Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does JK labs dvc need an a/d to go with it?  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
Does JK labs dvc need an a/d to go with it?
« on: February 08, 2005, 07:52:02 PM »
from how i understand it the dvc serves as a replacement for the mic bodies and as a preamp but i would still need to use another a/d if i go this route. is that correct? how would you rank these options? dvc > ad20 > jb3, dvc > jb3, dvc > ua5 > jb3. i'm thinking the dvc > ad20 > jb3 would be the best, but is an additional a/d even needed? is the ad20 superior to the a/d in the ua5? thanks guys :)
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Does JK labs dvc need an a/d to go with it?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 01:54:54 AM »
Well, both the UA5 and AD20 are pres+A/D converters in one, so running either behind the JK Labs box you'll be going through 2 gain stages.

I'd recommend either a mod or stock SBM, or maybe a Graham Patten ADC20.

Just my $.02...

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:55:57 AM »
can't you get the jk labs box without gain or with switchable gain?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 05:07:09 AM »
can't you get the jk labs box without gain or with switchable gain?

you can. i was at one point gonna get one that basically just used the v3 phantom to power the box,a dn it had no gain/preamp

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 06:36:29 AM »
how would you rank these options? dvc > ad20 > jb3, dvc > jb3, dvc > ua5 > jb3.

My preference:

[1]  DVC (no preamp) > UA5 > JB3
[2]  DVC (no preamp) > AD20 > JB3
[3]  DVC (w/ preamp) > JB3
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 06:38:00 AM »
i would say mine would be exactly the same as Skalinders prefs

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 12:44:35 PM »
Well, both the UA5 and AD20 are pres+A/D converters in one, so running either behind the JK Labs box you'll be going through 2 gain stages.

Anytime you go through 2 boxes, you will go through two gain stages.  It doesn't matter if the box is labelled a preamp or an A/D, either will still have pretty much the same basic design of a gain stage, the preamp box will just allow for greater gain.  I and others have covered this concept very thoroughly numerous times, do a search for more info.

So it really doesn't matter that the UA5 and AD20 are pres+A/D's in one.  The bigger issue is how much minimum gain you will have from the two boxes you're using and whether that will be too much for your needs.  I've found I've usually needed about 30db+/-5db of gain total.  The AD20 has a minimum gain of 17db IIRC, so hopefully the DVC would have a gain setting of 10db or less at a minimum, otherwise I wouldn't use it with the AD20.  The UA5 allows for 0db gain I believe, so that would be fine.

I would agree with Brian's ranking, but I don't know if I'd agree with the parenthetical comment about DVC with no preamp for the first two options.  You will need to go through an additional gain stage no matter what if you use the UA5 (or any external box), but many gain stages sound better at low levels of gain and not as good at higher levels of gain.  It may be that the DVC has a better sounding gain structure than the UA5, in which case, I'd choose DVC (with preamp)>UA5 over DVC (no gain)>UA5.  (I haven't heard enough of the DVC box to comment, but based on the quality of Jon's work, I'd bet that the gain in the DVC sounds better than the UA5 or esp the AD20.)

Of course, all this is assuming you're talking about one of the JKLabs DVC boxes that allows adjustable gain starting at 0db.  I'm not sure of his design, but I'd imagine that even at 0db gain in an adjustable DVC, you'd be going through the gain stage.  So you'd have two total gain stages if you went DVC>UA5 (whether or not you had the DVC set to 0db gain).  If you knew you'd never want gain from the jklabs box (as I did), you could get the ECMS-22 box that has no gain stage.  Run the ECMS-22 into the UA5 (or V3, or MME, or AD20) and you'd only have one total gain stage.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 09:44:30 PM »
at this point i'm leaning towards wanting something i could stealth a bit with as well which would also limit my options. i was originally going to go with the mod 460s but am seeing that i would use the stealthliness of the ck6xs > dvc more and more.  i'm thinking it would have to be dvc (w/ pre) > sbm1 or dvd (pre) > ad20 or something similar for it to work as a stealth setup. would there be a huge difference between the sbm and ad20? all of the mods on the sbm get me lost at times as well.

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »
I know JK was *considering* making a unit with an a/d in it a while ago.... told him I would love to be a guinea pig... have never heard back, although that does not mean he is not working on such a unit.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 04:12:49 PM »
i'd also say that the adc in the jb3, from what skalinder says, is pretty darn good all things considered

For most people, the JB3 ADC is indistinguishable or even preferable to the well-respected stealthing M1/D100 ADC.  IMO, that makes it pretty darn good - again, for most people - all things considering.  But you shouldn't take my word for it, you should listen to the comp yourself!
Roland R-05

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:49:36 AM »
is that still posted somewhere, it'd be handy to have on hand.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 03:16:16 AM »
is that still posted somewhere, it'd be handy to have on hand.

I last seeded on www.easytree.org under the handle "thirdofthree".  Dunno if the seed is still running at home - if so, grab it.  If not, ask around on here if someone can reseed as I'm unable for quite some time due to work travel.
Roland R-05

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 03:42:54 AM »
will do, i'll look for it, if i don't see it, its not a big deal.  i really should have grabbed it long ago.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 08:07:56 PM »
jon said a unit with a pre and 24/96 adc in under development, but nothing yet

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »
he was at one point looking at modifying a AD20 to use its ADC with his own preamp...dont know what came of that project

the water's clean and innocent

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 05:34:19 PM »
he was at one point looking at modifying a AD20 to use its ADC with his own preamp...dont know what came of that project
he will now mod an ad20 to work with active cables for about $350. it still uses the ad20 pre/ad though

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com