Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126279 times)

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 01:03:29 AM »
m10 is 24/96, too, or is it not? At any rate, 24/96 is dogs can hear only

:laugh:
I guess my point was that there is no reason someone using it as a voice recorder would be using 24/96, so it can't just be intended for voice. Or maybe it is. I'm wrong all the time!
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »

I guess my point was that there is no reason someone using it as a voice recorder would be using 24/96, so it can't just be intended for voice. Or maybe it is. I'm wrong all the time!

Given the photos, Sony clearly doesn't intend it to be used just as a voice recorder, even if they're categorizing it under "voice recorders."

Whether this makes it good enough for our purposes is an open question, but that was true for the R-07 when it came out, too. I'm cautiously optimistic, with an emphasis on the caution.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Got mine today. The build quality feels about the same as the recent Roland R07. Nowhere near as solid as the M10, but compared to that, it's really tiny. Did a quick test of the iOS app. What I really liked about the R07 app is the fact that you can re-connect from within the iOS app. For the Sony A10, you actually have to switch to iOS' Bluetooth settings to make the connection, then switch back to the Sony app.

I have some shows this and next weekend, so I should be able to run some tests.

Here's a first picture for size comparison.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 02:41:42 PM »

I'm looking forward to reading about your findings! 

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
Never understood the sony fluffing.

Very happy with my Roland R-05!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
Does it run for 31 days?  ;D
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 02:35:28 AM »

Thank you for this valuable contribution to the discussion.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 03:01:44 AM »

ROLAND R-05??

What kind of Sony A-10 is that?

tell me more!!!??!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 04:53:58 AM »
I am curious to hear your results...
Where did you get it, btw? I haven't seen in on B&H or anywhere else.

Got mine today. The build quality feels about the same as the recent Roland R07. Nowhere near as solid as the M10, but compared to that, it's really tiny. Did a quick test of the iOS app. What I really liked about the R07 app is the fact that you can re-connect from within the iOS app. For the Sony A10, you actually have to switch to iOS' Bluetooth settings to make the connection, then switch back to the Sony app.

Here's a first picture for size comparison.
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 05:59:31 AM »

Thank you for this valuable contribution to the discussion.

You're welcome!
Have a good weekend!  :cheers: ;D
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »
Where did you get it, btw? I haven't seen in on B&H or anywhere else.

I ordered it from German retailer Conrad. They had listed it to be available for a November 17 delivery, so I was very surprised when I got the shipping confirmation two days ago.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
Will definitely be following this thread. I love my M10 and I definitely want to stay with Sony since it's all I have been running since I started. Just really happy with their quality.

The sticker does say "High-res audio"  :yack:
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Here are my preliminary findings after the first few days and the first show with the A10. I am comparing the A10 primarily to the recently released Roland R-07 and the older Sony PCM-M10 (for which the A10 might be Sony's successor). One focus point for me is the comparison of the Sony and Roland iOS apps (as I am mostly a stealth taper and these apps will be how I presume to be using my recorders most of the time).

• Build quality is on the same level as Roland R-07. Not as solid (and heavy) as the PCM-M10. It fits well into a hand.
  • The A10 starts up really fast (in less than 5 seconds it's ready to record onto an SD card).
  • Battery run time is exceptional. The specs list 20 hours of recording time at 24/44.1. However, I was able record from the Line-in for 23.5 straight hours on a single charge.
  • A completely discharged battery takes approximately 90 minutes to charge (via the USB ports on a 2014 MacBook Pro).
  • The input is switchable between Mic and Line levels via a menu. However, this menu only exists on the device and not in the iOS app.
  • By default, the A10 creates WAVE files that are 4 GB big. This is valid per the WAVE file specification. However, some programs can only handle files up to 2 GB. There is no way to change this behavior on the recorder
  • You need to establish the Bluetooth connection via iOS Bluetooth settings. The Roland app lets you do this from within the app. For the Sony, there is one additional app switch required.
  • I like the level meters on the A10 app better than the ones on the Roland app. They have the -12dB mark in the center and this feels much more like what I'm used to. In my opinion, the Roland app wastes way too much screen space to displaying levels below -20dB (where the details don't really interest me). Also, I like the fact that it gives me a number of the current peak level value. I also really like the fact that it displays the wave form from the last 10 or so seconds. I guess this makes it possible to spot problems like brickwalling early on during recording.
  • The Sony app does not have a slider for setting the recording levels like the Roland app does. Therefore, changing levels can be quite slow as you need to repeatedly press the + or - buttons
  • Setting recording levels on the Sony A10 is way easier than on the Roland R-07. On the Roland, once you push either the + or - button, a big popup appears on the screen with the current level value, obstructing the view of the level meters. The Sony keeps the level meters visible while adjusting levels. However, I must say that I still prefer the old PCM-M10's level wheel. It's way easier to make big adjustments with the wheel than to use discrete steps via the +/- buttons. On the other hand, for stealth situations it's nice to be able to engage the hold feature for the levels.
  • The battery status is displayed on the Sony app, although it only displays the same icon as the device (a battery with 4 segments). The Roland app displays a percentage value, which I find more useful
  • For cross memory recording, the manual of the A10 states that it's possible that some audio may get lost when switching from internal memory to SD card (or vice-versa).

I just came back from the first show with the A10. Actually, I took both the A10 and the Roland R-07 with me. I used a split cable to feed the same signal to both recorders. I uploaded the same song from both recordings. Both files are unedited, besides a little level bump of 1.2 dB on the R07 source to make both recordings the same volume.

The band is called Chvrches. This is Schoeps MK41V > tinybox > Sony PCM-A10 and Roland R-07. A10 levels were set to 9 and resulted in peaks at -5.5 dB, R07 levels were set to 18 and resulted in peaks at -6.7 dB.
Here's the WeTransfer link. Should be good for a week:
https://we.tl/t-XM2Nw4YrUr

I really can't hear a difference between the A10 and R-07. The frequency analysis shows a small difference around 20.5 kHz, but I guess years of loud shows left me incapable of hearing it. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:51:08 PM by Sebastian »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
I'm not really in the market for a new small recorder, but I still want to say thanks for putting so much effort into this comparison.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
Awesome review!

Even after selling three decks to get down to four, I really want to hear the A10 mic in with babynbox. Despite after buying three 620s and having them all nodded. Sick!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com