Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-4 LEVELS  (Read 1373 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
R-4 LEVELS
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
The R-4 levels aren't especially precise.    How hot can you run without overload...Ive got the Busman Transparency mod...
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R-4 LEVELS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
If the R-4 is like the R-44 you have to keep your eyes on both sets of meters...  It is critical not to bake the pre-amp stage since you can look fine on the big meters but toast the signal before it got there...  You don't want any clipping in the pre-amp (small meter) stage, which is really sort of an idiot light reading, so I set it at the level I can run the larger fine dial all the way up and not be clipping the big meter.  By default that means the pre-amp stage is not clipping.  Ultimately I aim to wind up no higher than -3 on the big meters (though usually it's -6 or lower since the pre-amp moves in 6 db increments).  If you have to turn the fine adjustment down below 3/4 of the max you're likely to be clipping in the pre-amp. 

0 is really 0.  I'm OK with the peak anywhere between -12 and 0 (though hope for -6).  Most of what I record is very quiet and very dynamic so there's always an adjustment in post. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com