Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just got some MBHOs  (Read 4996 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Just got some MBHOs
« on: August 12, 2003, 10:12:06 PM »
A friend let me borrow his MBHO 603As and a UA5.  I'm gonna use them to tape Nickel Creek on friday.  My question, though, is how should I run them?  I usually just stick to XY on my at933s, but I've got a Shure vert bar so i was thinking of experimenting with ORTF/DIN/NOS/whatever.  Anyone ever run these have any advice???  

Thanks! ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:Just got some MBHOs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 10:13:06 PM »
I really like DIN

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 10:21:01 PM »
I don't recommend running MBHOs XY.  They're pretty bright as it is, and running XY will just accentuate the brightness - too much, IMO.

If you're up close, run 'em ORTF or NOS (not sure it's doable with the Shure bar).  DIN is also a solid choice no matter where you're located.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 10:54:57 PM »
I don't recommend running MBHOs XY.  They're pretty bright as it is, and running XY will just accentuate the brightness - too much, IMO.

If you're up close, run 'em ORTF or NOS (not sure it's doable with the Shure bar).  DIN is also a solid choice no matter where you're located.

But from the back of the Norva, the brightness would be a help.  XY doesn't accentuate the brightness it just does not cancel it out due to phasing.  If they let you set up DFC in front of the board go XY or ATS (at the stacks) a.k.a. the Nutter technique (5-6" spread pointed about a foot to the outside of either stack.)

I won't be there for this one, I've caught them 5 times this year so far!!  Beware though they sometimes have real low volume.  I'm taping Mraz/Phair at 9:30 on Sat, and 311 on Sun.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 11:36:15 PM »
ATS unless you can get onstage (but that would kill the vocals).  XY with that band and MBHO's would be crazy in the high end, maybe too much.  Be prepared to run the stand high, Nickel Creek is beginning to attract the DMB/Mayer crowd.  Send them my way if they come out!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 11:37:00 PM by Lee »
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 01:43:21 AM »
DIN and ORTF, i usually stick by these at every show, except in small indoor venues and then XY seems to work out better

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 07:57:49 AM »
Thanks for all the advice (+t to all).  I'll probably run my at933's as well, just in case the crowd is a little to feisty... ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 08:05:33 AM »
But from the back of the Norva, the brightness would be a help.

This I don't know as I'm not familiar with the venue.

XY doesn't accentuate the brightness it just does not cancel it out due to phasing.

Good point, poor choice of words on my part.

If they let you set up DFC in front of the board go XY or ATS (at the stacks) a.k.a. the Nutter technique (5-6" spread pointed about a foot to the outside of either stack.)

Good thing we all have different ears - I'm not fond of either XY or ATS, especially with the MBHOs.

Have fun at the show, I think NC are pretty tight right now, and the addition of Mark Schatz on bass works well!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 10:15:26 AM »
Hell yeah, I hope that dude can slam some bad-ass bass 'cause Nickel Creek could really use some of that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com