Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shapeways 3D printed mic clip questions?  (Read 9951 times)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Shapeways 3D printed mic clip questions?
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
I see that there is a clip for the AKG 480 DIN already available.  Does anyone know if it will fit the AKG 460?  I want one, but not sure if it will fit. 

AKG 480 DIN:  http://www.shapeways.com/product/UQ7BFXT2S/dina-akg480?optionId=57490953

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:12:34 PM by CorFit Chris »
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Shapeways 3D printed mic clip questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »
The 480 and the 460 are the same diameter 21mm.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:18 AM »
The 480 and the 460 are the same diameter 21mm.

Thanks, thats what I thought.  Wasn't sure if the length difference would screw with the inter-cap distance.  Shouldn't matter as I have never measured anything with my mic bars anyways.  Gracias
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »
Anyone know if there is one that might work with Busman BSC1?
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:05 AM »

I just looked at all of the SRS mounts, and he doesn't have one for the BSC1's, just the Busman BST54. Do you know what mm diameter the BSC1's are? If it's an odd number other than 19-21mm, just send Scott[SRS] an email and tell him what you want! He's more than accommodating! I just got my 2nd Combo Mount from him[DINa/NOS] and it's badass ;D Makes running the two diff configs so much smaller, compact and lightweight!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »

I just looked at all of the SRS mounts, and he doesn't have one for the BSC1's, just the Busman BST54. Do you know what mm diameter the BSC1's are? If it's an odd number other than 19-21mm, just send Scott[SRS] an email and tell him what you want! He's more than accommodating! I just got my 2nd Combo Mount from him[DINa/NOS] and it's badass ;D Makes running the two diff configs so much smaller, compact and lightweight!
I decided I'm going to send the mics in to be measured.  Sounds like I'll be without the mics for 2-3 weeks which I'm ok with after I tape a couple shows this week.
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:33 AM »
I'm 99% sure that Busman BSC1's are 22mm.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
There are 2 different sized BSC1 if I'm not mistaken.

The very first ones had the 2 switches on them (a pad and bass roll off) which the subsequent ones did not.

A friend had the early model with the switches and I have the model without and I'm pretty sure the earlier version was slightly bigger.

As I say, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Not sure how much of an issue that could be, just wanted to throw it out there in case it may matter...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

I decided I'm going to send the mics in to be measured.  Sounds like I'll be without the mics for 2-3 weeks which I'm ok with after I tape a couple shows this week.

You could always go to your local Harbor Freight[I got mine locally for $7] or hardware store and get some dirt cheap digital Calipers, and then you wouldn't have to send your mics away ;) I use my digital calipers far more than I ever thought that I would, so the $7 I spent on mine was WELL worth it! Then you wouldn't be WITHOUT your mics for weeks AND you'd have some very useful digital calipers ;D

That said, Scott[SRS] has always been very accommodating and quick with me, and I'm sure you'd have your mics back quickly if you did send them away to him ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

The very first ones had the 2 switches on them (a pad and bass roll off) which the subsequent ones did not.

A friend had the early model with the switches and I have the model without and I'm pretty sure the earlier version was slightly bigger.

Not sure how much of an issue that could be, just wanted to throw it out there in case it may matter...
Hmm, I didn't get mine that long ago and I have the model with the 2 switches.  When did the new model come out?

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
my BSC1's are a pretty low serial number, from the initial run..  they have the switches.  and i consider them 22mm. 

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »

I would not say you are mistaken, but you might have the only BSC1 set with one switch. The Busman website still shows the 22mm bodies with 2 switches. I have mine from the original run of mics, numbered  19 and 20, and they look exactly like the pictures on the Busman website. I'd like to see a photo of the mics that are larger with only one switch, as I have not seen the BSC 1's like that before. The BSC1's currently pictured on the Busman website are 22mm, exactly like my original first run set.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:53:17 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Harmon712: I got my set in October of 2010 and they do not have any switches on the bodies at all.

