Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126249 times)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #375 on: August 03, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
Joining the team in about a week when my deck arrives.
I love mine....

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2019, 04:33:51 PM »
I love mine....

Glad to hear. Taking a small chance on picking one up that was a demo for a review on eBay. Mint but saved $40 off the best price out there so it was a no brainer. Looking forward to running it with a Baby nBox and my CK63 actives. Looking forward to the app.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »
I love mine....

Glad to hear. Taking a small chance on picking one up that was a demo for a review on eBay. Mint but saved $40 off the best price out there so it was a no brainer. Looking forward to running it with a Baby nBox and my CK63 actives. Looking forward to the app.

The app is great. I did some "training" the other night with my stereo. I'm just waiting on my baby nbox now  >:D
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »
I returned my Roland R-07 last month for a refund because all the front lettering rubbed off with hardly any use (I liked the recorder otherwise).
Just received an A10 as a replacement, but the control wheel "arrow down" was sticking :banging head:.
Feel a little exhausted  :-\
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
Quick Q as I'll have mine in hand in the next few days (and because I don't want to dig through 26 pages of stuff).  What are the correct settings to use the A10 with a Baby nBox?  Thanks all!

TIA!
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2019, 02:48:21 AM »
Quick Q as I'll have mine in hand in the next few days (and because I don't want to dig through 26 pages of stuff).  What are the correct settings to use the A10 with a Baby nBox?  Thanks all!

I don't have a baby nbox, but a tinybox with 0dB gain, so the signals should be pretty similar. I'm using audio in (line in), manual gain, levels set to somewhere between 12 and 16. But this is with Schoeps, so settings for your AKGs could vary.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:40 PM »
had an incident this weekend while  >:D

pulled it out of my pocket to adjust something and went to unlock, it was already unlocked and the same downward motion turned it off. fortunately was between songs

i was adjusting levels with the app (which worked fine), but also monitoring and wanted to adjust the headphone volume which you cant do thru the app and need to unlock to do

"power off" requires a very slightly longer press to execute but still less than a second,  so if youre messing with hold, if you do a "quick flick" to unlock it is safer

this could be easily remedied in firmware by making "power off" require a 2-3 second long press, or alternatively, requiring recording to be stopped before powering off

a patch would be to wedge something in the power-off slider slot, underneath a piece of electrical tape, to prevent the switch from fully going down (but still allowing the hold slider to operate.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:31:56 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
I ran mic in with my Babynbox and my levels were between 2-3 (manual gain). The last band I turned down to one until the sound kind of stabilized. This was at some small DIY venue, so the board isn't like a normal venue(s) where everything is mic'ed the same.

For the most part, I've been using my tinybox (on low) and my gain settings on the A10 have been a little lower than Sebastian's. I don't get out nearly as much as I used to.

TIA!
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
I ran mic in with my Babynbox and my levels were between 2-3 (manual gain). The last band I turned down to one until the sound kind of stabilized.

its very sensitive on the input. I was running IEM pack>A10 and had to turn the pack volume down to about 1/2 volume (on what should be a headphone out) to keep levels ok on A10 line input, with A10 input levels set to only 10-15. i was super worried that id be brickwalling the input but it was OK. I forgot that input level only goes 0 to 30, im used to my other handhelds which go 0-100

id try baby inbox with the line in. unless your A10 needs to have the levels all the way up to 25-30 it might be a safer bet. with any input you kind of want to be in the middle, like 10-20

if input level has to be really low, like 1-5 you are risking input overloading/brickwalling. if it needs to be really high like 25-30 you risk adding noise by taxing the A10's gain stage
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
had an incident this weekend while  >:D

pulled it out of my pocket to adjust something and went to unlock, it was already unlocked and the same downward motion turned it off. fortunately was between songs

i was adjusting levels with the app (which worked fine), but also monitoring and wanted to adjust the headphone volume which you cant do thru the app and need to unlock to do

"power off" requires a very slightly longer press to execute but still less than a second,  so if youre messing with hold, if you do a "quick flick" to unlock it is safer

this could be easily remedied in firmware by making "power off" require a 2-3 second long press, or alternatively, requiring recording to be stopped before powering off

a patch would be to wedge something in the power-off slider slot, underneath a piece of electrical tape, to prevent the switch from fully going down (but still allowing the hold slider to operate.)

I've been close to getting burned with that hold being on the same slider as power on the A-10 too. I am using the D-10 and they definitely got it right by having separate sliders for power and hold.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »

I've done that very thing with the M10. Sadly not between songs.

Offline scottE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2019, 04:25:11 AM »
Recorded a piano concert with the A10 the other week. Listening back i hear some ticking with telephone buzz/noise in the recording.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent that from happening or clean it up?
SP-BMC-12
SP-SPSB-6

PCM-A10
Edirol R-09HR

Iphone + SC6-L+OKM

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »
 :smash:

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #388 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
I think I remember reading in this thread that there is no way to turn off the mic in power?

If that's the case, is powering additive? In other words, if I use a battery box will the total power provided the mics be battery box voltage + A10 voltage?

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #389 on: August 16, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
I think I remember reading in this thread that there is no way to turn off the mic in power?
If that's the case, is powering additive? In other words, if I use a battery box will the total power provided the mics be battery box voltage + A10 voltage?

Battery boxes all (should) have  series capacitors on their outputs so that the recording device never sees the battery voltage. Likewise, neither the battery nor the microphone sees the PIP voltage provided by the recorder, so the two cannot add.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com