Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lol, another use of my MT24/96  (Read 3122 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
lol, another use of my MT24/96
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:12:54 PM »
Ive recorded a few shows with it, and Im very pleased with it yada yada, but recently, Ive been using it to transfer dl'd shn shows from my ibook to my desktop to convert to audio/burn to data dvd. so far, it works great for this double purpose.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
Re: lol, another use of my MT24/96
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:26:31 AM »
You're using it as a portable drive - not bad.  Mine doubles as an excellent door stop.  I'm back to my trusty M1.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 08:20:07 AM by gl0bber »

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:10:49 AM »
You're using it as a portable drive - not bad.  Mine doubles as an excellent door stop.  I'm back to my trusty M1.

The MT is a little light for a door stop.  I used to use mine as a paper weight.  I'm back to the JB3.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:36:02 AM »

The MT is a little light for a door stop.  I used to use mine as a paper weight.  I'm back to the JB3.

I was joking of course, as you are, but I feel that $400 +/- is quite a bit of money for a flash drive.  Yeah, they sure don't make 'em like they used to, but, silly me, I have high hopes for the R-09.  I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.  :'(

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:57:05 PM »
I've also found a nifty 2nd use for my MicroTrack...  Time-shifting of satellite radio shows.   I got a XACT XTR8 plug n' play Sirius satellite radio for Xmas.  Yeah, I'm a big Howard Stern fan!  Been listening to Stern for nearly 10 years now and there's no way I was going to be left behind when he moved to Sirius.  Good riddance to censored FM radio!  I haven't listened to FM radio whatsoever since I got Sirius.   I bought a 2nd antenna for my radio so I could take it to work and listen to Stern in the mornings and Bubba the Love Sponge in the afternoon, as well as the different music channels Sirius offers.  But I quickly found out that my Sirius reception at work is shaky at best.  I have the antenna pointed towards the office window, but the windows faces the wrong direction to get any signal from the Sirius satellites.  It does pick up a terrestial repeater signal from downtown Phoenix, but that signal is unpredictable.  The signal will come in strong at times, then go away completely or continually fade in and out   Makes it hard to listen to.  So I've come up with a solution using my MicroTrack.  I have my XACT radio line-out connected to my MicroTrack 1/4" TRS inputs using a 1/8" mini to 1/4" TRS Y-adapter.  I'll record the Stern East coast live feed to my MT in mp3 format in the morning.  The East coast feed of the show ends before I leave for work, so I have time to transfer that mp3 recording from my CF card to my PC and then to my iPod.  Then pop the CF card back into my Microtrack and have it record the rest of the shows on the Stern channel the remainder of the day.  So I now listen to Stern at work through my iPod and the other Stern channel shows through my PC when I get home from work, or transfer it to my iPod and listen to it at work the next day.   The one drawback is that I have to set my alarm clock to wake me up right before 4:00am in order to start recording the east coast feed.  It would be nice if the Microtrack had some timer operation so I could have it automatically start recording at 4am.  Since the MT does keep date/time, I can't see why this wouldn't be possible.  Of course this would be a low priority.  I'd like to see M-Audio address the more important issues like the 2GB auto-split.

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline timewasajoke

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:14:22 AM »
Ive recorded a few shows with it, and Im very pleased with it yada yada, but recently, Ive been using it to transfer dl'd shn shows from my ibook to my desktop to convert to audio/burn to data dvd. so far, it works great for this double purpose.

That's how i figured i could justify the wright off to the IRS in my small business when i purchased mine.  ;D

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »
only select stations are available to listen online....and howard stern 100 and 101 is not one of them
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:13:07 PM »
...or if your company blocks streaming media sites.  >:(
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 12:34:25 PM »
...or if your company blocks streaming media sites.  >:(

Howard has been saying that streaming of his show is "coming soon".

The company I work for isn't blocking streaming sites, but they did announce a new network policy two weeks ago prohibiting streaming of music and other audio across our network.  So I can't go that route once the Stern show does start streaming.   A number of co-workers were already streaming Sirius and XM music channels.  We only have a T1 at our office, so all the streaming going on was getting noticed by our IT network admin.  I've noticed Sirius internet streams are pretty low quality, so I'm better off capturing the Stern show audio from my XACT to my MT (or PC) and transfering to my ipod.  With the ipod I can pause and restart listening when I need to attend meetings, answer the phone, etc.  Can't do that with a live internet stream.
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:32:07 PM »
I bought the MT 24/96 for live recording, and it has been great. I have been very lucky and not had any issues. The meters are dead on accrurate, and my 5GB Seagate Microdrive works fine. For stealth or non stealth, I have really been impressed.

But I too found another use for my MT, and that is the seemingly endless task of digitizing my old concerts that are on tape. The cassette to MT, gives a cleaner copy of my tapes than the Santa Cruz soundcard in my PC. Also again with the meters being so good,(once I learned how to read them), I find that I no longer can bring myself to go direct to my PC. After recording I dump into soundforge and work form there, and start the process over. The MT has proven very versatile.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com