Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...  (Read 9999 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 01:02:01 AM »
After I discarded the Church rig, I went on The Dime and dl'ed 100 great audience shows.  I made a list of the microphones used on each. 

Neumans and Schoeps were consistently great sounding. 

The Schoeps ended up being my choice simply because I knew some local tapers who swore by them.  Yeah, they're a little warm, but the capsule and active and NBox part make it a nice stealth rig. 

Use the same mikes, actives and preamp for your open air rig.  All you need is a stand, bars, clamps and you're good to go. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
What did your dad tape with? If he liked those tapes, why not get those mics. Microphones havent changed that much except for digital mics which are out of your budget anyway.

Dad taped the vast majority of his shows with a pair of Nak 300s into a Marantz deck (forget the model number off the top of my head...very well known).
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
And what is that Telefunken device he is selling? Is that a preamp?
The Telefunken box is a power supply that goes with the mics as a set. They are vacuum  tube mics so require a special power supply.

I see. Thanks!
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »
MBHO.....???

I am totally unfamiliar I guess. Compares to Schoeps and Neumann?

How would these mics do with a Grace V3?

i have a bunch of mbho cards > v3 tapes on the archive. one of my fav rigs ive ever ran or owned.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-04-01.mbho

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-05-19.mbho.flac16

I am really impressed by those recordings.

On your source info: "mbho ka200/603a > MiAGi-II's > v3 > jb3 @ 48k"

So you used the 200 caps? What is the 603a?
MiAGi-II's....are those cables I guess?

And are you using the digital or the analog in on the V3?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »
To answer your above questions. Yes the 200 is the cap (cardioid), the 603a is the body. In that setup, the capsule is separated from the body by a cable. The V3 is a preamp and A/D converter. The JB3 is the recorder. Per the description it is likely an optical toslink digital output from the V3 to the JB3. That recorder is no longer available and was limited to 16bits.

Is there something that you guys didn't like about the Nak 300s or did you just want to try something new?

If you want a small footprint that could be used both stealth and open, Schoeps and DPA are about as small as it gets. Both now have ways to do interchangeable capsules if you want different options. Other options include AKG and Microtech Geffell capsules with custom active cables as well as the MBHOs.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 03:58:57 PM »
After I discarded the Church rig, I went on The Dime and dl'ed 100 great audience shows.  I made a list of the microphones used on each. 

Neumans and Schoeps were consistently great sounding. 

The Schoeps ended up being my choice simply because I knew some local tapers who swore by them.  Yeah, they're a little warm, but the capsule and active and NBox part make it a nice stealth rig. 

Use the same mikes, actives and preamp for your open air rig.  All you need is a stand, bars, clamps and you're good to go.

If you want to hear the Schoeps MK4 or 41 with NBox rig there are dozens of recording by Scooter123 and myself on Dime and Planet Rock.  I think my Wetransfer links from Mudcrutch are still live in the Kickdown Central thread.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »
MBHO.....???

I am totally unfamiliar I guess. Compares to Schoeps and Neumann?

How would these mics do with a Grace V3?

i have a bunch of mbho cards > v3 tapes on the archive. one of my fav rigs ive ever ran or owned.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-04-01.mbho

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-05-19.mbho.flac16

I am really impressed by those recordings.

On your source info: "mbho ka200/603a > MiAGi-II's > v3 > jb3 @ 48k"

So you used the 200 caps? What is the 603a?
MiAGi-II's....are those cables I guess?

And are you using the digital or the analog in on the V3?

John pretty much nailed all your questions about my setup in those recordings

Pfa's and ipa's werent around then. Full bodies was about the only way to go. Besides the nbox there were only a few jk labs actives boxes around then.

The miagi -II's were maybe the first silver xlr cables being made by a member here. Sometimes they are referred to as bummblebee miagi II's as they were yellow and black

The member that made them has long since disappeared

The v3 was the preamp and fed the mbhos with phantom power. It was an optical mod v3 and the jb3 took an optical input.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
What did your dad tape with? If he liked those tapes, why not get those mics. Microphones havent changed that much except for digital mics which are out of your budget anyway.

Dad taped the vast majority of his shows with a pair of Nak 300s into a Marantz deck (forget the model number off the top of my head...very well known).
No doubt the PMD-430.

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

No doubt the PMD-430.

Bingo!!!

I remember stealing it from my dad's taping gear and found a Dead tape and listened to Dire Wolf like 1,000 when I was like 10 years old. Those were the days....  ;D

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »
If I had to do it all over again I would go:
MK41v>Nbob Cables>PFA>Oade modded 661 with a n-box>m10 as stealth option
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »
If I had to do it all over again I would go:
MK41v>Nbob Cables>PFA>Oade modded 661 with a n-box>m10 as stealth option
Barrett

PFA?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 12:04:53 AM »
small things made by naiant that use phantom power to provide the correct voltage to caps in an active situation

i have some that replace the schoeps bodies and provide the 60v polarization that the bodies would provide. couple hundred bucks compared to way over a grand for the bodies

naiants new thing is the IPA. which is a smaller pfa style device that provides power to the mics and can use phantom or an internal battery. check out the ipa thread!

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 12:06:21 AM »
ipa thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.0

naiants page with ipa and pfa's

http://naiant.com/custom_audio_reproduction_equipment/inline-devices/

if you have any questions about them feel free to pm me. it took me forever to comprehend it all untill someone finally laid it out to me in a pm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:14:28 AM by caymanreview »

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
alot of the pfa's you see pictured around here just look like a full size xlr connector on the end of a set of active cables. the electronics are inside the xlr itself

i have pfa's for my schoeps setup. i love them but the new kcy ipa looks fantastic.

i second the schoeps  > nbob actives > pfa or ipa > oade mod recorder

ive ran a good portion of the gear folks around here use. im finally settled on this setup myself except i do schoeps caps > nbobs > nbox > recorder. (first time in 10+ years there wasnt an oade modded recorder and/or pre in my setup!

if your going to jump in completely, its worth the time and effort to get something youl be happy with! if you have the funds! although upgrading and slutting it up is fun in itself!

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
Ok, so lets sit the microphones aside for a moment. I am in the process of doing a big audio search through the archive to find what dad, brother, and I can all agree sounds "the best"....lol. Think we are leaning away from MBHO and towards Schoeps and Neumann.

But let's talk further down the signal path.

I know folks like the silver cables and stuff....I am cool with that.

With regards to the PFA and the like....so devices like that are only used for "active mics"? Maybe I just don't know what constitutes an active mic.

But my real question for today is about recorders.

I was looking at a Marantz PMD671 that was in the yard sale. Then I was looking at the (seemingly more current model) the PMD661MKII. And then I got off on a tangent and was looking at a Sound Devices 702.

I mean....what is the biggest different in these boxes. Type of signal output? Do these each color the sound different? Are some more transparent than others?

I am just trying to figure out how to go about this.

Should I pick my mics first? Then my recorder?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.378 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com