Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Camcorder for low profile concert recording? Sony HDR-CX520V ?  (Read 13052 times)

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
I am so impressed witht he image quality of a recent Roger Waters video that I want to try to video record a few shows on the down low while I audio as well.

The Waters show was recorded using a Sony HDR-CX520V   I will buy this in a heartbeat if it is stil the best but it is over a year old so I just wondered if
anyone else knows of something better?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX520V-Flash-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B002NR7CYU

Here is a link to the Waters video that is so superb it has been downloaded over 2,000 times!!  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=324259

Thanks in advance for any info.
Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best Camcorder for low profile concert recording? Sony HDR-CX520V ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
I will buy this in a heartbeat if it is stil the best but it is over a year old so I just wondered if
anyone else knows of something better?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX520V-Flash-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B002NR7CYU

well this may seem obvious but you click on that link and it says right there 'there is a newer model of this item':

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX550V-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0031RGL1G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
I have the 550v and two 500s.  Amazing cams. Just make sure to manually set your exposure.

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
I have the 550v and two 500s.  Amazing cams. Just make sure to manually set your exposure.

I take it you then prefer the 500 over the 550?

Thanks,
datfly
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
I wouldn't get any of the Sonys TBH. I can't remember anything specifc, but I'm pretty sure the low light is fairly unremarkable, and you seriously need every last drop you can get.

You need a Viewfinder (for stealthing this is invalueable most of the time), a true Progressive mode (this will allow the cam to open the shutter for twice as long as when shooting interlaced = more light), and, of course, a BIG sensor with a SMALL pixel count.

The CX550 has no progressive mode, and, from what I can tell from some quick research, the low light at 50i is roughly equal to the Panasonic TM700 also at 50i. But then the 25p mode on the Panny gives you more light, you get much more reach with the zoom, and it's $200 cheaper at amazon to boot. Also, the Apeture of the lens on the TM700 closes down to F2.8 on the long end, whereas the Sony closes down to F3.4. Yet more delicious delicious light for the Panny.

If I had to upgrade from my HV20, TM700 is where I'd go.

Online beatkilla

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »
@datfly i prefer the 550v as it has built in 64gb flash memory. The 500 has 32gb . Do not get the harddrive version it is much larger.The sony 500   550v is outstanding in low light.It is just  as good as my sony fx1000 which is more than 3 times the cost.If you want better low light get a Canon 7 d. But for low pro the sony cx 550 is hard to beat.

Online beatkilla

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
Also to note the 500 has no mic input or headphone the 550 has both.The 500 has the wheel for exposure inside where the Lcd flips out while the 550 has the dial on the front of the cam.The 500 has no viewfinder and the 550 does. Both are the same in image quality.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
mic in is soooo worth it imo
for open shows you can run right from the recorder to the cam and have no post show dubbing
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
Well for me it is between the Sony cx500v and the Panasonic TM700.
I want the 12X zoom of the Panny & the cleaness of the low light Sony.

Looking online I see there are several comparisons between the two but they seem biased
as there is the Panasonic group & the Sony group, much like Canon & Nikon! (See my Signature)

Has anyone zoomed to a stage at 10X from the back of an average arena?
Would it be all the stage only or could you get to a single performer? (obviously not kees to head but enough that they would be the highlight?)

I shot a few shows with my Sony TRV-350 Digital 8 and it had a superb 20X Optical zoom, but it's not HD, that's for sure.

Is there any one thing that would trump one or the other that I am missing?

Thanks,
datfly
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
I'm a panasonic fanboy for their cameras but I like the sony m10 recorder, so I'm not completely opposed to sony. I wouldn't even consider a camera with out a viewfinder because its not always practical to use an LCD.
As its already been mentioned, the panasonic has an aperture at 2.8 at the widest zoom--very impressive.

get the panasonic and be done.  ;D

Do you have a computer fast enough to handle the HD video from either camera?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »

Looking online I see there are several comparisons between the two but they seem biased
as there is the Panasonic group & the Sony group, much like Canon & Nikon! (See my Signature)

Would it be all the stage only or could you get to a single performer? (obviously not kees to head but enough that they would be the highlight?)

I shot a few shows with my Sony TRV-350 Digital 8 and it had a superb 20X Optical zoom, but it's not HD, that's for sure.

Thanks,
datfly
Honestly, I'm not convinced that the Sony is gonna look any better in low light. I'm not saying the Sony is bad, just not better. In terms of sensor, the sony is 1/2.88" @ 4.15 megapixels, and the Panny is three x 1/4.1" @ 3.05 each. Smaller sensors, but smaller pixel count on each too. And then you have, like I said in my last post, a true progressive mode allowing slower shutter speeds, and a faster lens throughout the entire zoom range. Seriously, unless anyone can prove me wrong, I would not expect for a second that the Sony is better in that respect.

