Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Removing digi-noise from transfered recordings  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Removing digi-noise from transfered recordings
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
So, I've been transfering some of my old VHS-Hi-Fi masters to WAV files and I'm getting digi-noise similar to the digi-noise you sometimes get when you transfer DATs.

I'm using CuBase, which has a sample editor, which I can go in and re-draw by hand the wave form to round it off, so it doesn't have the sharp transitions that create the noise.

It's very tedious work though. But, when re-drawn smoothly, the noise is eliminated.

I'm wondering if anyone has a quicker way to do the same thing? I've got upwards of 50 spots on some of the transfers that have that noise, which I'd like to eliminate.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Removing digi-noise from transfered recordings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
So, I've been transfering some of my old VHS-Hi-Fi masters to WAV files and I'm getting digi-noise similar to the digi-noise you sometimes get when you transfer DATs.

I'm using CuBase, which has a sample editor, which I can go in and re-draw by hand the wave form to round it off, so it doesn't have the sharp transitions that create the noise.

It's very tedious work though. But, when re-drawn smoothly, the noise is eliminated.

I'm wondering if anyone has a quicker way to do the same thing? I've got upwards of 50 spots on some of the transfers that have that noise, which I'd like to eliminate.
Could it be a tracking issue on the VHS machine?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »

Could it be a tracking issue on the VHS machine?

Yeah, it is. The deck I have is almost 30 years old. It's a professional deck with tracking control, but it isn't working well enough to totally fix the problem.
I was able to get it close, but there are still some bad spots.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
someone worked on a recording of mine with izotope rx2 to remove hum and static.  once he had a fairly silent passage with the offending noise he was able to do some passes over the recording to minimize it.   here are his notes but i have no clue.  perhaps some of this may be useful. . .

A hum profile was created using a very quiet section at the end of track 22. Ambient background audience noise was removed from the hum profile using the RX2 broadband noise reduction.

The hum profile was then used to reduce the hum from the end of track 13 through track 27 for the left channel only using the RX2 tonal noise reduction. Note the objective was to lower the level of hum so that it is no longer an issue whilst maintaining the fidelity of the recording and without introducing digital artefacts often associated with noise reduction techniques.

Residual problems remained with track 19 WOASD. Some digital clicking due to damaged audio on the left channel was resolved by replacing tiny segments of the left channel with the good audio from the right channel. A couple of additional hum pulses on the left channel were subdued by applying further tonal noise reduction on the pulses. The section processed was between 0:25 and 1:30.

DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
I used to have a hinky line in jack on my JB3 that caused a lot of digi noise.  I was able to do a good job cleaning them up in Audition with ClickFix  http://www.jdklein.com/clickfix/  There may be other plugins for your DAW that work in a similar fashion.  HTH  It's primary thrust was vinyl transfer clean up so perhaps looking for that as a search would work as well.

I hadn't seen that Clickfix. I love trying new software. Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com