Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/96 Failure!??  (Read 10953 times)

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
24/96 Failure!??
« on: October 13, 2003, 10:17:18 AM »
Hey all-

Tried to run my UA5->laptop this past weekend and FAILED.  Everything was working perfectly for Kaki King and the first half of Gordon.  In the MIDDLE of Gordon's set I lost levels completly for what seemed like no reason... batteries were good, all settings were correct, all cables were properly connected.  

When I tried to start recording again (wavelabs) I got an error message that was something like this:  The audio card is not equipped to support the current bit rate and/or sample rate.  Check to make sure the audio card is not in slave or autosync mode.

WTF?!  Anyone else had this happen to them?

AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

DaryanLenz

Re:24/96 Failure!??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 10:25:35 AM »
It sounds like a driver failure to me, and the only thing that should have helped would be to restart.  Did you try that and see?  Were you running dat backip?  Also, are you using the MOST current driver edirol has out there or just the strdard driver that windows xp installs for it?  I would check these things and then try running tests at home in front of a sound source.  You are more than welcome to bring your stuff over and tape my speakers for hours on end to get this whole thing worked out.

Daryan

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 11:01:33 AM »
bummer!!!!!!!!!
sorry to hear
the show is over go home please.

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 11:32:12 AM »
D- I installed the drivers that came with the UA5 on cd.  There were different drivers for each OS.  

Of course I tried to restart the comp.  This was the first thing that I tired.  I also checked to see if the UA5 was functioning properly thru the control panel.  The computer was telling me that the UA5 was working but wavelabs all of a sudden decided it was not capable of sending 24/96.  

I also tried switching it to 16/44.1 and wavelabs  gave the same error message.  

I took everything apart and put it back together, rebooted and still got the same error message.  Totally baffeling!!!  Every other problem has been something fairly simple, but this is strange.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 11:38:21 AM »
I would uninstall all drivers that are on there, and get the updated drivers from edirol...I assume they have updated them anyway.  Then, reconfigure everything and see if it becomes stable.  As I said, I can start your gear at my house and run music through the computer for hours on end to test it all out.  How was the show anyway?

daryan

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 12:21:29 PM »
D- Thanks for the offer to help.....but I would perfer to fix it myself.  I am not at all trying to be rude, I apprecitate your help, but it does not help me when you take my computer and start pushing buttons.  I have no idea what you are doing therefore I learn nothing.  If I am going to run this laptop rig I need to learn how to troubleshoot and fix my machine.  Getting advice from others will help me learn, but just turning it over to someone else won't help me become more computer literate.

I will try to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them.  If there is an updated version...ie newer than the cd they sent me I will try installing that driver instead.  Thanks for the feedback!!!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 12:38:16 PM »
I really do think it was most likely a driver failure issue!

Daryan

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 12:51:03 PM »
I have had problems with the drivers before....the computer always told me that the drivers weren't functioning properly and that I needed to reinstall them.  This was not the case on Friday, but I will still try to reinstall.  

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 01:03:23 PM »
that's weird that it would crap out right in the middle of something...did you check and make sure that the ua5 was still selected as the sound card?  ya know, i think the problem is that 24/96 is not stable over usb, as has been debated before.  perhaps the rig (i say that as i am not sure whether to specify drivers/recording software/hardware) just had enough of trying to take the 24/96 signal and just shit the bed.
becky, do extensive testing at home at 24/96, let it run for at least 2 hrs, and then repeat a few times!!! see if you get any dropouts or similar problems as this.
also, did you follow the advice i posted about setting up a laptop?  it should in the archival section...anyways, those steps should help eliminate any other factors from causing disruptions in recording, ie. unwanted services taking up resources, etc.
i don't know too much about the buffer settings in wavelab (that's what you're using, correct?) but you may try playing with those and definitely post results of any and all tests so we can keep track of what you've done and what is left to try out.  overall, good luck!!!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 01:37:34 PM »
Becky, have you tried 24/48?  There isn't a whole lot of difference between 96 and 48 at 24 bit!

Daryan

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 02:10:27 PM »
Becky, have you tried 24/48?  There isn't a whole lot of difference between 96 and 48 at 24 bit!

Daryan

Well except for a much larger file :P
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 02:17:41 PM »

Daryan
yes, do try it at 24/48 also if the problems persist at 24/96, i bet it will work fine in that scenario, thus proving my theory correct about 96khz being unreliabe over usb, and securing my position as the smartest man in the universe!!!  :o
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

DaryanLenz

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 02:51:06 PM »
Can anyone actually HEAR the difference between 48 and 96 at 24 bit.  Simp, you are definately about to take over the world.

daryan

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 03:12:27 PM »
Can anyone actually HEAR the difference between 48 and 96 at 24 bit.  Simp, you are definately about to take over the world.

daryan

Well I dare say there is a difference. Other wise why would it exist. But by saying can anyone hear the difference may not be the right way to phrase that. SOme would have you believe that MD is as good as DAT because they can't hear the difference. We of course know better.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2003, 03:24:51 PM »
Guys....I tried changing the sample rates....it didn't make a difference.  All of the settings were also correct.  what I mean by this is:  UA5 was properly selected as the soundcard, all settings on the UA5 were correct, all setting in wavelabs were correct.  Perhaps another function was using up some of my resources causing the programs to screw up.  I have some ideas that I will test, of course I will post my findings.  Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com