Dallman: Sorry if I was a bit confusing. My BSC1 set does not have any switches on them at all. What I meant was that my friend's pair (who purchased his about a year before I got mine) had the switches on them and they seemed to be slightly larger than my set that doesn't have the switches.

Unfortunately I never physically compared them side by side before he moved out of state. When I got mine I remember thinking that they seemed a bit smaller than his which I had borrowed several times before.

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »
Harmon712: I got my set in October of 2010 and they do not have any switches on the bodies at all.

Dallman: Sorry if I was a bit confusing. My BSC1 set does not have any switches on them at all. What I meant was that my friend's pair (who purchased his about a year before I got mine) had the switches on them and they seemed to be slightly larger than my set that doesn't have the switches.

Unfortunately I never physically compared them side by side before he moved out of state. When I got mine I remember thinking that they seemed a bit smaller than his which I had borrowed several times before.
Checking back at the old email I ordered mine December 2014 and I have the switches on my mics.

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »
Maybe Chris went back to the original body style at some point.

I sent him an e-mail asking about the body change and if anything else was different between the 2 sets of mics and he responded on Oct. 15, 2010:

"I changed the mics as no one including me ever used the -10db pad or bass roll off. They  only made more noise in the signal path.
Other than that the components are all the same inside and the sound is the same.  It’s just revision 2 of the mics."

Maybe he went back to the bodies with the switches on them as revision 3?

Either way I still believe that the bodies with the switches are slightly larger than those without...

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I'm curious because I honestly don't know.... is 3D printer plastic flexible enough to be trusted?  I'd be afraid the plastic is brittle and would break.

I'm more familiar with an older technology called stereolithography, where everything I've ever seen is brittle.  I realize 3D printing is more modern and different, but I thought the material properties were similar.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
Lots of advances in stereolithography resins since we started working with them in the early 90's.  Big variety available now, no worries about getting any properties you want/need.  Funny how some of the most brittle liquid resins ended up being the most stable, over time (no warping or cracking/crazing...).

Same evolution happened later with additive 3D processes, too.....better powders, filaments, adhesives....lots of material options now.

Getting closer and closer to real "production" parts now........if not there already.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Maybe Chris went back to the original body style at some point.

I sent him an e-mail asking about the body change and if anything else was different between the 2 sets of mics and he responded on Oct. 15, 2010:

"I changed the mics as no one including me ever used the -10db pad or bass roll off. They  only made more noise in the signal path.
Other than that the components are all the same inside and the sound is the same.  It’s just revision 2 of the mics."

Maybe he went back to the bodies with the switches on them as revision 3?

Either way I still believe that the bodies with the switches are slightly larger than those without...

This was interesting news. I shouldn't be surprised that Chris continues to try to improve his products, that is a plus for us all. I will say that I use the -10db pad at a few venues where am pretty close to the monitors. I am very happy for that ability on my mics, but the bass rolloff I never use and have had it accidentally flipped a few times which creates a lot of unwanted post work.

Maybe at some point you will have the opportunity to measure your mic bodies, to see what the difference is. Thanks for the info!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
^If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that if it was a crazy bass heavy show when I was running BSC1 (omni) > SD MixPre...  I would occasionally have to flip my LCF switch on the BSC1 bodies because the the signal was so hot going into the MixPre (because of the low end that the mikes were picking up and putting out).  But the omni's have serious low end IMO..  the BSC1's have a pretty hot output IMO..  and MixPre has super hot inputs.  So that LCF switch saved my ass a few times I think.

.....this stuff is totally off-topic but relative to the conversation......  sorry.

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 06:18:51 AM »
There is now one available in ORTF for Busman BSC1.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/BG98ZWZXX/ortf-bsc1?optionId=61422873

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
I'm curious because I honestly don't know.... is 3D printer plastic flexible enough to be trusted?  I'd be afraid the plastic is brittle and would break.

I'm more familiar with an older technology called stereolithography, where everything I've ever seen is brittle.  I realize 3D printing is more modern and different, but I thought the material properties were similar.

I bought a DINa/DIN one for my microphones. Its quite strong.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com