Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with salvaging a recording  (Read 5262 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Help with salvaging a recording
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:58:58 PM »
Luckily i got to see the band play again the next week, but to make a long story short, i went to go see a band, and my recording was way to hot. In speakers you cannot really notice it as much, but with headphones you really can tell.

Basically my question is does anyone have any tips for salvaging a recording that sounds blown out and too hot? If anyone has tricks they know, i can post a sample from that show a few weeks ago and someone can try messing with it if they have any spare time, or you could give me some advice on ways to help make it sound a bit more listenable.

thanks,

Josh

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with salvaging a recording
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »
Luckily i got to see the band play again the next week, but to make a long story short, i went to go see a band, and my recording was way to hot. In speakers you cannot really notice it as much, but with headphones you really can tell.

Basically my question is does anyone have any tips for salvaging a recording that sounds blown out and too hot? If anyone has tricks they know, i can post a sample from that show a few weeks ago and someone can try messing with it if they have any spare time, or you could give me some advice on ways to help make it sound a bit more listenable.

thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh if you can maybe post a link to it somewhere, maybe I can help or maybe someone more knowledgeable then I in computer editing can help. Its very hard to know what can be done. A sample will make it easy for some of the experts here to tell, and maybe suggest a few things that might help you out.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
It's easy to raise low levels, but once you've clipped as badly as it sounds like you did, you're pretty well screwed.  My suggestion - listen to it through your speakers and forget the headphones. ;D

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
It's easy to raise low levels, but once you've clipped as badly as it sounds like you did, you're pretty well screwed.  My suggestion - listen to it through your speakers and forget the headphones. ;D

yeah, i figured that, thought i might as well ask, here is a sample sectrion from one of the songs, maybe someone can mess with it and see if they know any miracles.

Basically, i learned my lesson, haha, and i won't make the mistake i did again. I taped about 20-25 shows at sxsw last week and i didn't mess up once, so i think i have got it down. The wav files does not look like it is clipping, because what happened is i turned my preamp up too much, but then turend the output volume down, so the signal looked like it was not clipping on my iriver, when it really was, but with a quiet signal. The samples are only like 10-20 seconds long, i can post a longer clip if you'd like.

3 samples....

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1326CAC929DF3FF2

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2D977A4F79781806

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0E31132E51B7DF5A

If anyone can make it sound any better, tell me what you used, and how you did whatever you did, i would appreciate it. Hey, i know there isnt much to do with a bad recording, but i might as well see if it can be helped, right?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:02:04 PM by atxwolfattack »

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
Well, you didn't clip, so this should be somewhat fixable! :)  I put the first sample in Audacity, and checked the amplify option.  It allowed for an 11.3 dB boost, so it does sound somewhat better after you do that.  It's a little short for me to tell exactly how much better, and I was just listening through the computer speakers anyhow.  Try amplifying a whole track, or the whole file, and see how it sounds to you

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
Well, you didn't clip, so this should be somewhat fixable! :)  I put the first sample in Audacity, and checked the amplify option.  It allowed for an 11.3 dB boost, so it does sound somewhat better after you do that.  It's a little short for me to tell exactly how much better, and I was just listening through the computer speakers anyhow.  Try amplifying a whole track, or the whole file, and see how it sounds to you

hmm, i think it does clip or at least it sounds like it. I know the levels were really low, but that was because the church audio preamp i have has an output volume dial, so i turned the clipping signal down before it got to my recorder. I could be wrong, but i thought thats what happened.

I also tried amplifying it, but it doesn't sound much better, at least in headphones. Thanks for helping though. Any other ideas?

Here is a longer clip as well....

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5D05C2BD260BA234

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:17:45 PM »
I'm pretty inexperienced at editing, hopefully there are others who will give some ideas.  Definitely no clipping on your WAV file, but you must have done something with the preamp to affect the sound negatively.  Maybe Chris will come back and listen to the samples and have some ideas what "his" preamp did. ;D

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I think I can explain it after listening to the samples.. ;)

You ran the signal into the preamp (ST-9000 or 9100 I presume?), and it was too hot. It came out of the pre too hot, but you turned the levels down on the recorder (did I hear iRiver?), causing the levels to look ok. It was still distorting from the pre though, just recording to the device at good levels.

