Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good dual mic bar(?) for Stereo pair  (Read 3417 times)

Offline animuselanvital

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Good dual mic bar(?) for Stereo pair
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
Hey everyone,
I just bought my first stereo pair mics recently.  Actually they haven't even arrived yet!  I need to buy a stereo/dual mic bar so that I can use them for stereo recording.  My question is:  Are there any suggestions as to which one would be best to purchase?  I am looking for a good one that is flexible enough to support many stereo configurations, possibly even allow for some experimentation.  Any suggestions will be helpful.  I have googled many times trying to find some options but all of what I saw contained zero user reviews and most of what I saw just looked either hard to work with (ie Onstage MY700) or bad quality.  The one that looked most flexible and easy to use was the K&M mic bar (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/KM-Microphone-Bar-Dual-Mic-Holder?sku=450488&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=73933361)

Are these the only options out there?  What is decent yet flexible?  I really have no idea!  ???

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Good dual mic bar(?) for Stereo pair
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
I actually have/use that K&M bar and it works perfectly for my needs (the model number is either the 23550 or 450488 depending on where you get it).  Simple to use and the length/spacing is just right for me.  As an added bonus, when I bought mine at B&H Photo, it came with a riser/adapter (not shown in the picture or mentioned in the description) that normally costs a couple of bucks if you buy it separately; ideal if you happen to run X-Y coincident.  Or you can just unscrew one of the 5/8" screws and put it in the bar the other way (upside-down?) to run coincident.

The first bar I bought was the AKG/K&M KM235/1 which has two arms that swivel.  I believe Moke mentioned that one before he had his posts deleted.  Built just as well as the 23550 and really solid, but I personally found myself futzing around a lot with those arms to get my mic placement how I needed it.  In comparison, the 23550 is much simpler for me to set up and deal with.  Another issue I had was that the nuts holding the arms on the KM235/1 would gradually loosen a bit and my setup would sometimes move after I had gotten it "just right".  But, as they say, YMMV.

Another bar that seems to have a lot of fans on this board is the Vark bar.  I've personally never used one but quite a few people swear by them.  That's about as far as my mic bar knowledge goes, I can't even begin to get into the custom stuff.  Good luck!

K&M 23550: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534727-REG/K_M_23550_500_55_23550_Adjustable_Microphone_Bar.html

AKG KM235/1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/286149-REG/AKG_KM235_1_KM235_1_Stereo_Microphone_Bar.html

Vark bar: http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_4.html

Offline animuselanvital

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:33 AM »
Hey thanks for all the info,  I ended up purchasing the K&M mic bar and so far it seems like a good choice.  Now I just need to dig up my old protractor from school!  Thanks again.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:04:14 AM »
After using the K+M bars for years - I now use the new Grace SpaceBar - a *lot* more expensive than the K+M, but superbly engineered and with distance and angles marked in both planes for very fast, easy and repeatable set-up.

This is the short one - there is also a long one.  I have both and can use 4 mounts on the long one for ORTF with omnni outriggers.

Offline animuselanvital

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »
After using the K+M bars for years - I now use the new Grace SpaceBar - a *lot* more expensive than the K+M, but superbly engineered and with distance and angles marked in both planes for very fast, easy and repeatable set-up.

This is the short one - there is also a long one.  I have both and can use 4 mounts on the long one for ORTF with omnni outriggers.

Holy cow!  That is quite an amazing contraption.  Completely gets rid of the need of a protractor!  Will likely get one someday. . . but today is not that day unfortunately :(  May try to imitate it with my own markings via some sort of white pen and an excellent ruler. . .

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
Holy cow!  That is quite an amazing contraption.  Completely gets rid of the need of a protractor!  [...]  May try to imitate it with my own markings via some sort of white pen and an excellent ruler. . .
QFT!

$300 though??  Wowzers, they sure are making you pay for every centimeter of coolness!  I want to see someone here fab. up a bunch and sell them for a reasonable, friendly price
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
I use a tape measure and protractor for distance and angles.  That Grace bar is absolute overkill IMHO. YMMV.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
That Grace bar is absolute overkill IMHO.

But it's lovely.  ;D

Actually, it's a similar price to the quality bars from people like DPA and Gefell, so it's not really OTT - only when you compare it to the K&M at 1/20th of the price.  ;D

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
I own the AKG, the Shure A27M and I got something that looks like the KM that was included in my set of Busman mics.

I probably use the AKG the most out of all of them because it's compact and still versatile.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com