Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii  (Read 46090 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
According to this link, the micro usb has a rated life cycle of 10,000 insertions compared to 5,000 for the mini usb.  The micro has a tighter fit than the mini which I think is a positive from the standpoint of making a secure connection with an external battery that isn't as likely to disconnect by accident. 

A micro usb to usb cable came with my Ravpower battery, but since I'm using the 60d, I gave the cable to my wife for her tablet. 

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
According to this link, the micro usb has a rated life cycle of 10,000 insertions compared to 5,000 for the mini usb.  The micro has a tighter fit than the mini which I think is a positive from the standpoint of making a secure connection with an external battery that isn't as likely to disconnect by accident. 

A micro usb to usb cable came with my Ravpower battery, but since I'm using the 60d, I gave the cable to my wife for her tablet. 

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb
that cable that came with it you need for charging don't forget
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
Ran my DR-60D for the second time last night. I still need to spend more time with it to be sure of all the menu options. Running AKG 480/CK63 straight into channels 1 & 2. I'm very happy with the results.

I did have an issue last night - I had put in a new SD card and when I powered it up, it asked if I wanted to format it. No problem - happy to have the reminder. But then I wasn't getting any signal from my mics. Checked all the connections, phantom power was still on from the last time I ran the deck... Hmmm...  I finally turn phantom power off and back on and the deck asks me to confirm I want phantom power on. Confirm and everything okay. Not sure if the new SD card caused an issue with not getting the confirm when I first powered up or what. Has anyone seen this?

My two recordings:
https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-10-21.akg483.flac16
https://archive.org/details/ttb2014-12-12.akg483.flac16
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
the manual strongly cautions to be sure the mics are connected before engaging phantom power.  I suspect it forces us to confirm turning on phantom power as a safety feature. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
Not sure what you mean. I understand that and the mics were connected before I turned the deck on. But it never asked me to confirm that wanted Phantom power on, just if I wanted to format the SD card. 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline willndmb

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 08:50:14 PM »
It will ask to confirm phantom every time you turn it on
Not sure about the card but if you do a full format it takes a while, so be sure to do it in advance.
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
Right, I didn't get the confirmation about phantom power until I turned it off and on again. 

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline trubbaman

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »
I don't know where I saw it, possibly in the manual, but I've seen a caution that you should turn off the phantom power before powering down the unit, and then turn the phantom power back on after it is powered up and the mics attached.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 (cards, omnis, sub cards, hypers); Church CA-11 cards, CA-14 omni
Pre: Church CA-9100
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D, Sony PCM-M10
LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Mike.Fickel%22
Archivist for Jon Dee Graham

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I've only run it twice, but I'm very happy with the sound running straight into the recorder and don't envision using my pre-amp (Littlebox v1). Does anyone have thoughts about running this pre-amp in front of the DR-60D? I have a feeling it is going to collect dust in my gear box.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
A couple of members said they didn't feel the need for an external preamp back in the first installment of the 60d thread.

I haven't tried an external preamp for comparison yet, but suspect it wouldn't be worth messing with. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Right, I recall that which was how I chose to run without a pre the initial runs. I'm very happy with how they came out, but am open to thoughts about a Littlebox in front of it, even though that means more gear in my bag.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline willndmb

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
I dropped my lb just because I wanted smaller and lighter and found the sound to be only slightly different with no real pref one way or the other in overall sound.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »
I dropped my lb just because I wanted smaller and lighter and found the sound to be only slightly different with no real pref one way or the other in overall sound.

Yes, I like having a lighter gear bag.

Link to LMA Recordings

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »

So I've taken my DR60d out for a few runs and I have to report I'm really happy with it. Been using the on board preamps and I'm totally satisfied with the sound. The battery life had me worried at first but I haven't been let down since I picked up a cheap 5V at a local store. On one outing it drained the external and switched over to the rechargeable AAs without a hitch and I was able to finish up the show.

Only thing that has me worried is that it's been quirky on playback. It freezes up and has been a little glitchy. Anyone else having any problems out of it?
Otherwise no issues whatsoever.

Here's one that turned out well despite having every thing working against me...tiny bar, band spread way out, packed house, nowhere to put the stand so I had to gaff tape to a column off center...

https://archive.org/details/vitamenA2014-11-27.flac16.shanti.ADK

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline willndmb

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »

So I've taken my DR60d out for a few runs and I have to report I'm really happy with it. Been using the on board preamps and I'm totally satisfied with the sound. The battery life had me worried at first but I haven't been let down since I picked up a cheap 5V at a local store. On one outing it drained the external and switched over to the rechargeable AAs without a hitch and I was able to finish up the show.

Only thing that has me worried is that it's been quirky on playback. It freezes up and has been a little glitchy. Anyone else having any problems out of it?
Otherwise no issues whatsoever.

Here's one that turned out well despite having every thing working against me...tiny bar, band spread way out, packed house, nowhere to put the stand so I had to gaff tape to a column off center...

https://archive.org/details/vitamenA2014-11-27.flac16.shanti.ADK
never played back more then like 30 sec myself.
When you say freezes does it unfreeze or do you have to remove power to shut it down or what happens/how do you fix it?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com