Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 + Kingston 32gb SDHC dont match??  (Read 9794 times)

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
PCM-M10 + Kingston 32gb SDHC dont match??
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
I got my brand new genuine card and I cant make it be seen in my m10.
It is a genuine card and I place it right (facing the back of the recorder I see the card brand name). It starts writing "accessing...", then I go to the Menu-Memory-Card and then it displays "Process Error". I tried to trick it and then as card seems selected to format the card inside m10, it starts formatting but then again "Process error".
I have repeated all these too many times.
Any suggestions?
The 32gb card has been checked and works flawlessly in my PC, mac and lumix photo.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: PCM-M10 + Kingston 32gb SDHC dont match??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I may be wrong but as far as I know the M10 does not support SDHC.

"microSD/Memory Stick™ (M2™)slot"

meaning it will accept up to 16GB I think..

Neil

Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
^^^ It does support microSDHC, but, as you said, only up to 16 GB.  From the manual: "A microSD (FAT16) card smaller than 2 GB and a microSDHC (FAT32) card from 4 GB to 16 GB are supported."

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »

Turn the card over and see if it gets read that way. The slot takes M2 cards and SD cards, one is face up and one is face down.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
There's a diagram on the back of the unit as to how the "teeth" of the card go. Yes, the brand name faces the back of the unit, but with my (SanDisk 16GB) card, the brand name is also upside-down.

Then again, as noted above, you may be up against a 16GB limit.

Turn the card over and see if it gets read that way. The slot takes M2 cards and SD cards, one is face up and one is face down.

Offline Grey Area

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
I have a 32GB card from Sandisk in my Clip+ mp3-player; I just put it into my PCM-M10, and all my ~30GB of music showed up fine there as well, no complaints from the M10. So maybe there is a difference between the card brands, or there is some unfortunate formatting oddity going on for you, meursault.

I would not pay too much attention to memory limits in manuals and specifications. Manufacturers usually test their new devices with the cards that are available at the time of release, and 16GB was the largest microSD when the M10 appeared, so that became the maximum capacity they could state. For example, many old Sony-Ericsson phones still have "official" limits of 2GB or 4GB despite working with much bigger cards, or older notebooks can sometimes carry more RAM than originally thought because 2GB modules only appeared much later.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
So maybe do some testing with recording onto 32GB microSD's to be sure?

Offline Grey Area

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
Good point, I have done that now. I let it record a few hours, until the first recording file had reached 2GB in size and the M10 started the next file. Seems to be no problem.

Offline wmacky1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »
Good point, I have done that now. I let it record a few hours, until the first recording file had reached 2GB in size and the M10 started the next file. Seems to be no problem.

Can you tell me excactly which Sandisk card you have, as I'm going to get it!

Offline Grey Area

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:12:17 AM »
I think they only have one type of 32GB microSD card available (and it is class 2 only, but apparently it is fast enough for recording).

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
I have a 32GB card from Sandisk in my Clip+ mp3-player; I just put it into my PCM-M10, and all my ~30GB of music showed up fine there as well, no complaints from the M10. So maybe there is a difference between the card brands, or there is some unfortunate formatting oddity going on for you, meursault.

I would not pay too much attention to memory limits in manuals and specifications. Manufacturers usually test their new devices with the cards that are available at the time of release, and 16GB was the largest microSD when the M10 appeared, so that became the maximum capacity they could state. For example, many old Sony-Ericsson phones still have "official" limits of 2GB or 4GB despite working with much bigger cards, or older notebooks can sometimes carry more RAM than originally thought because 2GB modules only appeared much later.

You are right. Listen to what this Sony guy here says.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T647ibuvYhk
He says that in the future you can put the 32gb cards. It seems that my card is a counterfeit ebay card that now I returned and expect a full refund.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:39:17 PM by earmonger »

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
H2testw, original source
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 04:24:04 AM »
Hi all,

I use H2testw to test all new memory cards and USB sticks before use. I found a new USB stick with defective memory cells this way and could return it to the vendor, complete with printed out error listing. No discussions needed.

BTW the original source is here:

http://www.heise.de/software/download/h2testw/50539

Heise is the editor of the renowned german computer magazine c´t. I would refer to this site for the newest, virus-free version.

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com