Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps KC5 or KCY?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Schoeps KC5 or KCY?
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »
So I'm about to buy a pair of KC5s and was wondering if KCY may be a better choice as I plan on getting Jon to make me a tinybox soon? (I know, make up your mind already!) Im asking because I'd like to make an informed choice before I buy. If I get KC5s I'm sure I can have the KC5s modded to work with a tinybox and be used with cmc6 bodies, if necessary, but KCY seems ready to go. I'd also like to be able to use with my MiniMe, and possibly without bodies in the configuration. What would be a better choice? I like Dnsacks rig options and would like to do something like that, but is it achievable to do with KCY and extension cables, maybe with PFAs, or is KC5 (modified) the better option, considering that I could technically spread KC5s better? I'm not saying $ is not an option but for the same results it could be a factor.
Sorry if we've covered this before. I'd just want opinions on what you all think might be a better way to go.
TIA,
Coby
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:14:31 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
Re: Schoeps KC5 or KCY?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
Thanks Jon, I was leaning this way but am for some reason having cold feet before buying.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
I run a KCY into a Littlebox. Darktrain made me a few 5-pin binder extension cables, and I couldn't be happier.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
I prefer KCY > AKI instead of KC5's - more options - extendable - supported by Schoeps - I run KCY0/250 > KS5i > AKI's cables (I built the KCY and one of my 2 AKI's) and love the compactness and easy of setup and teardown - critical when running 4 to 8 channels.

spliced KC5's should use lemos to be supported by Schoeps legacy (lemo was what schoeps rolled out in the mid 70's to accomidate custom KCY lengths and inserting cables in the middle - with ALC options - this is why the Lemosax is a Lemosax - but yeah it is the 21st century :)

To note - Schoeps did not invite Lemo only leverage their micro connectors
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:39:45 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:10 AM »
KC5 all the way. I don't see the point to the KCY junction box. It also limits flexibility because it joins the cables together. I would rather run two separate cables and join them in a connector.

I would never run a config that combined my left and right channel signals under the same shield, due to crosstalk.

Big thumbs down on lemos as useless expense.  Back in the day there were fewer options, now we have more options. They sure do look cool.

Binders are about $8-10 each. But the series commonly used by TS members is unshielded. Meaning the housing is not typically tied to ground. That is somewhat of a concern when dealing with unbalanced mic level signals.

Minixlr's cost even less, and they are shielded.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
KC5 all the way. I don't see the point to the KCY junction box. It also limits flexibility because it joins the cables together. I would rather run two separate cables and join them in a connector.

I would never run a config that combined my left and right channel signals under the same shield, due to crosstalk.

Schoeps would have never sold the KCY, AKI, VMS 02b, etc if crosstalk was an issue!

I have run KCYs (both Schoeps and mine with properly built junction boxes) and never had any issues - every recording I have heard with KCY's have not had an issue with cross talk.

If you ran very long extensions (15-20 meters) maybe it would be an issue

Don't be afraid of the KCY like "eleven" seems to be - as long as you get a one built to spec or by Schoeps.

I only pointed out Lemos as historically this is what Schoeps and even Neumann used.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:11:47 PM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Bought a pair of used KC5s today that are in excellent condition. Now to save up some money to get them "chopped" and order a tinybox from Jon.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
I have run KCYs (both Schoeps and mine with properly built junction boxes) and never had any issues - every recording I have heard with KCY's have not had an issue with cross talk.

Don't be afraid of the KCY like "eleven" seems to be - as long as you get a one built to spec or by Schoeps.

It isn't fear. It isn't subjective. You can measure it on a scope.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »

It isn't fear. It isn't subjective. You can measure it on a scope.

How did you test this out so I can setup the same thing and test with my scope?

Did you have 2 capsules attached?  Was one isolated in a semi-sound proof enclosure? etc
LMA Recordings

List

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »
I own all 3 talked about, kcys,aki,and kc5s.Kcy cables are easier to deal with running 4 channel takes up less space in the gear bag and keeps it neat  up front fob area.Ill be honest I can't hear a difference between either sets of cables.And I have switched my gear up on shows that where more than one night and in the same spot.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com