Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/4 to 1/8 line-out to mic input  (Read 9420 times)

Offline KrossXC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: 1/4 to 1/8 line-out to mic input
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »
?? There are attenuator patch cords that can do this--they go from an (unbalanced) line output to an (unbalanced) mike-level input via resistors that are built into the cable. The attenuation is usually about 50 dB.

Why are people trying to get this person to buy a new recorder? Did I overlook something? (It's been known to happen.)

--best regards

Care to link me to such a cable? preferably amazon.com link.

Thanks for the effort and possibly saving me some cash.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 03:36:30 AM »
depending on the price of the attenuater cable this recorder at $60 MIGHT be  better deal.

taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141115.0

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
depending on the price of the attenuater cable this recorder at $60 MIGHT be  better deal.

taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141115.0

Thanks Bugg, I'll PM him tomorrow about the deal.

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
wanted to post the back of the soundboard.

I will decide in next couple of days what route I am going to record. Most like leaning towards purchasing the new recorder, unless I can figure out what cable to order for my existing sony recorder.

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:58:47 AM »
I'm going with the cable and the Tascam DR07.

Can someone direct me, where to plug this in, in the soundboard? any settings I need to know about? I will take some pics after class on Sunday of the hookup. Thanks so far, all this info has been extremely helpful.

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
Could you post a picture of the back of the board that doesn't look like it was taken through a frosted window?  :P

Guys, wouldn't it be easier if he got a stereo RCA to 1/8 and used the "Tape Out" of his soundboard?

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
really would like a definitive answer. I'm ok with ordering those two things.. unless someone thinks there is a better/cheaper solution?

btw, I'll post another pic in next couple of days

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »
I have used this mixer. There should be one of the sets of RCA that say "rec out."I would use RCA to 1/8" like Evan suggested. Best option is to do that as that output is made for this exact function. This cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2 will actually be your best option for this mixer. Sorry I didn't think about that before!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:34:46 PM by 12milluz »
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
RCA to 1/8" would be my vote. 

But just because it hasn't been mentioned (yet / or I missed it), you could do the 1/4" to a headphone preamp and attenuate it there.  You'll have to set the headphone out really really low.  Or if the mixer has such an output, with knob, use it.  Not ideal as you'll have to run at about 0.5 of 10 on the volume output(5%, maybe 10%).  Also vulnerable to cell phone handshakes once you get to the thin cables and unbalanced output like that.  But the RCA cable will also be vulnerable.  Assuming that the little plastic voice recorder isn't also vulnerable.  And depending on the quality that you need / want.  Lots of options to get something.  Depending on what you have versus what you need.  And what compromises you can live with.  And if you have any time / option to do any trail and error beforehand.

When I need something cheap, I generally take the headphone out and turn the volume way down.  But that's mainly a content over quality scenario.  Which is far from an common or ideal circumstance.  But for judges tapes when no one seems to own a tape player anymore.  An option.

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:40:51 AM »
I have used this mixer. There should be one of the sets of RCA that say "rec out."I would use RCA to 1/8" like Evan suggested. Best option is to do that as that output is made for this exact function. This cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2 will actually be your best option for this mixer. Sorry I didn't think about that before!

You are suggesting using the Tascam DR07, with this cable. Correct?

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

You are suggesting using the Tascam DR07, with this cable. Correct?
Yes that would work well.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Go with the RCA to 1/8 to your Tascam. Should work like a charm. Plug the RCA cables into the Rec Out (or tape out..whatever your mixer has..same thing.) and you'll be good to go.  :)

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
/ordered

Will post audio sample in 8 days, after next class. Thanks to all.

Offline KrossXC

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Got it...

tomorrow is go-time! I PM'd 12milluz, but thought I'd ask everyone:

is there anything else I need to do besides plug this into the "rec out" RCA's in the back-of-the-mixer. Is there any settings or volume-out knobs I need to mess with?

VERY excited about tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your help/guidance

[/URL]

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
Nothing you really need to mess with before plugging it in. Just have your recorder set to record from the Line Input, plug it in and record. Of course you'll want to set your levels by speaking into the microphone (or whatever else you're using it for) and listening or watching the levels and setting them accordingly. The Tascam is capable of recording in 24bit mode...but if you're just recording lectures than I'd set it to 16bit. You'll have more recording time and you won't really notice a change in the quality.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com