Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: i know its here somewhere...XLR info please  (Read 2119 times)

Offline gristlejaw

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • The Gainesville Band Page
i know its here somewhere...XLR info please
« on: September 14, 2003, 09:46:12 PM »
Ok..newbie DAT taper here.  

I need to find info for XLR's on the soundboard for patching. i need to know the cheapest way to set it up to go from (male? Female?...which one) to the 1/8" mini jack on a port-a-DAT.  Are there issues with the $5 XLR adapters or do they work ok?

Also while i'm posting...i would like some opinions/suggestions on low cost (at or near $100) mics for stealth/hand held taping....will record mostly small venues, very loud punk shows.  What are peoples thoughts on cardoid vs. binaural?

thanx,

-gris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 09:46:51 PM by gristlejaw »
Anybody I find bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat!

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:i know its here somewhere...XLR info please
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 11:32:59 PM »
so you need a cable that goes xlr>mini?  you have to see stereo or not, for sbd patches, depends on the sbd, if it has xlr outs, rca tape outs are easy, or 1/4.  the adapters usually work ok, i've had little to no trouble with adapters, but as for mics, to record LOUD punk shows...  for bout $100, cuttin it short.  maybe look for somthing used, when you are lookin to buy, look at max SPL.  some mics like the akg 391 can go up to 142 db.  look up your mics. umm  for stealth, check out www.soundprofessionals.com they have your stealthy products, but if your going to be running a matrix mix from your mics and the SBD, you need to know about delays and whatnot cause the sbd feed will usually be faster than the mics and you would want to avoid any possible delays, i'd say if your gonna be taping punk stuff, if everything is amplified from amps to the drum set, run sbd, don't mess with mics, but any punk show i've been to hasn't had proper sound engineers, so i'd run some mics.. easy, done, but you will probably have to give up a more than 100, good luck.

peace.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline blu666z

• Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 12:14:44 AM »
I had this cable for a while before I had a little more heavy-duty one made at KindKables.  Worked great.  Used it to go from my battery box to XLR inputs on my UA-5.  Opposite direction that you are talking about but should work just.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-XLRM-MINI-2&type=store

-Kevin

Offline gristlejaw

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • The Gainesville Band Page
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 05:01:49 AM »
thanks for the info guys. it was helpful and i'm on my way.....but could you clarify something for me?  if some soundboards only have xlr outputs..... are they always going to be mono and are they typically male? (so i would only need to buy a female>1/4" or 1/8" adapter?)

thanks.

-gris

p.s. those sound professional binaurals look good. no?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 05:03:13 AM by gristlejaw »
Anybody I find bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 12:19:49 PM »
I have seen plenty of boards with rca out also
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com