Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rt-angle V3 power cable?  (Read 21517 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Rt-angle V3 power cable?
« on: June 05, 2003, 10:51:14 AM »
Is there a a company making a power connector for the v3 that is a right-angle?  i have the eco-charge 6v cable and it's basically shredding right behind the plastic housing.  I've wrapped it in electrical tape and it works, but i'm going to have to get a new one.  My other cables behind there are now rt-angles, so the pressure of the entire box when it's stood up is on the power cable.  not good.   :(

any help appreciated.

-damon

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:Rt-angle V3 power cable?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 11:00:29 AM »
Same problem here, Damon.  FWIW, it's a Switchcraft locking connector, part #S760K.  Switchcraft doesn't carry a right-angle version, and I couldn't find a similar but shorter or right-angle connector anywhere.  So...here's what I did:

I ended up just hacking the S760K connector:

[1]  disconnected the wire from the connector
[2]  cut the black protective housing so it was no longer than my right-angle XLRs
[3]  cut the 2 internal pins to fit the black protective housing
[4]  re-soldered
[5]  taped the wire coming out of the housing securely to the housing so it doesn't stress the connections inside the housing

Works great so far.  It's a little sloppy, so I'm going to re-do it with a new S760K connector.  I may have an extra S760K lying around if you want to give it a go but don't want to hack apart your existing connector (like I did).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 11:16:26 AM »
thanks for the suggestion, Brian, i'm gonna try and hack mine up since it's basically useless anyway  :P  do you happen to have a picture of what you did?

we'll see how it goes.

-damon

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 11:17:40 AM »
I don't have a picture handy, but I'll take one today or tomorrow and post it.
Roland R-05

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 11:19:16 AM »
thanks, brian, +T

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 11:29:01 AM »
yea, those eco-charge ones are a known problem. Been through 2 myself ::)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 11:32:30 AM »
yea, those eco-charge ones are a known problem. Been through 2 myself ::)

are there any other options?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 11:49:11 AM »
does pro dig make one?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 02:27:31 PM »
If you found the pin polarity of the supplied connector, I would assume there are other companies that make the same dia connector.  Usually they are a standard size.  Once you find the pinpolarity you could solder this on to the same size right angle. Just get some specs and search rat shack.
SC

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 02:29:39 PM »
Please post some pics, Brian! I too am having the same problem.  :(

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 02:53:22 PM »
If you found the pin polarity of the supplied connector, I would assume there are other companies that make the same dia connector.  Usually they are a standard size.  Once you find the pinpolarity you could solder this on to the same size right angle. Just get some specs and search rat shack.
SC

The pin polarity's a no-brainer:  tip positive, ring negative.

Connector dimensions, known:  http://www.switchcraft.com/products/pdf_files/jack-146_schematic.pdf

The S760K isn't one of the common DC-plug connectors found in most portable consumer electronics gear (like the Sony portables, for instance).  The primary difference is the locking ring.

There seem to be many fewer options for locking connectors, this one included.  So far, I've tried 10 manufacturers / distributors, none of whom carry a right-angle S760K equivalent.  Hence, my hack.
Roland R-05

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 03:05:32 PM »
Some things the polarity is reversed.  But yes 9 times out of ten the pin is +.  I thought this was true at all times until I fried some RC truck components. Better to be safe than sorry.  I realize a locking connector is preferred, but couldn't you rig something up if you wanted the 90 that bad??  How about a little velcro strap to hold it in place. Put in the connector (should have some resistance) and strap over a piece of velcro taped or glued to the unit??? They really should have just gone with the old XLR's though.  Come on guy's, you built a case out of shevling for the old frying pans... :)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 03:18:16 PM »
i am thinking about going with a non-locking right-angle connector.  if the unit is resting on the jack, there really isn't much need for the screw-on lock.  plus, you're right, i could always just velcro it or tape it on.  

-damon

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 03:24:16 PM »
I have a right angle battery cable purchased through Pro Dig.  It works fine based on Damon's theory probably 85% of the time.  To insure it works properly, I just run a piece of transparent tape over hit to hold it in place.  I started doing this after noticing power outs on the V3 if the bag was bumped.  

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 04:07:36 PM »
Some things the polarity is reversed.  But yes 9 times out of ten the pin is +.  I thought this was true at all times until I fried some RC truck components. Better to be safe than sorry.  I realize a locking connector is preferred, but couldn't you rig something up if you wanted the 90 that bad??  How about a little velcro strap to hold it in place. Put in the connector (should have some resistance) and strap over a piece of velcro taped or glued to the unit??? They really should have just gone with the old XLR's though.  Come on guy's, you built a case out of shevling for the old frying pans... :)

I've never been able to figure out why anyone would make the ring positive.  But yeah, sometimes that's the case.  Like the UA5 - it's ring is positive, tip negative.  Someone here or the Oade board fried some stuff because of it.

And you're absolutely right - it should be easy enough to use a non-locking connector and rig it securely into place with tape or velcro or some such.  My personal experience with tape isn't stellar, though, largely through my own fault.  Tape stretches and I'm not always diligent enough about replacing it as it wears.  Similar deal with velcro - I've found I have to check/adjust it constantly, and often forget, then...nudge the bag and bang, no power.

It works fine based on Damon's theory probably 85% of the time.  To insure it works properly, I just run a piece of transparent tape over hit to hold it in place.  I started doing this after noticing power outs on the V3 if the bag was bumped.

Erik - Works 85% of the time with or without the tape holding it in place?  I hope it works 100% of the time with the tape in place!
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com