Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 101381 times)

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #375 on: September 14, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
Tgakidis.  You can see what he makes in the Retail section under Gakables.  Nice build quality !!!!
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
Thanks

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #377 on: September 15, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
ted makes awesome custom cables. 

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #378 on: September 15, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
Thanks for the props guys  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2013, 01:53:35 AM »
I think we need a new thread (I am not volunteering), but I also have a favor request:

Would anyone be willing to help with trying to recover some files lost due to power being pulled before I pressed stop?  I have no idea when the sound guy pulled my cables, so the recording probably doesn't have anything on it, but I suppose there's a slight chance they forgot until the set was over.

Its Johnny Winter at BB Kings in NY last month.  I had SBD + AKG 63s running.  My cousin's band opened the night (who I obviously had permission to open tape with a board patch), so I just left everything plugged in and recording.  I very much assume they pulled all my cables out at the beginning of set (my gear was setup in the sound booth) , but still I have a foolish hope about these types of things.

kirk97132

« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
I think we need a new thread (I am not volunteering), but I also have a favor request:

Would anyone be willing to help with trying to recover some files lost due to power being pulled before I pressed stop?  I have no idea when the sound guy pulled my cables, so the recording probably doesn't have anything on it, but I suppose there's a slight chance they forgot until the set was over.

Its Johnny Winter at BB Kings in NY last month.  I had SBD + AKG 63s running.  My cousin's band opened the night (who I obviously had permission to open tape with a board patch), so I just left everything plugged in and recording.  I very much assume they pulled all my cables out at the beginning of set (my gear was setup in the sound booth) , but still I have a foolish hope about these types of things.
Good luck.  I am at about a 30% success rate over the years.  That would be about 10 or 15 tries.  I have no good advice or recommendations for recovery, sorry.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
I don't have one but am thinking about getting one if a used one pops up. So I'm wondering when you need to increase levels or adjust them is it possible to adjust them together as stereo tracks. So increase input 1+2 at the same time?

Also when you record multiple tracks at the same time does it make multiple stereo tracks? Or one that has multiple tracks?

And lastly i read the manual it said when doing multi tracks it does 6 tracks. If your doing 4 track can you make it save only the 4 tracks and save the memory of a blank file?

Thanks for the help
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
I don't have one but am thinking about getting one if a used one pops up. So I'm wondering when you need to increase levels or adjust them is it possible to adjust them together as stereo tracks. So increase input 1+2 at the same time?

Yes, you can gang adjacent channels for both record levels and mix levels.

Also when you record multiple tracks at the same time does it make multiple stereo tracks? Or one that has multiple tracks?

I don't recall all of the options, but I have it set to record multiple mono tracks. 4-track = 4 mono files.

And lastly i read the manual it said when doing multi tracks it does 6 tracks. If your doing 4 track can you make it save only the 4 tracks and save the memory of a blank file?

Tracks are armed individually*, so you can record as many/few tracks as you want. If you want to record 4 tracks, you'll get 4 mono files.

*1-6 are mono tracks, and then 7-8 is a stereo track.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #383 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
You can 'gang' as many adjacent channels as you like for simultaneous adjustment of the recoring level (and also monitor pan and output level), and you can un-gang and re-gang them in different groupings as necessary while recording.  So for instance, you can adjust individual levels on each channel, then gang them as pairs and adjust them that way, then gang them all and adjust all channel gains together simultaneously with one knob.

You can record either individual mono files (1,2,3,4,5,6,st) or stereo file pairing adjacent channels (1-2,3-4,5-6,st).  The "extra" stereo channel is always written as a stereo file, even if you set the machine to record mono files.  It can record either two additional channels via the digital input or a stereo mix of the 6 analog inputs.  While in record/pause, you can choose to arm or disarm any combination of channels or pairs of channels within that framework.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:10 AM »
I have never been able to get the ganging feature to work when recording is set to mono channels.  Only works (for me) when recording is set to stereo. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
Hmmm. Works fine for me, and I usually have it set to write mono files.

The only hitch I find is simply working the buttons in the correct sequence.  The problems I run into usually have to do with trying to see or hunt for the correct channel selections by feel in the dark, and fat fingering the proceedure of holding down the button at the lower end of the range while pressing the one at the higher end of the range, and making sure the range I want doesn't already include another ganged grouping.  I sometimes need to fumble around a few times to get the channel grouping I want ganged or un-ganged.

[edit] I noticed recently it gets somewhat weird if you have M/S enabled for a channel pair, even if M/S decoding is only enabled for playback.  The channel selction seems to consider that pair unbreakable even if writing individual mono files.  I turned off M/S playback decoding and could then once again gang these channels with other adjacent channels in whatever combination I wanted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:57:57 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #386 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:30 PM »
Alright one more question ( for now) does anyone know the power draw of these in mah?im looking to get the naztech battery if I were I get one of these and would like to know how long that's ping to last, and this is with no phantom power on.

Thanks
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

kirk97132

« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
Hmmm. Works fine for me, and I usually have it set to write mono files.

The only hitch I find is simply working the buttons in the correct sequence.  The problems I run into usually have to do with trying to see or hunt for the correct channel selections by feel in the dark, and fat fingering the proceedure of holding down the button at the lower end of the range while pressing the one at the higher end of the range, and making sure the range I want doesn't already include another ganged grouping.  I sometimes need to fumble around a few times to get the channel grouping I want ganged or un-ganged.

[edit] I noticed recently it gets somewhat weird if you have M/S enabled for a channel pair, even if M/S decoding is only enabled for playback.  The channel selction seems to consider that pair unbreakable even if writing individual mono files.  I turned off M/S playback decoding and could then once again gang these channels with other adjacent channels in whatever combination I wanted.
NO MS for me and I will try again and verify what firmware.  But when I have run it 24/48 mono with limiters I could never get it to gang two channels.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #388 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
NO MS for me and I will try again and verify what firmware.  But when I have run it 24/48 mono with limiters I could never get it to gang two channels.

I run 24/48 mono, but not with the limiters.  Shouldn't matter but who knows?  Curious if it works for you with the limiters off.

kirk97132

« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com