Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 or V3?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
V2 or V3?
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
I have an opportunity to geta V2 for fairly cheap.  But I've been thinking of getting a V3.

I am looking for pros and cons of each.  I know I know, trust your ears, but I'd like to know what others think.
I am not taping at 24 bit right now, and I currently own and use an AD1K and I do have an MT also.

So if you had a chance for a V2 or V3 right now, which would it be?

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
Re: V2 or V3?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
differing from my esteemed colleague, if you've already got an ad1k, go for the v2.  great combo.

edit:  i have owned both, and currently use v3, best piece of gear evah
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 09:37:37 AM by John R »
we all live downstream.

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:32:07 AM »
I love my v3 and will take this time to fluff it  ;D
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:52:44 AM »
differing from my esteemed colleague, if you've already got an ad1k, go for the v2.  great combo.

edit:  i have owned both, and currently use v3, best piece of gear evah

ymmv. I like v2>1k more than v3 run 16bit. but for sure more gear to lug. for a bit more scratch, it is nice to have the option of either running v3 analog out>1k or straight v3 to lessen the hassle factor.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 10:12:31 AM »
If you get the V3, tell me where I can get the cheap V2  ;D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:16:09 AM »
you say that you're not currently recording at 24 bit, but you also say you have a MicroTrack.

Why not get a V3, run analog out to the ad1000, and run 24 bit digital out from the V3 to the MicroTrack.

then you'll have 2 recordings, and you can see which you like better, the ad1k at 16 bit or the V3 at 24 bit.  run both for a few shows, see what you like best, and then keep what you like.

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
you say that you're not currently recording at 24 bit, but you also say you have a MicroTrack.

Why not get a V3, run analog out to the ad1000, and run 24 bit digital out from the V3 to the MicroTrack.

then you'll have 2 recordings, and you can see which you like better, the ad1k at 16 bit or the V3 at 24 bit.  run both for a few shows, see what you like best, and then keep what you like.

That is an excellent point.  I had been thinking of splitting the line out of the V2 > AD1K
                                                                                                                > MT 24/48

Thanks for the help fellas.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 10:39:35 AM »
run both, both are great, but i recommend the V3, all in one box, idiot proof to use and sounds great
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:54:08 AM »
If you have the cash to do the v3 it is a no brainer... if not grab the v2 till you have the juice for the v3.  v2's are a hot comodity and you can resell easily and especially if you are getting a deal on it.  $600 seems to be a good deal these days and if you can do better you are doing very well.  The only thing other than adc that is differnt (as far as I know) and an improvement in the v3, is metering... the 2 light metering on the v2 sucks.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 11:19:52 AM »
The only thing other than adc that is differnt (as far as I know) and an improvement in the v3, is metering... the 2 light metering on the v2 sucks.

just, FYI, there are a few other minor differences

(1) no RCA output on the V3, only balanced XLR output and digi-out.  The V2 had balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA.

(2) I think there was a small change to one chip in the pre-section.  This was made due to availability of parts.  I don't remember the exact details, but I do know that it was quite minor, and that the pre-section in the V2 and the V3 are essentially the same, but not absolutely identical.

(3) the gain structure is slightly different.  the V2 trim knobs take away gain.  i.e. you set the big knob to +10dB and you then have a continuous range of 0-10dB using the trim knobs.  with the V3, the trim knobs add gain, so when you set the big knobs to +10dB, you then have a continuous range of 10-20dB.  therefore, the V3 has a minimum gain of +10dB.

these are all minor differences, but I felt like they should be noted.  and I agree with Matt, the meters on the V3 are awesome (and, IMO, are only bested by the meters on the ad2k+)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 11:46:23 AM »
+T jason!  With never having owned a v3 I was not aware of thoes things.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 12:54:41 PM »
When is the V4 coming out?  ;)

there's a thread on that... do the search  :P

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com