That make sense?
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

dorrcoq

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 12:35:30 AM »

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:41 AM »
I think I can explain it after listening to the samples.. ;)

You ran the signal into the preamp (ST-9000 or 9100 I presume?), and it was too hot. It came out of the pre too hot, but you turned the levels down on the recorder (did I hear iRiver?), causing the levels to look ok. It was still distorting from the pre though, just recording to the device at good levels.

That make sense?

yes, about 99% correct, the STC-9000 has gain switches, i switched it to +30 (stupid mistake), and then it has an output volume nob, so i turned the nob on the preamp down, so it looked on the recorder like it was good levels on the iRiver. So yeah you are pretty much correct. Did you get a chance to mess with the longer clip i posted?

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »

thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh if you can maybe post a link to it somewhere, maybe I can help or maybe someone more knowledgeable then I in computer editing can help. Its very hard to know what can be done. A sample will make it easy for some of the experts here to tell, and maybe suggest a few things that might help you out.

Chris

hey Chris,

did you ever check out the sample i posted? I posted 3 short samples, and then 1 longer one. Just checking to see if you took a couple minutes to mess with it.

thanks.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
yes, about 99% correct, the STC-9000 has gain switches, i switched it to +30 (stupid mistake)....Did you get a chance to mess with the longer clip i posted?

Oh yea, forgot about those gain switches..well, now you know what not to do next time ;D ;)

I'm actually waiting to see if anyone has a remedy for this too, cause I have a recording similar to this I'd like to try to fix lol :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
anyone.....

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
I did a similar thing recently.  Or at least I got a similar result.  I was running AT853 > an SP battery box > R09, and I had the R09 line input at about 8 (on scale of 0-30), which got me a steady -6b recording.  It's not clipped at the recorder, but  I presume I overloaded the capsules internally.  To me it's just a learning experience.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:00:09 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »

thanks,

Josh

Chris

hey Chris,

did you ever check out the sample i posted? I posted 3 short samples, and then 1 longer one. Just checking to see if you took a couple minutes to mess with it.

thanks.

Hey I am really sorry I have not listened to it. I promise to spend some time on monday.

Chris Church

huffy

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
without any comp/lim/levl much less eq before ever digi
the band or sound man is in charge of all this and you have no control at all anyways
so don't fretttt somebody may help you

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »

thanks,

Josh

I listened to it and I could not fix the distortion on your long sample. Its too far gone for anything I know of. I tried eq, compression, my distortion plugin. Nothing helped to the point where I would want to say it was helpful.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
Just to clarify, I don't think it is "clipping" per se.  Clipping is a digitial phenomenon, and unless I am mistaken, the Church preamp does not have an A/D and the signal to the iRiver is still analog.  I think the proper term for this in the analog realm is brickwalling.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  I myself have dozens of recordings in the dust bins of history.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:04 AM »
Just to clarify, I don't think it is "clipping" per se.  Clipping is a digitial phenomenon, and unless I am mistaken, the Church preamp does not have an A/D and the signal to the iRiver is still analog.  I think the proper term for this in the analog realm is brickwalling.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  I myself have dozens of recordings in the dust bins of history.

The term clipping has been around long before digital was even a glint in the eye of the recording world. It refers to a waveform reaching the maximum amount of headroom a device has to offer. This means that part of the Sinusoidal waveform now contains DC voltage instead of 100% AC voltage. If you look at this picture you can see that the waveform is flat at the top this is distortion. When we talk about percentage of distortion we are talking about the width and frequency of this distortion over a given period of time. Brickwalling is another way of describing a lack of headroom or dynamic range a device has to offer. Clipping refers to a analog process that has reached its limit and now produces some DC voltage at its output instead of pure AC voltage.

Chris Church

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:31:59 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »

The term clipping has been around long before digital was even a glint in the eye of the recording world. It refers to a waveform reaching the maximum amount of headroom a device has to offer. This means that part of the Sinusoidal waveform now contains DC voltage instead of 100% AC voltage. If you look at this picture you can see that the waveform is flat at the top this is distortion. When we talk about percentage of distortion we are talking about the width and frequency of this distortion over a given period of time. Brickwalling is another way of describing a lack of headroom or dynamic range a device has to offer. Clipping refers to a analog process that has reached its limit and now produces some DC voltage at its output instead of pure AC voltage.

Chris Church

Whoa, for the first time I understand this stuff! ;D +t
Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com