Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Old school question--Sony WM-Dx  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Old school question--Sony WM-Dx
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »
Way back in the day I used to do some taping with a Sony WM-D3 (portable analog cassette tape).  I have a question that isn't terribly important, but it's bugged for so many years that I need to know the answer.  What in the world was the difference between the WM-D3 and the WM-D6?  If anybody knows, I will be forever grateful.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

hexyjones

Re: Old school question--Sony WM-Dx
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
Way back in the day I used to do some taping with a Sony WM-D3 (portable analog cassette tape).  I have a question that isn't terribly important, but it's bugged for so many years that I need to know the answer.  What in the world was the difference between the WM-D3 and the WM-D6?  If anybody knows, I will be forever grateful.

The D3 was much smaller and had only a 3? segment meter...

The D6 was larger, more robust, better meters, better electronics...and sported Dolby C on later models...(might be wrong on that one)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 03:46:34 PM »
I used a D3 briefly. Broke after just a few uses. But from what I remember it sounded pretty good.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:22:38 PM »
the D6 had B&C NR on later models. it sounded awsome. the D3 was the little brother of the D6 IMHO. even though the D6 came out before it is still used today as it brings great sound.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I used a D3 for a bit, and when it worked it sounded great.  Looking back, I now realize it's problem was that the azimuth fell out of adjustment real easily.  I had taken it in for repair, they fixed it, but a short time later it fell out of adjustment again.  It ticked me off enough that I just threw it in the trash.  Now I wish I didn't do that, because then I would have a way to recover my ill-recorded tapes.  But yeah, when it worked it sounded pretty sweet for a cassette tape.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com