The Panny has a viewfinder (seriously man, I'd be LOST without one), one of the most comprehensive range of manual controls you can ever find on a small amatuer camcorder (including a focus ring. I'd kill for a focus ring TBH), and the zoom actually goes up to 18x (with some trickery). Not digital zoom, just cropping the full sensor resolution image down instead of resizing. There shouldn't be any degredation with this, in theory, but I've never experienced it first hand.

Even discounting that, bear in mind that the Sony starts off wider angle, so ends at a wider angle too. The longest end of the zoom stops at the equivalent of 300mm. The Panny goes up to 420mm with just the 12x optical, and 630mm with the extra zoom. If you're shooting from opposite the stage in an arena, you'll need all you can get. It does start getting hard to keep steady past 400mm ish though. Yet another reason to use a viewfinder - hold it against your face, your face stabilises it.

I'm sure the CX500/550 is a perfectly fine piece of kit, but if I were you it's a no-brainer  :P

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »

The panasonic Viewfinder is not a tilt viewfinder so you would have to hold it to your eye to use it.
My old Sony had the viewfinder that would tilt up so I could record with the Sony in my lap & glance down to
zoom & shoot.

I have viewed a lot of the comparison videos and most do claim the Sony wins for noise free low light recording.
I will say the Roger Waters video is solid proof of that, but I have not seen a Panny concert video yet.

So yes, a little more research and I will decide.

I saw the Slow Motion & Time Lapse videos that look superbly cool!

Thanks again,
datfly

Thanks,
datfly
Honestly, I'm not convinced that the Sony is gonna look any better in low light. I'm not saying the Sony is bad, just not better. In terms of sensor, the sony is 1/2.88" @ 4.15 megapixels, and the Panny is three x 1/4.1" @ 3.05 each. Smaller sensors, but smaller pixel count on each too. And then you have, like I said in my last post, a true progressive mode allowing slower shutter speeds, and a faster lens throughout the entire zoom range. Seriously, unless anyone can prove me wrong, I would not expect for a second that the Sony is better in that respect.

The Panny has a viewfinder (seriously man, I'd be LOST without one), one of the most comprehensive range of manual controls you can ever find on a small amatuer camcorder (including a focus ring. I'd kill for a focus ring TBH), and the zoom actually goes up to 18x (with some trickery). Not digital zoom, just cropping the full sensor resolution image down instead of resizing. There shouldn't be any degredation with this, in theory, but I've never experienced it first hand.

Even discounting that, bear in mind that the Sony starts off wider angle, so ends at a wider angle too. The longest end of the zoom stops at the equivalent of 300mm. The Panny goes up to 420mm with just the 12x optical, and 630mm with the extra zoom. If you're shooting from opposite the stage in an arena, you'll need all you can get. It does start getting hard to keep steady past 400mm ish though. Yet another reason to use a viewfinder - hold it against your face, your face stabilises it.

I'm sure the CX500/550 is a perfectly fine piece of kit, but if I were you it's a no-brainer  :P
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
I did notice the panasonic does not have a tilt viewfinder but I think its better than NO viewfinder because it also has an lcd screen.
where can you even buy the sony? b&h doesn't have it, adorama doesn't have it, and the only place that seems to have info on it is amazon.com.
what does the sony record onto?

tails points out that the panny has a focus ring, another reason why I would choose that camera.

read some of the reviews on the tm700
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674275-REG/Panasonic_HDC_TM700K.html
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
I only looked up the Sony on Amazon but B&H does carry the CX550V  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671536-REG/Sony_HDR_CX550V_HDR_CX550V_64GB_HD_Handycam.html
The Sony does actually have a viewfinder as well. I am still digging & researching  but I am leaning towards the Panny at this point.  ;D

datfly

I did notice the panasonic does not have a tilt viewfinder but I think its better than NO viewfinder because it also has an lcd screen.
where can you even buy the sony? b&h doesn't have it, adorama doesn't have it, and the only place that seems to have info on it is amazon.com.
what does the sony record onto?

tails points out that the panny has a focus ring, another reason why I would choose that camera.

read some of the reviews on the tm700
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674275-REG/Panasonic_HDC_TM700K.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:40:54 PM by Datfly »
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
limo window tint works great over the lcd but i too like to have a view finder
better battery life
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com