Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97757 times)

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
Would this be a failure on the SD card that has been discussed here?  I have had 2 dropouts so far from last nights recording and 1 from Thursday night.  I am using a Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s 128gb SDXC

AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »
^ Six channels at 24/96 or 24/48?  If 24/96 it's possible that your card just couldn't keep up with write speeds needed and you experienced buffer overruns.  That's what happened with us early Tascam DR70D schmo's before Tascam 'fixed' the issue by publishing an 'approved card list' AFTER we'd already exposed the weakness in the unit.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
SD is adding support for the Sennheiser AMBEO.  I know some here are interested in this type of recording...

Quote from: Sound Devices
ATTN MixPre-6 & MixPre-10T Users: Sound Devices is collaborating with Sennheiser to offer the full spatial audio experience for virtual reality (VR) video within Sennheiser’s AMBEO for VR partnership program. With the Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-10T portable recorders and Sennheiser’s AMBEO VR Mic, VR professionals can record and monitor premium 360° spatial audio for VR video.

As an exclusive new feature to the VR partnership program, the MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T will be the first portable recorders to offer onboard AMBEO to binaural decoding. This allows VR creators to assess and make creative decisions about spatial audio content at time of capture, without needing a post-production workstation.

Sound Devices will be releasing a free firmware update for the MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T—anticipated spring 2018—that offers:

- Record AMBEO VR mic in Ambisonics A-format or B-format with support for any mic orientation (Up, Down, Endfire)
    - Stereo or Binaural headphone monitoring of AMBEO VR mic
    - Support for both AmbiX and FuMa B-format standards

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Sound Devices trailing behind Zoom yet again...

;)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Firmware v. 2.10 now out...

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

Changes introduced in 2.10 include:

New

Remix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:17:37 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
Can anyone say how the cue marks are entered?

The change list says "10M only" for embedding the cue marks ... is that a typo? What's the point of placing cue marks that won't be saved?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
Any word on pre-roll or a lock feature? I tried a search and didn't find anything so I apologize if I've missed it. I haven't really been keeping up with these threads.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
Any word on pre-roll or a lock feature? I tried a search and didn't find anything so I apologize if I've missed it. I haven't really been keeping up with these threads.

Those features, while frequently requested, have not yet been integrated into the firmware.

FWIW, I'm much more interested in a lock feature than pre roll- with essentially infinite storage space and battery life, you can start rolling as soon as you get set up.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »

Those features, while frequently requested, have not yet been integrated into the firmware.

FWIW, I'm much more interested in a lock feature than pre roll- with essentially infinite storage space and battery life, you can start rolling as soon as you get set up.

^
I think that we should all request the lock feature, again!!  If they can do it great, if they can't then please let us know and we'll stop asking for it.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
with essentially infinite storage space and battery life, you can start rolling as soon as you get set up.
This is basically what I do, and I'm using an F8 that does have the pre-record feature.  I've never found the pre-record feature necessary (though to be fair I think people recording concerts aren't who it's meant for).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline wlp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
Cue marks are entered by tapping the Q in the top middle section of the screen (on the Mixpre 6) and are saved to the file.  I had to read the instruction manual included with the firmware update to figure this out (along with the Remix function) after spending several days trying to figure out why nothing happened when I tapped the big Q on the screen. 

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:36 PM »
with essentially infinite storage space and battery life, you can start rolling as soon as you get set up.
This is basically what I do, and I'm using an F8 that does have the pre-record feature.  I've never found the pre-record feature necessary (though to be fair I think people recording concerts aren't who it's meant for).

I personally don't like having to trim down files or put together 2 files to recreate a song. I'd much rather just hit record as the house lights go down or the band walks on stage. There have been times when I cut it close but that feature saved me on the 744t.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
As long as we're talking about things we'd like to see, I'd prefer that the ISO tracks were given priority in the menu scheme over the LR mixdown tracks.  Maybe I could fix this with my pre-sets, but it seems like I'm constantly going back into the menu to disable the LR tracks, which I personally have absolutely no use for, and enabling my ISO tracks. 

I owned a Zoom F8 before the MixPre and although I love the sound of the Mixpre, the menu's on the F8 were a million times better than the screwball interface on the Mixpre series.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:22:02 PM by fanofjam »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
As long as we're talking about things we'd like to see, I'd prefer that the ISO tracks were given priority in the menu scheme over the LR mixdown tracks.  Maybe I could fix this with my pre-sets, but it seems like I'm constantly going back into the menu to disable the LR tracks, which I personally have absolutely no use for, and enabling my ISO tracks. 

I owned a Zoom F8 before the MixPre and although I love the sound of the Mixpre, the menu's on the F8 were a million times better than the screwball interface on the Mixpre series.

I set my presets, but never use them. The MixPre holds my settings and I have it set to disable the L/R mix and use the front ISO knobs for gain not faders. You should not have to make changes each time.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »

I have no problem with settings like having L/R off changing on me but I agree completely about focusing on ISOs. They made some really strange design choices with the Mixpre's. Despite advertising it as a recorder, it's really a mixer in my opinion.  The Zooms are much more straight forward for a recorder interface wise...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:38:55 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com