Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfer Problems -- Odd noise?  (Read 9136 times)

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Transfer Problems -- Odd noise?
« on: November 16, 2003, 02:42:56 AM »
As if my frustration wasn't enough, I accidentaly erased this whole message right before posting it.  

:angry2:

Anyway:

* I'm having errors when converting through my UA5.  Happens on all 3 Macs I have, so it's not just one machine.  All are using similar drivers, all from the official Edirol website.

* I'm going D7 > Pro dig cable > coax in.  I've tried analog in, same thing.  Happens at different points throughout the tape, so it's not on the actual tape.  When I monitor it as it's coming in it's clean.  It obviously happens while being written to disc.

* I've tried Peak, Spark, and Digital Performer.  Same results.  I've maxed out the buffer, etc.  Same thing.

* Edirol technical support... this is a whole 'nother issue.  After submitting a support ticket and waiting a week and a half with no response, I called and after an hour of phone tag, finally got through.  Their suggestion?  "Use a Windows machine (laughing).  If that doesn't help, I guess if we have time we can see if our repair guy can work with it".  :clapping:  :censored:

Sample of what's happening:  http://www.209productions.com/sample.mp3   That's from the OAR 11/2/03 SR77+SBD>Delay matrix.

Any suggestions?  New USB cable?  Maybe actually using that little magnet thing that came with it?  Sigh.

Very frustrated!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Transfer Problems -- Odd noise?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 07:51:55 AM »
if youd like, i might know how to get a copy of wavelab and samplitude for ya ;)lemme know, hit me with a PM if interested 8)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 07:54:19 AM »
soundz like a cable issue to me, maybe yer digicable fromthe 7-pin??? def sounds like a digicable issue, or bad heads........

anyone else??
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 09:48:47 AM »
Obviously, the culprit is OAR.   Have you tried transferring something else?  ;)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 04:55:45 PM »
Did the optical > HD24 work?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 06:30:11 PM »
I haven't found an optical cable yet.. I'm guessing that'll be my next thing.

I have the DAT's packaged up to get over to you..  I just have to call Airborne and have them come get 'em.  

:(

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 08:00:36 PM »
sounds like interference a new cable might fix.  that sounds like what happens when a cell phone rings near speakers...

1. i'd try a different USB cable.  

2. what are you doing on the machines when transferring?  is networking on?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 02:59:19 AM »
I'll pick up a new USB cable tomorow and see if that helps..  

As far as what's going on with the machines...  Nothing else is running other than the transfer program at the time.  Networking is enabled, and everything is ran by Airport here.  Could the wireless signals be posing a problem?  I'll also try turning off the Airport feature in the machine I try it on next.

Either way a new cable is a pretty cheap hope for a new fix.. and if nothing else, who doesn't need an extra USB cable laying around? :)

Thanks for the reply Scott, +T, I'll be sure to post if your fix helped..

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 07:33:06 AM »
yeah, it's possible it's a combination of the airport/poor usb cable?  not sure what else it could be.  that didn't sound like the usual pop/click that can pop up.  that sounded like interference from something

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 05:00:56 AM »
scott, etc.. just wanted to pass on some info I learned while researching. (Still no solution yet.  But this might be a lead.. haven't been able to go over and get a new cable yet, either, been way too busy the last few days)..

Apparently there's a problem with newer Macs and audio devices, corresponding to disk writing activities.  There's some sort of power surge/feedback through the USB port that causes the data to become fubar...  

The solution has been to use a self-powered USB bus/hub.  I have one somewhere, I'll have to give it a shot..

Still, a very frustrating problem.. mainly because it worked perfectly on my G3 Pismo...

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 07:22:13 AM »
Still, a very frustrating problem.. mainly because it worked perfectly on my G3 Pismo...

Still my favorite Apple product. That thing is a workhorse.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 01:38:43 PM »

Still my favorite Apple product. That thing is a workhorse.

No shit.. my Pismo withstood months of being knocked around on tour..  not only that, but battery life with new internal batteries was stellar for a notebook.  Never had a problem with it, unlike my 12" Powerbook.

I need to have mine repaired.. apparently the logic board needs replacing and Apple wanted my firstborn to do it... so I need tocheck into those third party affordable repair places..

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 01:59:15 PM »
if the logic board needs replacing, it should be free, considering that the 12 inch powerbook was initially released jan 7, 2003.  even if it was bought on day 1, the warranty wouldn't run out until jan 7, 2004

i own a 12 inch PB and haven't had the issues you described.  i've never even heard of that USB issue.  is the UA5 trying to suck too much juice or something?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 03:13:55 PM »
The Pismo is the one that needs the logic board replaced, actually...  That's why I bought the 12" Powerbook, it was actually less than Apple quoted for the repair.

I really don't see why the power issue could ever be an issue, especially with the fact that the UA5 is self-powered... but I ran across it referenced for several USB audio products.. either way, for $20, it might be worth it to try and see if it'll solve it.

Other than that and a new cable, I can't think what else...  maybe something on the circuit board got jarred when using the USB link in the bag...  who knows.  

Still frustrating, tried to convert last night's Howie tape and same deal..

Offline scb

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 03:27:25 PM »
>>I really don't see why the power issue could ever be an issue, especially with the fact that the UA5 is self-powered... but I ran across it referenced for several USB audio products.. either way, for $20, it might be worth it to try and see if it'll solve it.<<

power is an issue because the USB port supplies power as well as sending the signal back and forth.  if a usb device wants too much power, then it could affect the data sent over that same port it's trying to get power from

when you convert tapes, are you using external power or usb port power?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 04:06:03 PM »
External power... that's the only option for it, actually.  I may have used the wrong term when I said self-powered...  I meant it had its own power supply.  

On another note, Griffin has a product called the USB-Audio Hub, it's basically a USB hub specially designed for audio device needs..  whether it's just $40 overkill or not, we'll see, I might pick one up for the hell of it if I can find it locally (and a regular powered USB hub doesn't do the trick).

Offline scb

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 04:08:41 PM »
yeah but you don't need a hub, you're only connecting one device, correct?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 04:54:44 PM »
If you're gonna get the Pismo's board replaced, look into getting the G4 500 upgrade for it. Talk about a machine that could do well for another 5 years :)

I hope my G3 400 doesn't die anytime soon, but when it does, G4 500 upgrade will be my next step.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 11:08:38 PM »
Yeah, I've heard that G4 upgrade for the Pismo is great...  I might look into that.  Seriously, I love my Pismo...  that thing did so well for me on the road.  I ran it for recording every night plus running room measurement during soundchecks to help EQ the rooms and ring out the monitors...

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 11:10:38 PM »
I think I found the solution...

I tried a new cable, no luck.  Then I remembered that one of the notebooks we have here will still boot into OS 9... booted over, used the ASIO drivers, and, as far as I can tell.. problem solved.

Lesson?  The Edirol drivers for OS X are useless.  I've always liked OS 9 for audio work better, anyway.

Now to find my CD's to install it on my other machines to use...

Offline scb

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 07:15:18 AM »
you shouldn't need aiso for simple 16 bit 2 track.  the sound manager driver and a program like coaster (www.visualclick.de) should do the trick

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com