Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H3-VR  (Read 17171 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Zoom H3-VR
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
A primary specification and constraint of any tetrahedral arrangement ambisonic microphone is how close together the capsules are, measured by the radius of an imaginary sphere tangential to all  four capsule diaphragm faces.

The closer together the diaphragms, the better the microphone will behave at high frequencies.  Above a threshold defined by that dimension (corresponding to frequency wavelength) the matrixing breaks down and the virtual polar patterns go wonky and get pretty ugly.

I don't see that specified for the H3-VR, but it will be sure to be checked and reported in any truly serious review.  That said, given the market target I mostly expect more superficial reviews that basically report on how easy it is to use and how ambisonics is cool, and expect most of those reviewers to be completely unaware of this important specification and it's implications.

All in all, its a a very cool device at an attractive price.  Kudos Zoom.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
One of these and a chin strap and you are stealthing VR goodness FOB ...

Seriously though I may get one of these. For the price it would be cool just to play around with and if I don't like it I can give it to the Marketing Manager at work so he can create VR content for our website. I work at a university so anything we can do that's cool and trendy makes us look better. Seems from a brief look that it can be vertically or end address? I thought one of the selling points of ambisonics is that you can point it any direction later...

Also this - "Staying out of the shot can be tricky when recording a 360-degree video, which is why the H3 Control App lets you remotely access transport controls, level settings, and metadata notes right from your iOS device.*

*Optional BTA-1 adapter required
"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:20:51 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
Seems from a brief look that it can be vertically or end address? I thought one of the selling points of ambisonics is that you can point it any direction later...

Part of the all-in-one simplifying innovation of the thing is that it incorporates a "which way is up" sensor. It knows how the device is oriented and allows it to automatically accommodate for vertical right-side-up or vertical inverted, or end-address right-side-up or end-address inverted. 

Beyond that, yes, with full-sphere ambisonics you can manually re-orient the virtual orientation however you like.

But simply automatically reconfiguring the matrixing to accommodate for mic orientation and making that invisible to the user represents a significant reduction in complexity and user error.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
I agree with everything you say, Gutbucket, and bow deeply to your knowledg of the subject - personally I never got beyond MS stereo in terms of complexity!  However, I still feel that the device will sink or swim based on capsule quality - indeed we have to remember the price point but, apart from everything else on offer, the truly unique aspect of this device compared with every other compact recorder on the market is that it has no inputs of any sort.  (In the nature of the thing, that's inevitable).

Almost everyone here seems to regard the built in mics of the devices we discuss as being something to be used when all else fails - we have our own favourite external mic rigs to use with our recorders - but this time, it's the internals or nothing.

It's advertised here in Australia for pre-order - I'm really hoping the reviews will be positive because I need a really, really good excuse to invest in one of these given that I have no particular use case, these days!  But I want one....

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 04:43:45 AM »
At risk of posting what everyone already knows....

Sound sample in a vR context = https://youtu.be/CLP-qyvNRSw

recommended by the guy who made the above video at

https://youtu.be/W7zHwep5zMI

Essential info re the available recording modes -

https://youtu.be/7hyQyjyXzkg

Playback options, including a very cool mode where you can rotate the device during playback to rotate the soundfield -

https://youtu.be/viSiEPFYp5s

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 02:26:54 PM »
Got mine today.  I hope to try out the mics Friday just to see how they sound on piano, the ambisonics stuff will have to wait.  The Zoom Ambisonics player can only be downloaded for Mac now, I got an answer back fast from Zoom on that:

"The Zoom Ambisonics Player will be available for Windows this month (November). Unfortunately we do not currently have a more specific timeline."

There is a Quick Start guide, but you have to print out your own operator manual from the Zoom website (119 pages), same for the Ambisonic Player software manual (27 pages).  This may be an inexpensive device, but the price per ounce is rather high, this is a comically small package (that's good).

Jeff

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 02:35:26 PM »
If you can save the files onto your computer in B format you could use pretty much any ambisonic software/plugin to process it.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 03:10:24 AM »
Rveryone who wants to know about how to stealth tape — you put this on the top of your head and try to act natural. That’s all you need right there!

Goodbye kangol, hello dunce cap!

Wrap it in silver foil and mutter about conspiracies under your breath, everyone will leave you alone then!

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »
Noted one placed mid-orchestra about a month ago at a late-night syphonic event were audience seating was removed so that the patrons could wander freely about the hall, including around a semi-circular path through the orchestra.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 08:06:58 PM »
I bought one to play with but haven't really put it through it's paces yet. I got a decent discount and it came with a dead rat windscreen that is meant to be used with the factory foam windscreen. For me it is basically a toy.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »

Has anyone here used one of these to record a show? I'm considering getting one to just plop on a table, shelf or stagelip when I don't feel like setting up my actual rig. The internals on my PMD620 aren't terrible but they aren't very good either.

Any links to a show recording or actual field experience with loud music (as opposed to chamber music or nature sounds) would be very much apreciated!
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Kewl

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Ambisonic Studio
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 11:49:34 PM »
There's a new Facebook users' group for the H3-VR: https://www.facebook.com/groups/902899420069659/

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
the on stage, or near stage recordings i've heard out of this are really good.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »
Ok, so I pulled the trigger.   Found a very reasonably priced one on eBay.    And while I don't record concerts much any more, I do still record my bands and practices..., so I'm expecting really good things from this in that small setting w/the instruments placed all around it.
I'll post some samples in a couple weeks once I have it, learn how to use it...and actually employ it.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Proper scope.   I'm a small guy and have hands slightly larger than Trumps.
sort of makes you revisit that funny hat idea.   >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com