Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie here, wanna start taping but don't know where to start.  (Read 15531 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Newbie here, wanna start taping but don't know where to start.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »
another option for "all in one" is the Zoom Q3HD. Advantages, to me, are decent audio AND video from one box, small size.  Disadvantage is "poor audio recording quality" per some, but generally acknowledged as having poor battery life (but AA's are easy to buy as rechargeables.)

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/zoom-q3-review/

a fellow on Dime a Dozen uses this, and I think the results are plenty nice.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=22429

the zoom H4N is supposedly better, both of them are available used for a reasonable price. Might be good starter recorders.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
Allow me to offer a slightly different perspective.  You don't need an M10.  Not only are they no longer available to purchase new, they seem to sell for more than other competent handheld recorders.  Your money is better spent on mics.  Get a recorder that will do the job for you, but the M10 isn't the only answer there.  Plenty of other recorders will be plenty fine (if I were in the market now I'd be very seriously considering the Roland R-07 which can be found for good prices and seems to be more than adequate as an M10 replacement (it even offers some features that the M10 doesn't).  There are of course even more options, but it's easy to get the impression in this forum that the M10 is the be-all-end-all in handhelds.

My recommendation would be AT853 mics with the 4.7k (aka low sensitivity) mod.  Add a simple battery box and you're in business.  I want to say that someone even had success with the low sensitivity AT853s direct into an R-07 at a loud show (Primus, maybe?), so it's possible you could get away with no battery box...or at least give it a shot.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
The main advantage of the M10 is the battery life, which is approximately forever. Other than that, yeah, all the small handheld recorders are good.

AT853s with the 4.7 mod are indeed great, but I wouldn't recommend using them without a battery box. Nine times out of ten it might work fine, but that tenth time you'll be kicking yourself. (And battery boxes are relatively cheap and all work equally well.)

ilduclo

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
really, what these last 2 guys said. That is some good advice. Good reliable gear at a reasonable price. Methinks you have your answer!

:spin:

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
Agreed on the recorder. R07 and DR05 will both do the job just fine. As would the new A10

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
So I went on Ebay to see what going prices are on the R07.  I now own an R07.  This is why I hate the internet.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
Get a Sony M-10. 

Then figure out your budget for a preamp and mikes.  The mikes will make the biggest difference in your recording.  Expensive Mikes=Better Recording. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »
I'm going to recommend the A10 over the M10 especially if you won't be open taping. Controlling the recorder from your phone is a game changer.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »
Expensive Mikes=Better Recording.

nahhhhhh

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 12:59:58 AM »

nahhhhhh

Ideal location + mics that are sufficient for the task at hand (regardless of whether they are expensive) and properly set up = best recording
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »

nahhhhhh

Ideal location + mics that are sufficient for the task at hand (regardless of whether they are expensive) and properly set up = best recording

Yup, also needed,  decent sound system and talented soundman.

Online cajuntaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
I'm new to taping as well. I will agree that a good basic rig to start is a decent set of mics, a battery box/pre-amp, and a recorder. I use a Zoom H4N with Church Audio mics (CA-14 and CA-11) and a Church Audio 9200 pre-amp. But, I only do open taping, so I don't have to worry about a stealth rig. The Zoom H4N seems like it might be bulkier than some of the Sony models mentioned, and probably not as compact for stealth purposes. It also kills batteries, so I use an external USB battery for it. With that basic set up I've pulled some good tapes with some experimentation. I also have a hard drive full of shows that will never be heard by anyone. It's like learning to do anything though. First you suck and make mistakes, but you learn from them and get better.

There's lots of great information on this forum, and I learn something new every time I come here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:07:55 PM by kdig »

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 09:51:01 PM »
recording made with internals on deck that was $150 new (Tascam DR-2D), which I much prefer to any Sony digital recorders....the internals deck actually outperformed the $500 mics this night.

if you're on dime, quality samples are in the comments.

it's all about what you know, and how you utilize it.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=652570
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

jcable77

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 03:27:41 AM »
Maybe go on Live Music Archive and listen to a bunch of different recordings and put together some things you like about certain rigs/mics/recordings. You can put together a real recording rig for $500. Sometimes the advice on here can be a little iffy.

Offline TheMysticMuse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 04:16:18 AM »
Wow! Thanks everyone for giving advice and wanting to help me out. I really appreciate this, and thank you those that have sent me private messages with a lot of useful information.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com