Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 - analog input  (Read 4212 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
JB3 - analog input
« on: October 24, 2003, 01:32:13 AM »
Some more info for anyone using the JB3 without an external a>d.  As usual, my fuckups led to a testing binge.  I have messed up so many analog recordings with this thing for one reason or another.  First the input jack, then the input selection and gain settings.  I think I've finally got it though!  Wish I did this a while ago  :P

http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/ and click on the Analog Input recording on the Jukebox 3
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:56:50 PM by Brian Skalinder »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re:JB3 - analog input
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 09:55:57 AM »
Great stuff, as usual. Thanks for the info and the effort. Saves me from f*cking up something in the future, no doubt.

(now i just gotta finish gathering my gear - ebay here I come!)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 10:06:31 AM »
You rule!  Thanks for all the great NJ3 stuff...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 11:46:24 AM »
just gotta +T ya david, always posting quality info and you seem to really have a good understanding of the equipment you use and the principles that apply to our hobby
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 12:14:33 PM »
just gotta +T ya david, always posting quality info and you seem to really have a good understanding of the equipment you use and the principles that apply to our hobby

Yep T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 01:41:08 PM »
very nice +T
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 04:00:03 PM »
Now I'm blushing...thanks Simp.  There are some areas I'm totally comfortable with and others that are a complete mystery.  Prepare for the onslaught of mic placement questions when I get my 184s next week!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 04:40:39 AM »
wow, thats interesting to know about the gain feature.  i was always told and just about everywhere i read i was told to up the db in post production, guess i won't do that anymore.  only i just bought a ua-5 so i don't really need to use the gain on the jb3.

good to know anyway tho.  +t

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 09:07:15 AM »
On the subject of the gain from the UA5 into the NJ3, I've found that NJ3 can handle peaks very well so far...  My UA5 was flashing like a firetruck at the recent Lake Trout show at the very beginning...  I turned down...

Later at home, I discovered the first part was fuller and better...  I shouldn't have turned down...

Oh well, you live, you learn, you tape some more!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 09:14:26 AM »
On the subject of the gain from the UA5 into the NJ3, I've found that NJ3 can handle peaks very well so far...  My UA5 was flashing like a firetruck at the recent Lake Trout show at the very beginning...  I turned down...

Later at home, I discovered the first part was fuller and better...  I shouldn't have turned down...

Oh well, you live, you learn, you tape some more!

Terry

Actually, I think this just indicates either

[a] the UA-5 handles overs gracefully, or
you haven't quite sorted out the exact levels at which to run the UA-5 for optimum gain without nasty overs (this is difficult to do with a single flashing light for monitoring levels!).

The JB3 in the UA-5 > JB3 application is just a storage device, it doesn't have an impact for how your setup handles peaks/overs - that's all on the UA-5.

Unless, of course, you're running analog into the JB3 in which case you should tell me to jump in the lake.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 09:18:18 AM »
Flashing on the UA-5 occurs at -3dB.  You still have a little room there.  What you don't want is constant light.  If you want to get a feel for how the 2 devices respond on the meters, plug an FM tuner into the UA-5 (like a walkman?) and tune in some plain old FM hiss (roughly white noise).  Slowly turn the gain up on the UA-5, watching the meters on the JB3 and the peak lights on the UA-5.

You can see how much the UA-5 light needs to be on before you're truly clipping (and if memory serves, you can even get away with the odd 'over' on the JB3 -  pop your recorded wave into a wave editor to check out the levels and see if it's actually over).  This is related to the calibration of the meters and may vary from unit to unit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 09:21:28 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com