Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New taper starter gear questions...now all geared up!  (Read 13256 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New taper starter gear questions
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »
I think adorama just had or has the 60dii for $125.  I think it has the same preamps on the xlrs as the 680mkii.  If you don't mind the block of butter size case, my 60d has given reliable service.  That leaves a huge chunk of the budget for mics.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
Thanks for all the info and opinions, my head is spinning with options.

Here is what I am thinking now (wife says I can spend a little more):

Option A: AKG C460 w/ C61 > SD USBPre2 > Sony M10

Option B: AKG C460 w/ C61 > Zoom F8

Price is about the same for either option. 

Or do I wait and save some more money and look for a used SD 702 (one sold for $1,150 recently)?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:47:50 AM by nolamule »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
Thanks for all the info and opinions, my head is spinning with options.

Here is what I am thinking now (wife says I can spend a little more):

Option A: AKG C460 w/ C61 > SD USBPre2 > Sony M10

Option B: AKG C460 w/ C61 > Zoom F8

Price is about the same for either option. 

Or do I wait and save some more money and look for a used SD 702 (one sold for $1,150 recently)?

If you add the 702 as a third option, I think that any of those options would give you a great rig.  I'd rate them fairly evenly and differentiate based on how you think you'll go from here.  If you prefer the USBPre2 for it's standalone capabilities, it rates higher.  If you think you'll be expanding your rig later, the Zoom F8 rates higher because it has more channels and timecode.  If you want the highest quality, proven dependable for the long haul, the 702 rates higher.  I personally think these three choices are about the best options of those presented so far. 

Note also that those saying $100 to $200 for extras...I don't know how anyone could possibly spend $100 and get everything you need.  I'd personally be hard pressed to come in under $200.  A good mic stand alone is going to run you $70 minimum and PLEASE don't waste your money on a cheap one.  You'll only end up throwing it out and buying a better one anyway, so save yourself the wasted $30 or $40 up front, unless you can find a good one used.

Here ya go:

Stand 70
XLR cables 40
Mic Mounts 40
Wind Screens 40
Clamp 20
TBar 20
Gear Bag 40
Flashlight 20
Bungies/Cable ties/Velcro ties  15
Rechargeable Batteries 50-100
Cable to go between battery and recorder 40
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:22:40 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
..I am considereing to spare the below

AKG CK61, 62 ,63
Naiant actives
Naiant Tinybox lately modified by Jon with the new battry type and a belt clip
3 mic bars made to fit the Naiant actives....

note that I joint the Schoeps club and could use the money to buy more Schoeps gear...

IMO that will make a prefect starter set for open and  >:D taping

I PM'd you to get some more info on your setup.

Anyone have any opinions on the Naiant actives > Tinybox compared to my previous selections?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
POW! $179...leaves plenty for mics!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html
$125 after rebate in the retail section

love the naiant actives too
unless you need/want the zoom functions, you are going to pay a lot for it. I say go with the sd > m10 and/or d60
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:17:22 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
POW! $179...leaves plenty for mics!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html
$125 after rebate in the retail section

love the naiant actives too
unless you need/want the zoom functions, you are going to pay a lot for it. I say go with the sd > m10 and/or d60

I'm also firmly in the cheaper recorder camp...its so little to invest for...essentially...the same end result/product as you'd get with ZOOM F8.

Except you'll being doing it with better mics...

If you get to point where you start wanting more than 4 channels - you can probably get most of your investment back in re-sale. A used DR-60Dmkii is going to be worth 100 bucks for a while...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »
The USBPre2 is a very nice piece of gear; I owned and used it for several years. However, its main benefit is that it can be USB powered and that it connects digitally to recorders, which it cannot do with an M10. So that plus an M10 is not a good match; if anything, that plus a used D50 is the smarter move.

