Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 Ventilation  (Read 2589 times)

Offline okietaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
UA5 Ventilation
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:16:17 PM »
I am trying to adapt a laptop carry bag  to tote my gear in and I has some questions about the UA5 concerning its ventilation requirements.  I read the manual and it advises that ubder normal circumstances the UA5 will get warm after several hours of use.  I have not used mine for more than three hours at a time up to this point so I have no experience with this at this time.  How warm can they really get.  My laptop bag has plenty of space for the UA5 but the my lappy sit in there it will be sitting basically on top of the UA5 with a pad in between the two.  Lappy will be vented properly, but the UA5 will have access to minimal ventilation at best.  Is this OK or should I look to get it more ventilation?

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: UA5 Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 10:22:03 PM »
Don't think they need much.  Mine is covered on all sides except for the top.

-Kevin

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:13:51 PM »
You have no problem running that way for more than six hours non-stop?

Cary

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:38:50 PM »
I've got mine in a sonicase, so it's even more wedged in than that, and I've never had any problems, even all day at fests last summer.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 11:48:59 PM »
Don't ever remembering running it for more than a couple hours at a time, but I've run it multiple times a day during Bumbershoot...in the sun....no issues.  Only heat related problem I've ever had was with my JB3.  Those definately need some ventilation.  I'm not sure how some people are stealthing with them......rambling......

-Kevin

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: monitor setting, line levels, level meters (was Ventilation)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 12:33:21 AM »
Don't think they need much.  Mine is covered on all sides except for the top.

-Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Nice pic.  But I just noticed your "Input monitor" setting is at full.  This should be turned down, right?  At least it is turned down on my self-mod UA5.  According to dklein, monitor on adds another, very slightly delayed, signal to the output of the UA5.

By the way, does line out on the UA5 depend on the main output volume?  I think it does but I'm not sure.  I was trying to use a minidisc in pause record as a level meter.  Actually I'm using the remote (RM-40 something) since it shows rec levels and has a nice backlight.  I plug the minidisc into the UA5 line out and set the record level on the MD to 20/30.  Seems to work.

Richard

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: monitor setting, line levels, level meters (was Ventilation)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:57:53 AM »

Dear Kevin,

Nice pic.  But I just noticed your "Input monitor" setting is at full.  This should be turned down, right?  At least it is turned down on my self-mod UA5.  According to dklein, monitor on adds another, very slightly delayed, signal to the output of the UA5.

By the way, does line out on the UA5 depend on the main output volume?  I think it does but I'm not sure.  I was trying to use a minidisc in pause record as a level meter.  Actually I'm using the remote (RM-40 something) since it shows rec levels and has a nice backlight.  I plug the minidisc into the UA5 line out and set the record level on the MD to 20/30.  Seems to work.

Richard

The monitor volume only matters if the monitor switch is turned on, and only affects the analog outs.

Main volume knob affects the signal on all analog outs (rca, 1/4" and headphone)

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com