Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Giant Squid or Sound Pro?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
Giant Squid or Sound Pro?
« on: April 24, 2004, 05:19:45 PM »
Ok, I am in a bit of a different situation than most,  I am recording primarily in churches so 110spl  is not happening  :P  Please keep that in mind for this.

Looking at the SoundPro preamp it appears to answer my need I think as it has adjustable gain from 0 to 50db  (some vocals are not even amped)  

The Giant Squids sound decent (the samples on their page) but they seem to be solely aimed at the Taper of Loud Music group.  (also the it appears that the mic with box, is simply a battery box, with or without bass rolloff.  (no preamp)  

I have a cheapie preamp that is made using canakits (which I think is the same as the visivox box on ebay)  but the noise floor is a bit higher than I care for.  

a) should I go with sp-preamp?

b) am I going to notice a big difference between the cheapie (20db) and the soundpro?

c) how is the noisefloor on the soundpro at full gain?

d) is this gonna make me broke by the time I am done ?   ::) :P
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Giant Squid or Sound Pro?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 05:44:08 PM »
i can only answer one question. yes you will spend money and be kinda broke for a while.  I was a few months ago getting the full rig going, but i'm happy with it now, i'll look into something new maybe after this summer.  Upgrading is like a disease.  I also would like to know the difference in the SP and giant Squid mics.  but as far as the preamp goes, i think the SP one would be better.   Good luck.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »
Well with their return policy I took the plunge and ordered the SP... I already have a set of mics that sound ok, (I know relative  ::)) so, the SP in general seems to make more sense... Plus it goes no gain, so if I am in a really loud situation, I think it will still work...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »
which SP mics did you get?

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 09:46:56 PM »
Actually I have a set from Visivox.   I liked the idea that he set em up with Neutrik connectors and break down fairly easy.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com