It is true that recorders lose their value more than other equipment; that's why I ultimately went with a Zoom F8 and not a $5500 Sonosax SX-R4+. But I wouldn't just take any piece of junk at the most cut-rate price and go with that. Most of the cut-rate junk, like virtually every offering by Tascam, costs that little for a reason. If you look at the threads, you'll see lots of "little quirks" and problems that add up to a big pain. Again, I'm not just making that up; I've owed at least three Tascam units.

Personally, I also prefer an all-in-one solution, rather than multiple different failure points in the chain. Decks like the Roland R-26 ($500) are excellent as all-in-one boxes, plus that deck also has two extra channels you can use for an SBD or with an outboard pre. The F8 is, so far, a very nice piece of equipment, robust in build, with lots of options, and it can be controlled remotely by an app on an iPhone, which to me is a huge benefit. However, it might also be more than you "need." I'd also look for a used Edirol R-44, which can be had for about $550. That thing is a rock-solid piece of equipment that is easy to operate, sounds good, and works correctly every time.

I guess if you go to only shows with a lot of other tapers, it doesn't really matter if your gear fails from time to time. With most of mine, if I screw up, there won't be a tape of it, so I prefer reliability and certainty of execution over all things.

Also, further back it seemed you were considering Schoeps. If you are (and you don't necessarily need to; the AKGs are great mics) I would not buy some AKGs as an "interim step." You'll just end up basically making the Schoeps you actually want more expensive by buying an incremental upgrade that you're going to change out later.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
I just checked the Roland R-26 (I need another recorder like a hole in the head) and they are down to $400. I love my R-44 and wont part with it for anything.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
What's a good price for gently used AKG c480 pair w/ ck61?

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

around here... $800
ebay... not that low  :-\

I sold a pair of 480 bodies earlier this year for $450, ck61 capsules typically go anywhere from $300 to $350 around here

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »

around here... $800
ebay... not that low  :-\

I sold a pair of 480 bodies earlier this year for $450, ck61 capsules typically go anywhere from $300 to $350 around here

What about a single CK69 shotgun?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »
My thoughts are to spend the bulk of your budget on quality mics. While admittedly being a preamp whore in the past with today's current multi channel decks you get pretty solid preamps so at the end of the day the difference for what we do is negligible & with some subtle eq almost not worth carrying around the extra preamp, cables & battery. The microphones will impart the most of the sonic signature of your recording anyway so it makes the most sense (to me at least) to spend most of your budget there.

The AKG's are an excellent choice but make sure you save up for some hypers if you buy the cards (61's) first. I prefer the warmth of the 460's over the 480's personally after having multiple pairs of each but you can't go wrong either way. You can tape for years with AKG's & make great tapes but if your considering moving towards Schoeps you'll probably be better off just buying them. If your budget won't allow that in a feasible time, in other words you want to buy something sooner rather than later then go AKG's. What we do is funny, I've pretty much always owned multiple mics with at least one set being AKG, paying for Schoeps isn't a gaurentee of superior recordings, either set of mics will sound great if the location & technique is there. The flavor between various mics is the difference using the same technique, sure obviously some mics or more specifically patterns will have an edge over the other but any of the top quality microphones we use around here will have similar results all things being equal. Buy what you like, tape for yourself & your own ears. It's much more fun & rewarding working on your technique than spending money. In the end you have a lot of choices, don't be overwhelmed, there's a lot of knowledge around here to help you make an educated buying decision. Good luck & have fun!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
Anyone have any input on the moded recorders from Oade?

http://www.oade.com/

I think I have settled on the AKG 480s but still trying to figure out what to do about a preamp, ADC, & recorder.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
I've had a few Oade modded item's in the past & highly recommend them. Doug is one of the greats & pioneer's in what we do. Have no fear dealing with him.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
I've had a few Oade modded item's in the past & highly recommend them. Doug is one of the greats & pioneer's in what we do. Have no fear dealing with him.

Trying to figure out if a Oade moded 661MKII or R44e stand up to a SD702. What do you think?

Also right now in YS, I can get a SD USBPre2>R44 or a SD702 for about the same price. I like both these options.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:49:42 AM by nolamule »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com