Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with salvaging a recording  (Read 5313 times)

huffy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help with salvaging a recording
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
without any comp/lim/levl much less eq before ever digi
the band or sound man is in charge of all this and you have no control at all anyways
so don't fretttt somebody may help you

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
Luckily i got to see the band play again the next week, but to make a long story short, i went to go see a band, and my recording was way to hot. In speakers you cannot really notice it as much, but with headphones you really can tell.

Basically my question is does anyone have any tips for salvaging a recording that sounds blown out and too hot? If anyone has tricks they know, i can post a sample from that show a few weeks ago and someone can try messing with it if they have any spare time, or you could give me some advice on ways to help make it sound a bit more listenable.

thanks,

Josh

I listened to it and I could not fix the distortion on your long sample. Its too far gone for anything I know of. I tried eq, compression, my distortion plugin. Nothing helped to the point where I would want to say it was helpful.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
Just to clarify, I don't think it is "clipping" per se.  Clipping is a digitial phenomenon, and unless I am mistaken, the Church preamp does not have an A/D and the signal to the iRiver is still analog.  I think the proper term for this in the analog realm is brickwalling.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  I myself have dozens of recordings in the dust bins of history.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:04 AM »
Just to clarify, I don't think it is "clipping" per se.  Clipping is a digitial phenomenon, and unless I am mistaken, the Church preamp does not have an A/D and the signal to the iRiver is still analog.  I think the proper term for this in the analog realm is brickwalling.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  I myself have dozens of recordings in the dust bins of history.

The term clipping has been around long before digital was even a glint in the eye of the recording world. It refers to a waveform reaching the maximum amount of headroom a device has to offer. This means that part of the Sinusoidal waveform now contains DC voltage instead of 100% AC voltage. If you look at this picture you can see that the waveform is flat at the top this is distortion. When we talk about percentage of distortion we are talking about the width and frequency of this distortion over a given period of time. Brickwalling is another way of describing a lack of headroom or dynamic range a device has to offer. Clipping refers to a analog process that has reached its limit and now produces some DC voltage at its output instead of pure AC voltage.

Chris Church

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:31:59 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »

The term clipping has been around long before digital was even a glint in the eye of the recording world. It refers to a waveform reaching the maximum amount of headroom a device has to offer. This means that part of the Sinusoidal waveform now contains DC voltage instead of 100% AC voltage. If you look at this picture you can see that the waveform is flat at the top this is distortion. When we talk about percentage of distortion we are talking about the width and frequency of this distortion over a given period of time. Brickwalling is another way of describing a lack of headroom or dynamic range a device has to offer. Clipping refers to a analog process that has reached its limit and now produces some DC voltage at its output instead of pure AC voltage.

Chris Church

Whoa, for the first time I understand this stuff! ;D +t
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com