Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery life  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Battery life
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
Hello,

I'm using my m10 with ca14 cards and a ugly 2 pre amp. After every show I replace all the batteries, as I have no idea for how long they work.

Any ideas?

Thierry

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Battery life
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
The M10 supposedly is good for 20 hours+ on a fresh set of batteries. I believe the Ugly should be good for at least 30 hours but Chris could chime in on that.

I don't ever want to have to worry about when to change batteries, so I use the Imedion Low Self Discharge rechargeable versions of AA's and 9 volts (which are actually 9.6 volts).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
Next time you tape with a new set of batteries, let them run overnight while recording a radio or something (downstairs where it's not going to be heard) until they go dead at home after the show.  You're not losing anything since you throw the batteries away anyway, right? 

Note how long each device operates before it goes dead.  If the m10 goes dead before the ca-ugly, install a fresh set of batteries in the m10 and then let the ugly run out.  Note that you'll probably want to have a 32gb card to do this test assuming you allow the m10 to run without stopping it otherwise your card will fill and everything will stop automatically.  Alternatively, before starting the run time test you could select a lower bit depth and sampling rate to get more recording time out of a smaller card. 

When I do run time tests like this, I choose a small file size because if you leave the max file size as 2gb and the recorder goes dead overnight or when you're not looking, unless your recorder auto saves files, you'll only know your run time plus or minus an hour. 

Probably goes without saying, but the way you know when the preamp goes dead is your signal drops to nothing on the recording.  The way you know your recorder goes dead is the total duration of the files that are recorded onto the card before the recorder goes dead. 

Since it sounds like the CA-ugly run time is longer than the m10, it will be a little harder to get an accurate run-time on the CA-ugly since you'll need to be there to change the batteries when the M10 goes dead at least once to get a good total run-time duration for the ca-ugly, unless you run the tests separately and plug the m10 into a wall wart so that it never goes dead.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:57:15 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
To be honest I would just get a good set of rechargeables as described above for both recorder and preamp and make sure they are both primed before each show. Takes one of the worries out of recording rather than trying to guess how long is left. You will come unstuck that way eventually.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys :). Unfortunately I can't get that type of batteries here in Holland.

How about some Duracell rechargables?

It looks like it would be fine to use the same batteries for my upcoming concerts next week.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
Duracell rechargeables ok but you need to get a decent charger as well, one with digital readout on the health of the battery.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys :). Unfortunately I can't get that type of batteries here in Holland.

You can definitely get the low self-discharge batteries in the Netherlands.  Try one of the online camera shops (like conrad.nl) or battery distributors (like batterijenhuis.nl) for Eneloops.  For the Imedions, try http://www.mahapowerex.eu/rechargeable-batteries.html...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
Hello,

I'm using my m10 with ca14 cards and a ugly 2 pre amp. After every show I replace all the batteries, as I have no idea for how long they work.

Any ideas?

Thierry
I've done entire festivals followed by several 2-3 hour shows with a single set of M10 batteries. The Ugly 2's batt should last at least 25 hours (bare minimum) as well. I'm more paranoid about those batts than the M10. Replacing M10 batts that often is just a waste.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:08:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I'll stick to changing batteries for now, I've got a few of them left.

I won't change them that often anymore :).

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
The battery charge indicator on the M10 is pretty accurate. I swap mine out when it gets to the last bar; I've ran it an hour even after it starts blinking.

I'm old skool and still have a portable CD player that I use while I'm mowing the grass. I use the old batts out of the M10 for that and usually can still play several CD's at full blast till they finally crap out.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Marshall7

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I'll stick to changing batteries for now, I've got a few of them left.

I won't change them that often anymore :).

The M10 manual has a chart that gives you expected battery life at various recording settings. 

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Update: I was at a Robert Earl Keen show Saturday and the meter on my M-10 got to the last 1/2 bar and started flashing. I crossed my fingers and held my breath. Ran for an hour like that before the show ended and it was still going. The worry factor sucked but at least I know not to panic too bad if it gets to that point.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
Sorry I've been away for awhile.I have great luck running Duracell rechargeable's in my Edirol R-09HR and mikes.I usually charge the batteries on the day of the show to make sure they are fresh. Every season I buy a fresh set of batteries and I use the old one for other stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com