyone here as there favorite.  However, I will give you my 2 cents since I have owned several modded ua-5's, own a minime, owned other pre/ad's, and played extensively with Grace boxes.

The converters in the minime are top notch.  As for the pre, I really dig it.  Some do, some don't.  It is definitly all apogee.  Full bodied with it's own distinct character.  One thing I've noticed, apogee owners tend to stick with apogee products.  Same can be said for Grace owners.  Just depends on YOUR EARS.  For me, I don't like Grace boxes, hence why I own the minime for my 2 channel needs.  That's my ears.  Others like Grace, and not Apogee, that's what their ears tell them. 

My advice, if you can, borrow one and run it for a bit and see if you like it.  Or match your mics to the minime in a archive search and listen and see what your ears tell you.

As for a change from your modded ua-5, this would most definitly be a step up in quality, both build and sonic characteristics.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
The only thing wrong with the Apogee is it seems fragile and has an awkward layout that requires some creativity when getting it into a bag.  Also it is painful to adjust levels on when going line in. All that said, I really like the way it sounded with my AKGs.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
Yeah, I had a Mini-Me for a while and I really liked it. I've also run the W-mod UA-5 and I'm currently using a Grace V3. Of the three boxes, I found the Mini-Me to have the most *character*. They have come down in price lately and I have even thought about picking up another one. The comment about running line-in is fitting. You have to use a tiny screwdriver to get the levels right. But, other than that, it's a good sounding pre-amp.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »
I really can't say enough good things about my Mini-Me.  I believe you've heard my Roger Waters recording from 2006 ( http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=111900 ), PMonk.  I'm always giving kudos to the Neummies for that pull, but the apogee was a major part of the equation.  Its an incredibly easy a/d pre to use, and the results are rich and warm. 
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the input - I'm such a fucking slut!

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
Slut it up.  I love my minime
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline gusbud1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
I love my mini-me too.  I think it is the optimal ad converter, of course I think some mics sound better with a V3, so it does depend on what mics you use and what your ears like.
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »
Just picked it up and it came with a Oade battery. The MM is fucking long and the battery weighs a fucking ton but for the price ;D

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:00:49 PM »
Congrats!  You'll love it. ;D

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:25:06 PM »
Congrats!  You'll love it. ;D

Can't wait to use it!

Offline gusbud1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
Just picked it up and it came with a Oade battery. The MM is fucking long and the battery weighs a fucking ton but for the price ;D

Yeah that is the one drawback of the mme is its shape, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. As for the battery, I am guessing there are probably battery options that weigh less than what you have.
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:02:30 PM »
yup, I run mine on one of those 9v Lion wallyworld batts.  Super slim, lightweight, and I get PLENTY of time on one. 

Think I've finally found a solution for the long ass mini me odd size.  Thanks to a tip by brianp, I'm using the accessory pouch on my sonicase.  Been through numerous bags trying to find one I like with this sucker.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »
I've been using the actual Apogee case.  It has a nice little pocket for the Microtrack, and also the strap works well.  I got a nice deal on the case from Sonic Sense.

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »

Yeah that is the one drawback of the mme is its shape, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. As for the battery, I am guessing there are probably battery options that weigh less than what you have.

I guess the   Initial RB-270 Universal Rechargeable (9v - 5400mAh) I use for the UA-5 will work (of course with the correct polarity)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com