Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tips for getting into taper friendly show with unfriendly staff?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Tips for getting into taper friendly show with unfriendly staff?
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:20:23 AM »
If you are entering a taper friendly show with visible gear, but run into trouble with staff who either work for the venue or the band, what can you do?

Let's assume there is no prior contact with the band to help verify who you are.  The only thing I can think of is printing off the most relevant statement you can find online that the band allows taping.  Other than that, it seems you're at the mercy of how much the staff cares to help you.

Any tips or suggestions to avoid hassles?
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Tips for getting into taper friendly show with unfriendly staff?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:27:10 AM »
If you are entering a taper friendly show with visible gear, but run into trouble with staff who either work for the venue or the band, what can you do?

Let's assume there is no prior contact with the band to help verify who you are.  The only thing I can think of is printing off the most relevant statement you can find online that the band allows taping.  Other than that, it seems you're at the mercy of how much the staff cares to help you.

Any tips or suggestions to avoid hassles?

If you can get a photo pass as a media rep, that would also help. The door security won't touch you, and once inside, you can get your rig out.

Other ideas:
Call the venue in advance, ask to speak to the boss/band booker/stage manager. Explain the situation and fax them the statement.
Call the record company representative in advance, do the same thing there, and ask him to pull the strings for you.
If the security is on lease from another security company, do the same thing again.

Perhaps not the answer you're looking for, since you assumed no advance contact. But that's what I'd do, short of stealthing my stuff...

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
A lot depends of the size of the band and how much weight they have.  I've had the experience that a band may allow taping but if the venue wants to prohibit taping, the smaller band may be hassled into backing down.  If this happens over the phone, you have no chance to get the right people together and once a venue manager has said 'no' they don't easily back down later.  I've had some luck getting the venue security lead to contact the band to check.   Having a printout of the band's policy is good but you also need to know the name of the person(s) who can speak for the band and then telling the security lead to contact that person to verify.  Once inside, have a very low profile so next time the venue staff remembers you as a positive experience.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:02:35 AM »
get there early & walk in w. the band you want to record...works every time for me

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
Anytime I think I may be hassled by security or I am not sure of the band's policy, I email the band management and get their permission in writing. That way when I get to the venue I can simply show them the correspondence and get in/record hassle free. If you can't get an email back from them, I would just write down the contact's name that gave you permission so that you can get them involved if you have a problem at the entrance.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:37:55 AM »
I don't know why we go through this.  It is just a pain in the ass sometimes.

One example: I've taped the band probably four or five times, I know the venue and the house sound crew.  So, I set up my gear (clamped up way fob) for the opening act (and the backing crew for the headliner, but they have their own band as well) and start rolling.  I know the opener loves to be taped.  Then the house sound guy says I got to take it down.  I say, wtf?  Then he points to the sound guy who travels with the band -- who I have met several times before while taping -- and he says, *their* sound guy says no.  So, I approach the band's sound guy, he says, no taping, doesn't remember me either.  He's a real prick about it too.  OK, I turn it off and two minutes later the headliner comes out and I ask them to give the OK.  So I turn my gear back on.  About 2mins of dead ear for the opening band, and a whole lot of bullshit.

It is at times like this that I think I should just go back to stealth and be done with it.  Send copies *after the fact*, to everyone, band, venue, soundguys, at least whoever genuinely wants a copy in the first place.  I have *never* had anyone say, you shouldn't have taped that, lol.

OK, rant mode off...

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fey-metallica

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:54:49 AM »
I had that once too, taped the band before with permission, but didn't asked the second time because I thought it was ok. Then the tourmanager walks up to me at half the show and tells me to give him the tape. I did print the permission from the previous time and told him I did had permission. He agreed on walking up to the band after the show and ask what was going on. They happily agreed on me filming and wanted a copy too.
Here (Holland) I never found a venue who said no to taping when you can show them a piece of paper with a statement from the band that it's ok to record their show. My advice to the topic starter would be if you want to record a taper friendly band then get their permission, which won't hurt anytime and might save your ass too.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:58:46 PM »
get there early & walk in w. the band you want to record...works every time for me

qft, +T.  This is the only full on guarantee I can think of.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com