Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 124093 times)

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
Also, can anyone tell me what the pre-emphasis would be used for or what it does? I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this.

I didn't understand what pre-emphasis was either when I ordered my IPAs a year ago, so I asked Jon about it via email before ordering. He is good enough about responding to questions via email, but he makes no attempt to explain things at a lower level to people who aren't audio tech-heads, so his answers often just go way over my head anyway. His response about pre-emphasis didn't explain what it was, and was something to the effect of 'if you don't understand what it is, then you don't want to order it'.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
Also, can anyone tell me what the pre-emphasis would be used for or what it does? I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this.

I didn't understand what pre-emphasis was either when I ordered my IPAs a year ago, so I asked Jon about it via email before ordering. He is good enough about responding to questions via email, but he makes no attempt to explain things at a lower level to people who aren't audio tech-heads, so his answers often just go way over my head anyway. His response about pre-emphasis didn't explain what it was, and was something to the effect of 'if you don't understand what it is, then you don't want to order it'.

Not sure if this applies, but in analog recording, certain processes (vinyl, tape) were known to not be flat. Pre emphasis was an attempt to mitigate that by boosting frequencies that weren't reproduced well during recording, then applying the opposite curve to the signal when playing back.

Kinda think that's it, maybe?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
Jon sometimes answers my emails and sometimes he doesn't. So, I thought I'd check in here first.

It looks like there is a variable option that is changeable through a slot or a spindle. While options are nice, I was hoping to just have a one size fits all in-place gain setting for my needs.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I've read that several members have had some of their recordings with the medium setting on their Tinyboxes ruined. That's one of the reasons I use low on my Tinybox. I just can't remember what the low gain setting was on my Tinybox and Jon didn't write it on the invoice notes.

That's why I'm curious.

It sounds like I wouldn't need the pre-emphasis. Thanks for that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:52:43 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Jon sometimes answers my emails and sometimes he doesn't. So, I thought I'd check in here first.

It looks like there is a variable option that is changeable through a slot or a spindle. While options are nice, I was hoping to just have a one size fits all in-place gain setting for my needs.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I've read that several members have had some of their recordings with the medium setting on their Tinyboxes ruined. That's one of the reasons I use low on my Tinybox. I just can't remember what the low gain setting was on my Tinybox and Jon didn't write it on the invoice notes.

That's why I'm curious.

It sounds like I wouldn't need the pre-emphasis. Thanks for that.
unless you ordered a specific gain setting, the specs are listed on his site
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »

That's why I'm curious.
unless you ordered a specific gain setting, the specs are listed on his site

Thanks.

I didn't even consider looking under discontinued products on the Naiant site. I don't think I would have altered his gain settings, so it looks like +4, +18 and +32. I also am sporting the 1.5 version according to the dates under his version history.He did convert my Tinybox battery last year to the NiMH and at the same time converted the 4-pin binder input to a TA6M. But that isn't really part of this topic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:02:44 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »
IPA and PFA's arrived today, and look awesome.

Ordered 5/4. Understand it's a pita to move, but better communication would have made the wait less weird.  :shrug:

Recordings at LMA

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2019, 12:47:07 AM »
i am apparently in the same boat. i ordered my IPA for my VMLinks on 10/25/18 and no word at all. a "yes" i will build it eventually would be *moderately* comforting.  :shrug:

i can be patient i just like to know its gonna come eventually and a ballpark ETA. i guess almost 4 months for yours....i'm in month 3.....

UPDATE - just heard back, shipping soon, all is well. just got nervous...and very interested to hear this setup. THANKS JON.

Ordered 5/4. Understand it's a pita to move, but better communication would have made the wait less weird.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:57:28 PM by ninjadave »
Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »
i am apparently in the same boat. i ordered my IPA for my VMLinks on 10/25/18 and no word at all. a "yes" i will build it eventually would be *moderately* comforting.  :shrug:

i can be patient i just like to know its gonna come eventually and a ballpark ETA. i guess almost 4 months for yours....i'm in month 3.....

UPDATE - just heard back, shipping soon, all is well. just got nervous...and very interested to hear this setup. THANKS JON.

Thanks for sharing your story. I purchased one mid November and I know that this hobby of ours can take time for a one person show to fulfill all orders. Haven't heard anything about my order since I was told it's a one month build time and I have recently moved and just wanted to make sure they got my new address. Stressing out a bit over it. But I hope to see it soon and use it!
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
Been playing with the idea of putting an IPA in a more low profile housing.
There's not a whole lot in the case, and it could easily fit into a short length of 1/2" or 3/4" pvc pipe, and not set off walkthroughs.
Also considering midifying an usb external battery case, the 'lipstick' style ones look about right. Could maybe make a binder plug to usb A jack cable and a micro usb to 1/8" TRS cable. Then I could just toss it into the pass through with my phone.

Thoughts?

Recordings at LMA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »
There's not a whole lot in the case, and it could easily fit into a short length of 1/2" or 3/4" pvc pipe, and not set off walkthroughs.
Also considering midifying an usb external battery case, the 'lipstick' style ones look about right. Could maybe make a binder plug to usb A jack cable and a micro usb to 1/8" TRS cable. Then I could just toss it into the pass through with my phone.

Thoughts?
would love to see it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2019, 05:09:51 AM »

Like this?  >:D >:D >:D  :cheers:

However, what I'd really like to do is replace the A23 battery with something more powerful and rechargeable.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
Like this?  >:D >:D >:D  :cheers:

However, what I'd really like to do is replace the A23 battery with something more powerful and rechargeable.
um, yes  :smash:
or maybe in a battery case...

Recordings at LMA

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
There was a guy who used an altoids case as a housing.  do a search on here in yardsale.  It was novel.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
Would love to see an IPA in a smaller housing that is plastic. Not to mention a rechargeable battery.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »
There was a guy who used an altoids case as a housing.  do a search on here in yardsale.  It was novel.

Here's the directions and info for using the Altoids tin to make a mic preamp.

http://www.subatomicglue.com/mintymic/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com