Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee Mini Me  (Read 18325 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Apogee Mini Me
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »
after 1st listen, im pleased with the soft limit.  i was taping dino jr. the past 2 nights & their volume is a bit over the top at times.  ran the -10db pads on the 210's (for only the 2nd time ever IIRC).  did NOT use the compressor or any of its settings....im afraid how that would sound   :-X

I would try to run less gain at the pre-amp so you don't have to use the pads, I could always hear a difference in my AKG's when I used the pads.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55:03 AM »
I have used low gain on the MiniMe since the day I bought it.  I only tape amplified shows and have never seen the need to use the high gain option.  I also have never had to use the pad on the mics for any reason with the unit set at low gain.

I am not a big fan of the soft limit.  If you go over, you will get compression with the SL or compression and possible clipping with SL off so you are not really good either way.  I just set my levels somewhat conservatively and have never had any problems.  When they start flashing yellow at the peaks, I leave it set.  I have never used the compressor / curve feature on the MiniMe and have never seen any reason to use it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
after 1st listen, im pleased with the soft limit.  i was taping dino jr. the past 2 nights & their volume is a bit over the top at times.  ran the -10db pads on the 210's (for only the 2nd time ever IIRC).  did NOT use the compressor or any of its settings....im afraid how that would sound   :-X

I would try to run less gain at the pre-amp so you don't have to use the pads, I could always hear a difference in my AKG's when I used the pads.

I hate to have to use a pad but it seems that for a lot of mics the pad must be engaged to utilize the max SPL capability. It isn't just about reducing the output.  It won't matter what you do at the pre if the mic has already distorted... so sometimes it is a necesary evil.  I wish I'd had a pair of 4011's to run...

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
just so we don't get confused.  Pulled out the manual to make sure on this.  The soft limiter is not a compressor.  It is a limiter only in the first setting.  The only time the soft limiter is engaged to the "push it" control of the compressor is on the second setting, not the first soft limit.  The soft limiter starts rounding the signal off at -4db gradually rounding it off up to 0db to keep from clipping the a/d chip caused by high level transients.

A normal limiter will give you a signal blocked off at the top where as the soft limiter gives a more "unnoticeable" rounding of the signal.

I agree with you, however, that ideally in ambient situations, many may not want this feature engaged.    :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 01:20:19 PM »
I know a few MME owners (who pull outstanding 150>MME tapes) who swear by the all the curves and limiters and other apogee garbage on that thing.
whatever..., but their recordings do smoke.  I guess its one of those things where if you figure out what you like and exactly how to use it in a loud setting then you can dial it in nice.

the last time I tried it was at an ABB show.  lights looked good...but I was clipping the shit out of it and the limiter/push-it stuff was working hard...the results were a very saturated and not so enjoyable recording.  at times...it was brilliant...but mostly (during all the best parts that were loud/rockin' out), its crap.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
just so we don't get confused.  Pulled out the manual to make sure on this.  The soft limiter is not a compressor.  It is a limiter only in the first setting.  The only time the soft limiter is engaged to the "push it" control of the compressor is on the second setting, not the first soft limit.  The soft limiter starts rounding the signal off at -4db gradually rounding it off up to 0db to keep from clipping the a/d chip caused by high level transients.

A normal limiter will give you a signal blocked off at the top where as the soft limiter gives a more "unnoticeable" rounding of the signal.

I agree with you, however, that ideally in ambient situations, many may not want this feature engaged.    :)

True, the SL is not a compressor, but it does affect the signal when the unit is about to clip.  The "Push It" is a compressor, but either way you look at it, the signal becomes compressed when you are about to clip.  It is just what kind of flavor of signal manipulation you want.

In my experience, there is no substitute for setting conservative levels.  The need for compression, soft limit, or anything like that is obviated in favor of a clean, undistorted signal.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

marc0789

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
the only decent application for the SL is  acoustic bluegrass, imo....really makes it hard to clip when during the applause...and that's it. no other reason to run that thing, other than laziness. I ran it once for an LoS show when I had just picked the thing up, and I was nervous about being able to adjust the pots on the fly, without SL. Highs were nice at times, but when bouncing reds, very brittle. Never ran it again. For non-acoustic music, just don't think it's necessary....the mme is extraordinarily hard to clip, as long as you don't hit any solid reds.

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:12 AM »
First time running the MME last night - very good box. Did mange to clip a few points during the recording (cymbal crash) but overall a nice sounding recording.

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »
I ran from FOB at 40 feet at the loudest concert anyone has ever attended, Dinosaur Jr.  The Neumann KM 150's with the -15dB activated.   I used no limiter on the M-Me, and the results are pretty damned nice.

I have the recording up on my site at http://www.nyctaper.com if you want to check it out.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2007, 09:45:12 AM »
the only decent application for the SL is  acoustic bluegrass, imo....really makes it hard to clip when during the applause...and that's it. no other reason to run that thing, other than laziness. I ran it once for an LoS show when I had just picked the thing up, and I was nervous about being able to adjust the pots on the fly, without SL. Highs were nice at times, but when bouncing reds, very brittle. Never ran it again. For non-acoustic music, just don't think it's necessary....the mme is extraordinarily hard to clip, as long as you don't hit any solid reds.

QFT... music peaks around -5db... then the applause and the loud screamers are the only time the SL is engaged.  Additionally, I did use the soft limit for a Trey show during the acoustic portion (which even when amplified was still quieter than the screaming drunks) and the results are quite nice.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 01:48:50 PM »
First time running the MME last night - very good box. Did mange to clip a few points during the recording (cymbal crash) but overall a nice sounding recording.

^^^
A perfect example of a time when a limiter could come in handy.  I like to run levels on the conservative side, but sometimes unexpected things happen and the SL can save the day.  Obviously if you feed it a solid level that's too high, it's not going to prevent clipping, but that's not really what it was designed to do.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:11:04 PM by Jmos »

Offline pmonk66

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »
I was actually surprised of the gain the Mini Me has. The first song I had the levels half way and was flashing crazy red (some clipping occurred but not very noticeable on the recording) and adjusted the levels accordingly.

This is a very nice box!

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »
This is a very nice box!

I agree as I am being sold alittle more each time I use it  :coolguy:
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
Can someone tell me the range of gain applied for the low & high settings ? I can't seem to find it anywhere ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »
I loved my V2--->mini-me recordings back when I ran that pair. Great sounding unit, creates an outstanding soundstage and killer image I just got sick of the size and the huge bats...switched to the V3 and haven't looked back.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com