Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3  (Read 9554 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3
« on: December 18, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »
So right now I'm running iRiver at 16bit, and can periodically run my macbook for 24bit optical in from the V3, but I'm looking for a reliable, easily-portable, field ready, and relatively inexpensive bit bucket that will do 24/48 at least and optimally accepts a digi-coax in rather than optical.

What is everyone's favourite 24bit bit bucket these days? Anything I should watch out for in the new year?

I'm looking for something not much more than $500 realistically.

FWIW, I initially thought I'd jump on an MT, but have since decided I don't want to deal with its stability issues.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: 24bit RELIABLE bit bucket to run behind V3
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 01:15:56 PM »
AFAIK, the MicroTrack's the only option in that price range.  FWIW, I and plenty of other folks have run the MT as a bit-bucket with minimal trouble initially, followed by slim to no issues after identifying and working with its quirks.

Dnsacks may have some input on a PDA-based bit-bucket, but that may (or may not) take you above your budget.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:16:59 PM »
Ive been using the V3 > MT combo for ab00t a year now. with the latest firmware, things seem to work very well now :)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »
I'm quite happy with my dell axim x51v handheld, coresound's pdaudio cf card and the excellent live24/96 software.

The live 24/96 software automatically splits wav files at the proper point (which the mt won't do) and makes for a really handy pda.

VERY durable and, so far, battery life has NOT been an issue.

fwiw

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:33 PM »
I'm quite happy with my dell axim x51v handheld, coresound's pdaudio cf card and the excellent live24/96 software.

The live 24/96 software automatically splits wav files at the proper point (which the mt won't do) and makes for a really handy pda.

fwiw

What would a setup like that cost? I've heard some bad things about PDA rigs in terms of reliability as well.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:09 PM »
Also, does anyone know the going rate for a used stock pmd671?

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
FWIW.  I actually love my MT as a bit bucket at 24/48.  The only issue I had was batery life with a microdrive.  Made a Li ion battery pack now the thing is rock solid and battery life lasts forever.

get a used MT for cheap.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:24:15 PM »
FWIW.  I actually love my MT as a bit bucket at 24/48.  The only issue I had was batery life with a microdrive.  Made a Li ion battery pack now the thing is rock solid and battery life lasts forever.

get a used MT for cheap.

It seems that for every person that suggests the MT is stable, I find another person who has problems... not really sure if I want to take that gamble at this point... maybe I'm imagining things, but wasn't there a used pmd671 that sold on here a while back for $475 or so... to me, that would seem like a great deal.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »
after using a MT for 6 or 7 months, I decided that I no longer wanted to deal with the quirks, but mostly, the lack of an auto-split at 2 gigs.  Granted, the latest firmware (which I never got to use), seems to be better in terms of overall stability, but there is still no 2 gig autosplit.  that was a big deal for me and made it a hassle to run.  so, I made the switch to a Tascam HD-P2.  it's been rock solid and I haven't looked back.  I think either an HD-P2 or the Marantz PMD-671 would be worthwhile, especially if you can find one used.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
after using a MT for 6 or 7 months, I decided that I no longer wanted to deal with the quirks, but mostly, the lack of an auto-split at 2 gigs.  Granted, the latest firmware (which I never got to use), seems to be better in terms of overall stability, but there is still no 2 gig autosplit.  that was a big deal for me and made it a hassle to run.  so, I made the switch to a Tascam HD-P2.  it's been rock solid and I haven't looked back.  I think either an HD-P2 or the Marantz PMD-671 would be worthwhile, especially if you can find one used.

Yeah, between those 2 units, I've heard nothing but good things, but would probably opt for the 671 since it's slightly smaller. Either way, with a v3 and one of those units, I'd probably be investing in a Nova 5.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
i agree the tascam rocks, when i had mine, i had no issues at all, and tascam is a reliable company.  
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
Well, the tascam and marantz units are proven, so those are definitely good options.

Are there any good units coming out in the new year that people are hyping? i haven't been following the threads.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »
Yeah, between those 2 units, I've heard nothing but good things, but would probably opt for the 671 since it's slightly smaller. Either way, with a v3 and one of those units, I'd probably be investing in a Nova 5.

actually, I went with the HD-P2 partially because it's smaller.
from this thread that I started a while back:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62271.0

Marantz PMD-671
size: 10.4" x 7.3" x 2"

Tascam HD-P2
size: 9.6" x 7.4" x 2.36"

the HD-P2 is just a little taller (0.1 inches), and a little thicker (0.36 inches), but the PMD-671 is 0.8 inches wider.
I guess it all depends which dimension is more important to you :)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »

actually, I went with the HD-P2 partially because it's smaller.
from this thread that I started a while back:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62271.0

Marantz PMD-671
size: 10.4" x 7.3" x 2"

Tascam HD-P2
size: 9.6" x 7.4" x 2.36"

the HD-P2 is just a little taller (0.1 inches), and a little thicker (0.36 inches), but the PMD-671 is 0.8 inches wider.
I guess it all depends which dimension is more important to you :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification Jason... I guess they're basically the same size give or take.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 02:39:28 PM »

fwiw

Have you got any pics of your setup? This looks like pretty cool stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com