Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/96 best bang for the buck recorder?  (Read 11356 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
24/96 best bang for the buck recorder?
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
i don't need built in mics, just something small, good a/d conversion, a line input that won't !@# up the signal too much, that will record onto flash cards.

is there anything out there aside from the usual suspects, sony m10, tascam dr series , zoom, etc...

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: 24/96 best bang for the buck recorder?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
Sony M10 seems to be the best bet. It fits everything you're looking for plus will run FOREVER on one set of batteries.

With my Tascam DR-07 I could get a little more than a full nights of music off a set of batteries (not enough to run 2 full nights though). With the M10 I've recorded 2 bands a night every day this week since last Saturday. Going to replace the batteries before tonight's show just to be on the safe side.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
M10. You can do no wrong.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
You say flash cards. There's the microtrack 2 that takes compact flash cards.

Were you wanting compact flash cards for a particular reason?

The recorder the two folks above mentioned take microsdhc cards which could mean "flash" to you.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »
Get the M10, not the MT2. With the MT2, among other issues, you need to get a special cable made for line in (Sound Pro's sells them) or you will add the dreaded "sprinkler noise" to your recordings when using unbalanced mics and adding gain with the MT. Also the internal battery will need a boost from an external battery if you need long running times.

No reason to get a MT if you don't need the digital in or phantom power.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
The m10 is a good recorder, but the sound quality has not been proven to be superior in comps here. A lot of assumptions have been made.

There is more to a recorder than battery life.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
Another vote for the M10 I have been doing my research around here and elsewhere and I myself am saving up for a new stealth rig which will include an M10.

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Get the M10, not the MT2. With the MT2, among other issues, you need to get a special cable made for line in (Sound Pro's sells them) or you will add the dreaded "sprinkler noise" to your recordings when using unbalanced mics and adding gain with the MT. Also the internal battery will need a boost from an external battery if you need long running times.

No reason to get a MT if you don't need the digital in or phantom power.

I wouldn't get the mt2 if it was $50. I was just playing a semantics game. He said flash card as in compact flash and the m10 doesn't take compact flash cards. :-D

my vote is for the m10 since internal mics are not necessary.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »
The m10 is a good recorder, but the sound quality has not been proven to be superior in comps here. A lot of assumptions have been made.

Let us know which one you would recommend.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 04:45:48 PM »

That's true, but I don't think most people who are recommending the M10 are saying it sounds better than all the others. At least I'm not claiming it sounds better and I don't think anyone posting in this thread has said that. Most of the good flash recorders sound pretty much the same to my ears, at least when you go line in with a pre.  I can make flawless recordings with my MT1, but it's much more inconvenient and less intuitive to use than the M10, so I would not recommend either of the MT's (unless you need the digital in and don't mind the risk of it locking up).

The M10 has great battery life, a great display, the line in will take a very high level signal without distorting, the mic in is good, the plug in power will adequately run some commonly used mics without a battery box (though not many of the Church ones), and the internal mics (for those who may care) are pretty good.

I also don't think you can go wrong with R-09HR and a few of the other pocket recorders.

Still I think the M10 is gives you the most bang for the buck of all the small pocket flash recorders. That is of course just my opinion, which seems to be shared by quite a few others.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:00:03 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »
I was just playing a semantics game. He said flash card as in compact flash and the m10 doesn't take compact flash cards. :-D

if you want to get technical, "flash memory" or "flash card" does not imply a "Compact Flash Card" or "CF card".
"Flash Memory" is a general term for the type of solid state storage upon which many cards are based, but could be SD, CF, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick, USB thumb drives, etc, etc..  it's all "flash memory".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
I was just playing a semantics game. He said flash card as in compact flash and the m10 doesn't take compact flash cards. :-D

if you want to get technical, "flash memory" or "flash card" does not imply a "Compact Flash Card" or "CF card".
"Flash Memory" is a general term for the type of solid state storage upon which many cards are based, but could be SD, CF, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick, USB thumb drives, etc, etc..  it's all "flash memory".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

yes, this is all true.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
Let us know which one you would recommend.

I think it is between the m10 and the r09hr.   They're both excellent.  guysonic says the r09hr sounds slightly better for recording music.  I'm willing to suffer some inconvenience for better sound quality (though in this case, they're both excellent, so that isn't a trade-off).  I'd still like to hear some comps.

For value, the r09 used is very good, as long as the jacks are solid (knock on wood, mine has been okay).

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

I think it is between the m10 and the r09hr.   They're both excellent.  guysonic says the r09hr sounds slightly better for recording music.  I'm willing to suffer some inconvenience for better sound quality (though in this case, they're both excellent, so that isn't a trade-off).  I'd still like to hear some comps.

guy also says the m10 is the best to run mic with plug in power
so what i am saying is that it all depends on your needs and what you plan on doing
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »

guy also says the m10 is the best to run mic with plug in power
so what i am saying is that it all depends on your needs and what you plan on doing

Plus whether you could even hear the slight improvement guy found in the HR for recording music. I have both and both sound equally good to me. I like the M10's feature set a bit better and don't care that it has 96 HZ sampling but not 88.2 Hz.

Either one is a great choice and as freelunch says the old R-09 can be good as well. But if you are recording stuff that isn't too loud with the R-09 you definitely benefit from a preamp. It gets noisy at the higher gain settings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com