Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the best product to clean XLR contacts?  (Read 9634 times)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
What is the best product to clean XLR contacts?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
I know it was mentioned on TS.com before.  Is rubbing alcohol ok?
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: What is the best product to clean XLR contacts?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
Rubbing alcohol ok.

Deoxit will help prevent corrosion in the future.
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
thanks!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
thanks!

Spray, let soak, then mate/unmate the connector several times to work the contacts.

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
check out deoxit . a spray on contact cleaner..

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »
I've had some good experiences with Stabilant 22; I've seen (heard) it fix a microphone/cable combination that had become a little crackly. I'm not sure I believe the company's explanations of how the product works, though.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
I've had some good experiences with Stabilant 22; I've seen (heard) it fix a microphone/cable combination that had become a little crackly. I'm not sure I believe the company's explanations of how the product works, though.

^^ Expensive stuff, I've been considering picking up a bottle but uncertain of which S22 strength to pick up and is it really better than CAIG's product line.  What variety solution do you reccomend? 

I'm currently using CAIG DeOxit Red/Cleaner, Blue/Shield as well as their Fader Lube and Gold products in various forms.  Unfortunately, Cramolin is not available in a pure solution in the US anymore.  Mixing the pure solution with Mineral Spirits was a way to make your own cleaning solution for less $$ and it worked great. 
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »

^^ Expensive stuff, I've been considering picking up a bottle but uncertain of which S22 strength to pick up and is it really better than CAIG's product line.  What variety solution do you reccomend? 

I'm currently using CAIG DeOxit Red/Cleaner, Blue/Shield as well as their Fader Lube and Gold products in various forms.  Unfortunately, Cramolin is not available in a pure solution in the US anymore.  Mixing the pure solution with Mineral Spirits was a way to make your own cleaning solution for less $$ and it worked great. 

Found this explanation in a rec.audio.tech
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.audio.tech/x-XIfP2PJQQ

Deoxit is a contact cleaner that leaves a small conductive film to prevent corrosion.

Stabilant 22 is gap filling polymer that is conductive only over small distances. It needs to be applied to clean connectors. If you have an old connector that is loose and intermittent and you are unable to replace it, stabilant 22 will bridge the gap between contacts for you.

EDIT/UPDATE. Many engineers are crying foul on Stabilant's audiophile snake oil claims.

There's a technote on CAIG (Makers of DeOxit) with their take on the differences between the products.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.1977/KB.215/.f
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:03:13 PM by ScoobieKW »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »
I've never compared the available products and don't know the chemistry or physics that describes them. It's just that Jerry Bruck sells Stabilant 22, and was talking it up to me a few years back. I was much more resistant than he was to the claims about how the product supposedly works; it's an old story with the two of us. But he gave me a tiny sample in a plastic envelope, which then sat on my desk and got covered by a huge pile of papers.

Then later when I had this minor problem with a microphone/cable combination, I was somehow able to find the sample. I used it and the problem cleared up right away. That doesn't necessarily mean that the product fixed the problem. But the product didn't prevent the problem from being solved, either. Huzzah! My one data point.

[digression into the philosophy of David Hume omitted, but the theme was: If you really believe that causality is all in the human mind, what (if anything) do you do in response to that belief?]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:19:15 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
I use deoxit red and gold with a contact cleaner first.

Find big bottles of deoxit ted. Radio shack has small ones. I found the bigger ones at Guitar center....

One can usually lasts awhile and I spray in on my home stereo connections too.

-p

Or I have taken 90% isopropal alchohol and cleaned my noisy line in on the edirol hr09 by using guysonic method. Dip stereo connector into solution, plug into line in. Twist and turn plug. Leave a minute. Pull out and let dry. It works too.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Any suggested prefered sources for the Caig products other than RadioShack, GuitarCenter, or direct from Caig on-line? After many years my supply is finally near need of replishment.  Also, any real need for a dedicated contact-cleaner in addition to DeoxitGold?  I find Gold works beter or is at least faster as a cleaner than 90% isopropal alchohol.  Or maybe the slight fizzing up while eating the grime has simply charmed me.  To extend the supply and cut down on overspray, I tend to spray just a bit on a cotton swab and wipe contacts.  Should I try a different format like the little jar with the fingernail polish brush rather than the spray can?

[digression into the philosophy of David Hume omitted, but the theme was: If you really believe that causality is all in the human mind, what (if anything) do you do in response to that belief?]

Answer (in irony): You outwit yourself.  ;)

We tend to think of causality as a specific, direct chain of events- a forward progression in time as considered form a perspective of the past, looking forwards along the chain of events towards the future - this leading to that.  It is interesting to flip one's perspective and consider the same forward progression through time as viewed from the opposite direction: Rather than attempting to link a very specific causal series to a specific outcome (this makes that happen), re-framing the causality series as a particular outcome arising when certain preconditional events are satisfied. (that happening requires these particular preconditions).  Perhaps the same, but it frees my thinking towards considering alternate probable causes.  Specific but narrow in the first case, open but non-specific in the second.

Philisophical angles on contact cleaning, dig it!

A spilled beer caused the short. 
A short may be caused by sloppy beer handling.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
I've bought Caig stuff online at both Parts-Express.com (Ohio), and Micro Tools (Calif). Most electronics vendors have it, too. Maybe even check Amazon.

I have aerosol and teeny tubes of red and gold, and faderlube. I often spray a cotton swab with Red or apply from the vial, and use that on male XLRs, then use the aerosol extension tube on female XLRs.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Super Contact Cleaner made by MG Chemicals is what I'm using now. I read some negative things about Caig. Unfortunately I don't recall where I read that. I used Caig in the past and was happy enough with it.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
How often do you guys clean your connectors? (lots of opportunity for jokes here)

Frequently just to be safe? A few times a year? When you notice problems?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
Couple times a year, usually when pre-rigging a setup for a festival weekend in the spring and another in the fall, and of course if problems become apparent.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com