Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/96 problem  (Read 5019 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
24/96 problem
« on: November 10, 2003, 10:00:37 PM »
on sat night i ran v3@24/96>digiset>fujitsu p2120 laptop.  just listened to the recording and it has these bits of crackle throughout the recording.  sucks ass.  so i just ran some informal tests in my living room with different bit rates/sample rates.

16/44: no crackle
16/48: no crackle
24/44: no crackle
24/48: no crackle

24/88.2: a little crackle
16/96: only a very little crackle
24/96: fair amount of crackle

is this a memory issue?  i only have 256mb ram and i can expand to 384.  will it be eliminated if i run win2k instead of xp pro?  or is this a hard drive issue (not enough rpm)?  i don't know the HD specs.

i was originally running with windows optimized for background processes.  when i switched to optimized for programs, it seemed to get better, but not eliminated.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re:24/96 problem
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 07:25:46 AM »
The crackle is most likley caused by system bus traffic. You need to make sure all unneeded programs and services are turned off. Search the archives as the link to turning off servcies has been posted before. There should not be a big difference in running XP pro over win2k. But both have a TON of extra services running needlessly in the back ground.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 12:26:38 PM »
thanks...i figured that was most likely...bill gates is a pain in the ass.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »
ya know...i hear crackles sometimes in my 24/48 recordings when i play them back through my usbpre...this is not exactly related to your problem because the usbpre truncates to 16bit for playback as it does not have 24bit d/a convertors...however...
my question for you is how were you listening?  straight off the pc?  i imagine since the lower bit/sample rates did not have the snap crackle pop then it is just a problem with your pc being able to handle playback of those files.  i agree with what rrobar said about disabling services...have you tried burning these onto a dvd-a and listening like that?  i bet you won't have that problem.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 02:31:53 PM »
i haven't gone that far...i thought that could be an issue, but i listened both on the laptop through headphones.  then i transferred to my main pc and played them digitally out of wavelab to my stereo and the crackling is still present.  i've never had that problem playing 24/96 files that way before.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com