Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pyro damaged capsule  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Pyro damaged capsule
« on: October 31, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »
I taped Kiss a couple of weeks ago and the pyro at the start destroyed the bottom end of my AT-853 subcard(!!) cap on the left channel.... of course it would be the subcards, the ones that are impossible to find   :angry3:

Sample here, and there's some from the latter part of the show tagged on the end with little bass in the left (I'd adjusted the levels part way though, so that bit is louder). If you isolate the left channel you can hear a lot of defects in the first part after the explosions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqjpv5irca6c197/Pyro.flac?dl=0

Location was here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec9-gOc9msQ

I guess this is totally un-repairable? I did a test on my stereo switching the caps over, and same thin result.

The other 2 rigs I ran had no problems.

Online DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pyro damaged capsule
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
Capsule repairs can be far more demanding skill-wise and test-equipment-wise than most repairs to the purely electronic part of a microphone. Some manufacturers draw a line between those two points, and make capsule repairs only at the factory (i.e. overseas in this case). Others won't repair a capsule at all, and expect the user to pay for a complete replacement in case of damage.

The only reliable answer in your situation would be the one from Audio-Technica. Assuming you're in the United States or Canada, you could write to them at repair@atus.com, or call them at (686) 330-2600.

I hope the news is favorable to you. Please let us know, OK?

--best regards

music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Pyro damaged capsule
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »
I purchased the caps from ATUS, I will send an email. Thanks for the info.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com