Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Schoeps vms02ib DC connector info needed!

(1/6) > >>

F.O.Bean:
I just talked to the old owner of my vms02ib and I mentioned being able to use radio shack adaptaplugs if I can't find a genuine Schoeps DC connector for it, and when I asked that, he said he thinks the reason one of his old vms52ub fried was because he used an M tip adaptaplug on it. But, he said that he ran it for a couple of years before it fried, which seems very odd to me.

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here on ts.com has successfully used a Radio Shack M tip adaptaplug with their vms02ib, and if so, how long have you been successfully using it?

Obviously there aren't any freakin parts for the vms02ib anymore, so I would feel much better if someone had a real Schoeps DC connector that I can buy lol ;) But like I said, if ANYONE has been using a Radio Shack adaptaplug with success for an extended period of time, please let me know 8)

Thanks in advance,
Bean

stevetoney:
Dude.  I know exactly what the deal is with the M-tip.  Call me and I'll explain.  To everyone else, DO NOT USE THE M-TIP to power your VMS.  I'll explain later when I have time.

I thought I told you yesteday that I'll be getting extra VMS tips?!?  WTF man? 

kingkita:

--- Quote from: tonedeaf on November 20, 2014, 08:43:31 AM ---Dude.  I know exactly what the deal is with the M-tip.  Call me and I'll explain.  To everyone else, DO NOT USE THE M-TIP to power your VMS.  I'll explain later when I have time.

I thought I told you yesteday that I'll be getting extra VMS tips?!?  WTF man?

--- End quote ---

Bean you have to get a special cable from schoeps they will send you the correct tip then you just get whatever end put on for what kind of battery your using.If you don't it will fry your vms.

stevetoney:
Bean I just ordered the last two from Redding, ya damn dawg.  ;)

stevetoney:
EDIT: Per Jon Bell's question below, this discussion applies to the older VMS boxes that are no longer made by Schoeps.  That would include the VMS02ib, VMS32ub, VMS42UB, and VMS52UB.  The VMS5U which is Schoeps current model is apparently reverse polarity protected, but it is also fuse protected.  While I'm not sure if the M-tip is the exact same design as the OEM supplied tip, seems that the 5U isn't subject to the damage that I experienced with mine, or at worst if issues happen, the result would be a blown fuse instead of a dead preamp.

EDIT #2:  The following applies to older Schoeps preamps that are NOT reverse polarity protected.  Per my discussion with Scott from Schoeps this am, apparently older VMS preamps have a reverse polarity protection circuit on them.  If that's the case, then the risk for damage is significantly decreased.  I have no idea how one can tell the difference between an older VMS that has no polarity protection and a newer one with reverse polarity protection.  Personally, I'd approach this conservatively and assume you don't have reverse polarity protection so you don't suffer the same fate as I did.

OK, so here's the deal with the Radio Shack tips and the VMS...

You can use an M-tip and it will work just fine, but ONLY IF you always remember to turn off your preamp before you unplug the cable from your preamp.  If you do that, you will never have a problem with the M-tip.  But that's a huge IF. 

The bottom line is, YOU ARE TAKING A HUGE RISK OF DAMAGING YOUR PREAMP IF YOU USE THE M-TIP.

The problem with using the M-tip is that it is vulnerable to shorts with the design of the socket in the VMS.  The official VMS tip has a little plastic donut or O-ring on the end of the connector.  When you pull the connector out, that donut keeps the shield terminal from momentarily contacting the power terminal, causing a short circuit as the connector passes up and out of the socket. 

The M tip is the right size for making contact with both shield and power terminals inside the socket ONCE IT'S BEEN INSERTED.  So it will power the VMS fine, but you're taking a HUGE risk of shorts if you happen to do what I did and remove the connector with a live battery connected and with the power switch still on.  If you turn the VMS off before removing the connector with the M-tip, you won't short your preamp.  That's why I was able to get away with operating my VMS with the M tip for awhile before I messed it up.  Obviously, I had no idea before I screwed it up what was about to happen, but once I started using an M tip connector it was only a matter of time before I messed up my preamp.

Having said all of the above, Scott at Redding told me this morning when I ordered the two replacement connectors that this is an issue for the earlier design VMS boxes.  Those that were sold later on have reverse polarity protection, so this shouldn't cause an issue.  Even so, I wouldn't risk using an M-tip. 

My recommendation is that if you can't find a sufficent replacement tip with that donut, just run your VMS from batteries. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version